Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 08:36 AM

85 posts, read 113,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
Neighborhoods are constantly changing. There's a flip side to that. Madison street used to be skid row in the 70's and 80's, now Madison in West Loop is super developed. Lincoln Park had gangbangers in the 70's, as did Wicker Park. Try finding gangbangers living in either hood now. Bridgeport used to be Italian, now it's Asian. Pilsen was Czech, then Hispanic, now it's turning White non HIspanic. Nothing stays the same, thats life.
Hispanic neighborhoods can and have improved since they still maintained stability even in the bad days. At the worst, with gunfire at night and bangers with face tattoos terrorizing the streets, there were still businesses, 2-parent households, community spirit, and even some older white (often Catholic) holdouts.

Black neighborhoods fell a lot harder. Far, far, far more 1-parent households, disinvestment, uniquely unmotivated youth, etc. That kind of chaos is not gentrifiable without massive population influxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 01:45 PM

886 posts, read 626,468 times
There was a study published by the Brookings Institution in 2019 which listed Milwaukee as the most segregated city in the US.

According to this study, roughly 75% of black residents in Milwaukee would need to relocate in order to live in fully integrated neighborhoods with whites.

Also, the Brookings study stated that about 70% of blacks would have to relocate to live in a completely integrated neighborhood with whites in 6 other major US cities. They are New York, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Buffalo.

Old 09-18-2023, 02:15 PM

8,342 posts, read 2,969,036 times
Freedom to segregate or integrate. Nothing wrong with either choice and neither should be forced.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:00 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,082,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearwest View Post
There was a study published by the Brookings Institution in 2019 which listed Milwaukee as the most segregated city in the US.

According to this study, roughly 75% of black residents in Milwaukee would need to relocate in order to live in fully integrated neighborhoods with whites.

Also, the Brookings study stated that about 70% of blacks would have to relocate to live in a completely integrated neighborhood with whites in 6 other major US cities. They are New York, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Buffalo.
So, if 75% of black residents move what does that mean to the old neighborhood - does it just empty out?

It can't just be black people moving to white neighborhoods, but also has to include relocating white people to make it all work out.

Just looking at black/white mix, if 75% of the City of Milwaukee's black population moved, then up to 80% of Milwaukee's white population would also have to relocate to fill their place in order to desegregate where they came from. If looking at all of Milwaukee County, it would require 38% of white people to relocate.

Of course it's much more complicated than that, but highly segregated neighborhoods don't desegregate just by people moving away without basically destroying the neighborhood. It takes people moving in to balance the numbers.

Old 09-18-2023, 06:55 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,267,221 times
Way to put my hometown, Milwaukee, on the map!

Old 09-19-2023, 01:27 PM

119 posts, read 86,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Way to put my hometown, Milwaukee, on the map!

I guess i'm not surprised. My daughter is only one of 2 white kids in her class. The history of Milwaukee is pretty interesting though. From what i read, in the 1800's thru the early 1900's Milwaukee used to be the most German city west of Berlin & from the 1960s onward the Germans moved out to the suburban parts of Milwaukee into mostly Waukesha county. I guess my daughter's moving this week though, so she will be one of the last to leave the city.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:41 PM

Kraftask, good day! I hope your daughter will be somewhere she is happy! THAT is the most important!

Old 09-19-2023, 01:58 PM

119 posts, read 86,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kraftask, good day! I hope your daughter will be somewhere she is happy! THAT is the most important!

Thanks man. So how are you likening Chicago? I take it you mostly linger on the Northside? I'd imagine it's probably a breath of fresh air compared to your hometown.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:12 PM

Kraftask, Last weekend I was n Lincoln Square for an Art Walk Fest.

And this Saturday I'll be at an Oktoberfest in Lincoln Park neighborhood.

So I'm having a great time!

Old 09-20-2023, 08:25 AM

553 posts, read 410,076 times
I've read estimates that Bronzeville is 20% Asian now up from 5% a decade ago but sources are all over the place. Anyone know of current info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago