Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 PM

500 posts, read 910,306 times

Advertisements

A dumb meatball drunk will harass you from time to time, especially if you're on the red line after a game. But I used to always wear a Sox hat in Rogers Park and Logan Square and no one cared, only .1% of sober Chicagoans would care.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoman! View Post
Originally from po-dunk northern IL, Sox fan since the 90's, will soon be moving to Lakeview.

Seriously, how much trouble am I asking for if I wear a Sox hat on the northside? I'm not talking about going into the Cubby Bear and picking fights or anything, just wearing it around town...

Just curious...
You are asking for death. Instant painful death if you wear it anywhere within a mile of Clark and Addison. That is like wearing Disciples colours in a Latin King neighbourhood! Or a redneck with a Confederate flag hat in Lawndale! No doubt the Cubbie faithful will take batting practice on your head.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Yeah, it's not like Lakeview has toughguys, the young fellas there are bourgeois frat-boys and metrasexual "hipsters" (a term which must have 1950s hipsters like Lenny Bruce rolling in their graves).

I wore a Sox hat when I lived in Uptown, nobody bothered me but then nobody bothers me.
Hey those guys in the Cubbie Glee Club can give you a good whuppin!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Seriously, when I lived in Chicago I had both a Sox hat and coat and I still am a Sox man even though I live in Braves territory now. I lived in Edgewater and wore them failthfully- not only around the north side but even to WRIGLEY itself when they played the Sox (Crosstown Classic). Nobody ever said a thing.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Not at all. It certainly is not the best but it has never been the worst.
No, that distiction- among white trash neighbourhoods- belongs to Canareyville which is neighbour to Bridgeport. But it does serve one purpose for Chicago. Chicago is home to the Jerry Springer show and the show has had to spend lots of money to fly in guest and put them up at local hotels. The hotels were complaining that the guest were messing up the rooms and trying to order road kill from room service. So now they just go to Bridgeport and Canaryville to get their guest. Sort of like "West Virginia in Chicago"!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManheimMadman View Post
So trashy and low class that I only wish I could afford to buy a $400K house there. What do you mean this isn't Englewood?
A fool and his money are soon parted. Anybody that would spend $400K to live in Bridgeport is a FOOL. You could by a house in Wilmette for that kind of dough and not have your neighbours raising farm animals in the backyard!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoman! View Post
Originally from po-dunk northern IL, Sox fan since the 90's, will soon be moving to Lakeview.

Seriously, how much trouble am I asking for if I wear a Sox hat on the northside? I'm not talking about going into the Cubby Bear and picking fights or anything, just wearing it around town...

Just curious...

Be prepared to get razed, but take it with a good sense of humor and even laugh at their little rips and cut downs and you might even make some new friends... honestly! I wear my Sox stuff on the north side all the time and get little comments from people at bars and stuff all the time, but I joke right back with the other person and before you know it, you are talking about our "wonderful" Chicago weather... moaning and groaning to no end and the next thing you know, you just made a new friend.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Be prepared to get razed, but take it with a good sense of humor and even laugh at their little rips and cut downs and you might even make some new friends... honestly! I wear my Sox stuff on the north side all the time and get little comments from people at bars and stuff all the time, but I joke right back with the other person and before you know it, you are talking about our "wonderful" Chicago weather... moaning and groaning to no end and the next thing you know, you just made a new friend.

That's true, wearing Sox stuff in a North Side tavern is a good ice breaker and opening to conversation. People are pretty good natured about this stuff really.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:49 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Seriously, when I lived in Chicago I had both a Sox hat and coat and I still am a Sox man even though I live in Braves territory now. I lived in Edgewater and wore them failthfully- not only around the north side but even to WRIGLEY itself when they played the Sox (Crosstown Classic). Nobody ever said a thing.

KevK? Kevin Kavanaugh, the boilermaker out'a Local 1?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
KevK? Kevin Kavanaugh, the boilermaker out'a Local 1?
Nope. NABET Local 41.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago