Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 07:24 PM

85 posts, read 114,070 times

Advertisements

The numbers are all over the place, but 6-10% seems to be the most recent consensus. Asians are moving southwest generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 08:58 AM

441 posts, read 231,582 times
So asians and hispanics are growing in the city, white growth is slowly growing/stagnant, meanwhile the black population in this city is in a straight free fall. This city (especially with the migrants coming in) will 100% be majority hispanic in a couple years, and officially by the 2030 census. Whites will fall to second place, blacks will be in 3rd as they continue to free fall, meanwhile asians will be in 4th (they're the fastest growing demographic in the city, could be 3rd in a couple decades).

As I said before, the city is definitely becoming more integrated. Hispanics moving into black neighborhoods, asians moving into hispanic neighborhoods, etc.

The black neighborhoods in this city (with a few exceptions) are a disaster. It's funny, people always talk about white flight, but what we have going on now is black flight. Newsflash, the black people are fleeing black people LOL. And they're moving to nice white safe suburbs.

Old 09-22-2023, 03:47 PM

50 posts, read 28,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Playing devil's advocate here....but why? So long as there's no law precluding integration and workforces are integrated and services given to all...at some point doesn't it boil down to preference? And given that preference is free to form, and allows for enough people to get actually specialized neighborhood cuisine and culture....can't that be a good thing?

The neighborhood I live in has a vast majority of Asians. The next largest group is Latinos. There's nearly no people of African or European descent for miles around. At the nearest commercial corner, I can go to restaurants specializing in Korean BBQ, Vietnamese Rice, Vietnamese Pho, Muslim Chinese, generic Thai, Wu Chinese, Hong Kong Chinese, Peking Chinese, Dumpling Fusion, Shanghai Sweet and a couple western hot, there's multiple tea and che places.....but I can't get a cheeseburger and there isn't a bar. (And no it's not Chinatown)

At a certain density level, there's only so much room for churches/temples, grocery stores, clothing stores for a given area So preference matters. I have a pick in Chicago if I want to hear mass in Polish, but not every neighborhood will have that.

In the olden days of Chicago, neighborhood selection was much tougher. Whether it was from laws or just culture. If the Ukranian Village was the only place for Ukranians to go....and some other group began making inroads into their neighborhood, it was either defeat it or risk not having a place to go as all other neighborhoods were defending the same thing. The great migration from the South disrupted a lot of these neighborhoods on the South Side, and the ones that it didn't, for a time...became more racist to keep it that way.

Fast forward to today, and I'll admit it's been a minute since I've gotten to go back to Chicago, but the unique neighborhoods that everyone can freely visit really became part of the charm of the city. Each neighborhood had its own gems if you went to look for them and some of those gems were because there was cultural segregation and a neighborhood was close.

It would be awful to wash all of that away. A cool topic would be listing the neighborhoods and naming what those gems are.

Now if it's a matter or using integration to bring up the fact that some neighborhoods are just plain under-served...that's also a topic....but integration alone isn't going to fix that.
Why do we expect people to segregate if we are all Americans at some point? If you immigrate here and expect to still be around people that look or act like you in 2023 then they might as well go back to their country, and I mean no disrespect with this. Chicago is a cosmopolitan city, many different ethnicities are going to be or live around each other. Chicago will never progress because it still has this backwards thinking. people love to parade around this "diversity" in Chicago but no one wants to be around it lmao. It's funny to see. And its why our neighborhoods still look the way they do today.

Don't expect change or innovation when everyone forces themselves to be separate over trivial **** like background or skin color. Chicago will never be on the scale of NYC with that thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago