Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 08:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Hello Team,

I just perused a google search. It indicated out of 163 cities named, Chicago was the 3rd worst, in terms of "bikeability."

Yesterday I parked by Wrightwood Park (near Ashland and Fullerton). I had to go past Clybourn and Webster because I heard Barnes and Noble there had closed. Sadly, it was true.

I went over to the 606 but only took it up to Damon because I wanted to check out Lotties/Mollies. They had a nice petting zoo, and also a jazz band with the street closed off. Very cool!

I jumped back on the 606 and got off on Western. I went due south to the outdoor, closed off street dining at Ignotz, by 24th and Oakley. I lost track of time because I had such a great time with staff AND diners!

Sadly, I had to face reality of biking back to my car, because THEN I had to drive back to Milwaukee. Got home around midnight, so O could get up at 4:30 a.m. and do my best zombie impression at work.

Except for some torn up sidewalk ( I KNOW, a lot of people want bikes off the sidewalks), I didn't find the biking to be bad. And, of course, I also rode plenty of my trip in the street.

The beauty of the north side, outside of being geographically closer to Milwaukee, is the amount of actual trails. I've got the North Branch which I've done from Morton Grove to Gompers Park... There's the trail that goes from the Yellow Line station in Skokie to Forest Glen, by Bryn Mawr... There's a mini trail in Lincolnwood from Touhy to Devon.... There's the North Shore Channel route along McCormick from Green Bay Road in Evanston to Lincoln Square neighborhood... And of course, the lake front.

I'd say Chicago is rather blessed with all those trails. If I can bring my bike down, I bet Chicagoans can find a way to get to the north side and do some good biking!

Over the last 10 years I've brought a group of retirees to bike 1 to 3 times a summer, in Chicago. I have introduced them to every area I've mentioned in this post, and they LOVE it!

Please share your comments and experiences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 08:50 PM

22 posts, read 8,898 times
Master Jay you know they will come in and add how bad Chicago is in everything now. I think I found the link.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/07...advocates-say/

The PeopleForBikes report gave a key reason before someone sees UNSAFE and says it is about bikers getting robbed or something.

Part of why Chicago ranked so low in PeopleForBikes’ report is because the data’s scoring algorithm considers streets with speed limits at 30 miles per hour as unsafe for cycling, which is the default speed limit for most Chicago streets. While that scoring could skew results, it’s part of the problem that contributes to unsafe road conditions for cyclists, Islam said.

I think Chicago has decent lanes in mostly gentrified areas most bikers are. Far less in regular neighborhoods much fewer bike anyway.

I know when I was in Chicago I was not fond of bikes on a street with the marked lane right next to cars parked already at the curb to their right and left are the cars driving. I think if someone was in one of them parked cars and opened the driverside door at the exact instant a biker went by.... kaboom and them bikers seem like they all went faster than the cars.

For one Chicago is flat and streets are not super-narrow compared to some cities in the East. Philadelphia has some narrow streets especially its Center City compared to Chicago's core.

I would think ALLEYWAYS SHOULD COUNT. No other city as them so standard and connected as Chicago. Why not use them. A year or 2 ago I saw a video made by a biker with the cam on a gimbal going through alleys I think it was Lincoln Park? He got to a regular street closed for outdoor dining and goes right through that the cam extended on the gimbal looking like he is speeding past tables and all waking. It was like an action speed video. Nice really perfect day etc.

So that biker clearly used the alleys to get from point A to B also and you do not have the racing cars like main streets. Guess they are not an official bike lane so too bad Chicago.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:20 PM

moderatedensityand green, thank you.

Yes, that was the article I saw, so I appreciate you attaching that.

I am grateful for many, many biking experiences to date, and the many more I anticipate for the future!

Old 07-19-2023, 06:41 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Uh,excuse me but in Chicago if one is over 12 years old, biking on the sidewalk is illegal. That is, unless one is accompanying a child.

I once reminded a bicycle cop of this and he laughed and said that I knew the rules but he was stopping at a store.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:04 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
I don’t trust these surveys. Tampa doesn’t seem to be on the list and it is horrible. Jacksonville is also worse… I don’t know what metrics these people use. Those are just two of the places I’ve lived where you basically need to be crazy to bike ride any long distance.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:17 AM

Manigault, you ARE right.

Old 07-19-2023, 07:18 AM

RamenAddict, thank you for sharing.

I thought I read somewhere a few years ago that Milwaukee Avenue was one of the most bicycle-ridden streets in the city, perhaps?

Old 07-19-2023, 08:19 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
I find Chicago very bikeable and used to do my version of commuting by bike -- I would ride 2 blocks to the bus stop in the morning and put the bike on the front hanger. Then, in the evening, I would ride home. My downtown office had a locked bike room. Its great riding south now, particularly with the three new overpasses from the lakeside bike path.

The one thing I avoided was 'Bike the Drive'. Why would I pay to ride on Lake Shore Drive when I rode on the lakefront bike path for free 3 or 4 times a week?

Chicago's flatness makes it very suitable for cycling, in my opinion and in my experience. I have been fortunate in that, for the most part, I don't have to use those bike lanes on the boulevards.

Old 07-19-2023, 08:38 AM

I find fellow bicyclists, along with walkers (or cars when in the streets) to be cooperative with space.

One time I was biking on the sidewalk with a buddy from Milwaukee, on the east side of the street near Ashland and Elston. (In my attempt to claim innocence, there was NO ONE on the sidewalk). But then a guy walking onto the sidewalk from the crossroad had some choice words to share.... We were technically in the wrong, so neither of us chose to reply.

However, another time, I was TOTALLY IN THE RIGHT, riding in the proper lane in the North Branch Trail, near Central and Caldwell). Suddenly 2 guys came around the corner fast like bats out of hell. They were side by side with one of the guys headed right for me... And the guy in the wrong lane yelled at ME!!!.... Well, in THAT episode, I chose to jump off my bike right in that spot, and I challenged those guys to a duel. I'm 99% a VERY patient person, but something about that one sparked me.... Oh well, they just kept riding.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:08 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,132,544 times
I would love to start biking here and there in the city but it seems the relationship between drivers and bikers in Chicago is so contentious that I don't think I could do it and feel safe. I have a few bikes in my garage that with a little work would be rideable. Maybe I'll start out using only side streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago