Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times

Advertisements

The article talks about how developers were allowed to build larger buildings in Santa Monica in exchange for renting a number of units out as low income. Turns out that no one was watching to see if that took place. In one example a building that was supposed to rent the 1st floor for $1,200 a month to families that qualified, those units were being rented out for $2,000 a month to families that were not low income.

In Santa Monica, affordable-housing rental agreements are often not enforced - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,939,395 times
This happens a lot in NYC...HIGH END developers one of which Donald Trump get grants low interest loans and other funding IF they do a 80/20 agreement...80 percent of the people rent at market 20 percent for low or middle income...VERY SELDOM is the rule followed and IF so its not a Fair lottery or fair application process...meaning people pay someone off to get one of the lower income apts...

Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,577 times
Santa Monica is bracing for a growth spurt - latimes.com

Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,902,712 times
I don't think Santa Monicans benefit from the low rental units, because anyone from anywhere can apply for the lottery, not just Santa Monicans.

So Santa Monica is actually importing low income people into the city. Why?

To maintain a large voter base for the ruling Santa Monicans For Renters Rights political coalition, which almost always manages to get its candidates elected to local office.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
I don't think Santa Monicans benefit from the low rental units, because anyone from anywhere can apply for the lottery, not just Santa Monicans. So Santa Monica is actually importing low income people into the city. Why?
I believe the "affordable" housing is actually of the income restricted variety. Meaning you can't make more than a certain amount of money in order to qualify for it. Here's an example of an income restricted unit. As you can see on their site they have about 20 large rental properties in Santa Monica alone.

Olympic Studio Lofts | NMS Apartments

Moderate: For 1 person your income may not exceed $59,800.00 for the current and previous year. For 2 people the combined income may not exceed $68,400.00 for the current and previous year. Our maximum occupancy rate is 2 people.

Low: For 1 person your income may not exceed $35,880 for the current and previous year. For 2 people the combined income may not exceed $41,040 for the current and previous year. Our maximum occupancy rate is 2 people. Our maximum occupancy rate is 2 people.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
I see the OP's thread is old, but I'm not surprised that the rules are not being followed. It seems like it would be really difficult to track or account for something like that.

Meanwhile the developers get tax subsidies at taxpayer expense. Nice.

Interesting article about Santa Monica...change is definitely coming.

I agree with the 90 yr old resident that didn't buy the argument of density encouraging people to 'throw away their cars'.

Also i can see how she would be frustrated with everything going 'upscale' and having this highend/upscale retail places replaces replacing the long time places.

On the other hand this change is long overdue and perhaps people are realizing that antigrowth might not be the best thing and it makes sense that the future subway would bring change and that the city would want to take advantage of this.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM

I live in Santa Monica and there's already a building boom of sorts in the downtown area between Colorado and Wilshire. I personally wouldn't want to live around there (expensive, noisy and horrible traffic.) There's also some big apartment/condo buildings going up along Ocean Ave by Pico.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Do they tell you the monthly rental rates for a low or moderate income person?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I believe the "affordable" housing is actually of the income restricted variety. Meaning you can't make more than a certain amount of money in order to qualify for it. Here's an example of an income restricted unit. As you can see on their site they have about 20 large rental properties in Santa Monica alone.

Olympic Studio Lofts | NMS Apartments

Moderate: For 1 person your income may not exceed $59,800.00 for the current and previous year. For 2 people the combined income may not exceed $68,400.00 for the current and previous year. Our maximum occupancy rate is 2 people.

Low: For 1 person your income may not exceed $35,880 for the current and previous year. For 2 people the combined income may not exceed $41,040 for the current and previous year. Our maximum occupancy rate is 2 people. Our maximum occupancy rate is 2 people.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Do they tell you the monthly rental rates for a low or moderate income person?
Yes, for moderate income it's $1495/mo. I believe for low income residents it's $1200/mo which I don't think is very "affordable" for someone making under $36k/yr. Seems like it's rife for abuse if you have a low income on paper. Like your parents pay your bills or you work in a profession that "deals in cash."

Old 11-06-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
Yes, for moderate income it's $1495/mo. I believe for low income residents it's $1200/mo which I don't think is very "affordable" for someone making under $36k/yr. Seems like it's rife for abuse if you have a low income on paper. Like your parents pay your bills or you work in a profession that "deals in cash."
Yeah the $1495 isn't too bad if you are making in the 50s..but $1200 making under 36k is a bit high..

I definitely agree that I could see a lot of people claiming lower amounts to get lower rent.

It's hard to track stuff like family payments via Paypal, check or cash.

This is why I don't really agree with these types of programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles