Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 09:28 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...6&opi=89978449

Stats don't lie. We all know Chicago's reputation is saved by the northside and downtown. If the south/west sides (2/3 of the city) was its own city, it would be #1 on every crime lists. Englewood and Austin are some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country.

Chicago has led the nation in homicides for 10+ years straight, despite only being the 3rd largest city. Why do NY/LA, which have triple/quadruple Chicago's population, have far less crime? Why do we put up with it and just brush it off
?
Exactly, Chicago's crime is embarrassing. And enablers try to compare us to St Louis and Baltimore. The two ****tiest cities in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 02:33 PM

441 posts, read 230,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Exactly, Chicago's crime is embarrassing. And enablers try to compare us to St Louis and Baltimore. The two ****tiest cities in America.

Lmao when I see boosters comparing Chicago to cities like Rockford, Kankakee, St Louis, and Baltimore in terms of crime, I get second hand embarrassment. Dawg we're a world class city (as they say), why not compare us to our actual peers? Like NY,SF, LA, Dallas, Boston, etc.

I saw on Twitter this tweet which was SUPER ACCURATE, but i don't remember the full tweet. I think it said Chicago is so content with being D- that being D+ is seen as an accomplishment (in terms of crime), and that is so true. Okay, homicides are down 5%, thats still nothing to celebrate. Chicago has more homicides than NY and LA combined despite being far smaller.

But anyway, don't want this thread to get too off topic. Why is Chicago not building units?

Old 10-06-2023, 04:09 PM

253 posts, read 123,842 times
There's a specific topic for discussing crime, if you guys are done talking about residential units.

Old 10-06-2023, 09:28 PM

253 posts, read 199,907 times
Quote:
Why does Chicago not need new housing but our peer cities do? According to you...
I just said. There's enough housing stock to supply the market.
chicago already grew. Other cities are growing.

Old 10-07-2023, 10:57 AM

441 posts, read 230,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
I just said. There's enough housing stock to supply the market.
chicago already grew. Other cities are growing.

No there's not, not on the northside. Housing is actually pretty competitive in neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview.

And lol...NYC is like a 150 years older than Chicago and is literally #1 on this list so that invalidates your second point. Why is Chicago not growing?

Old 10-08-2023, 09:06 AM

934 posts, read 1,442,510 times
The numbers seem to fluctuate noticeably year to year. The data that complies the prior 3 years (2020-2022) shows Chicago ranking among the top 10 in terms of city construction, and number 13 in terms of metro. Better than I would've thought, honestly.

In a dataset crowded with coastal and sun-belt cities, it's good to see at least two Midwestern cities ranking.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 10-08-2023 at 09:19 AM..

Old 10-08-2023, 08:19 PM

253 posts, read 199,907 times
Quote:
No there's not, not on the northside. Housing is actually pretty competitive in neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Lakeview.

And lol...NYC is like a 150 years older than Chicago and is literally #1 on this list so that invalidates your second point. Why is Chicago not growing?
I just said.. for the 2nd time. There's plenty of land in Chicago, due to it being abandoned during white flight like many other rust belt cities.

If there's no housing on the northside then people are moving to the near west side which has had a boom, or the old cabrini greens, etc.
Because there is PLENTY of land in Chicago. As I said.

Old 10-09-2023, 07:46 AM

85 posts, read 113,863 times
The city isn't growing because too few people are moving here, staying here, and having families. I don't think those are particularly controversial observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago