Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 11:53 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I remember, years ago, I had started a new job and walked out of my River North office one evening and saw that view - THAT VIEW - all twinkling lights and sunset over the river surrounded by such beautiful glimmering architecture. I was getting all misty eyed engulfed in the beauty of it all…

As someone who grew up in Chicago, went to one of the aforementioned Chicago universities, and works for a company with both Chicago and LA offices (and lived in both cities), I find it peculiar that previous poster “BlowM3” (a real class act - does not represent us) thinks Chicago is so much less “energetic and outspoken” as compared to LA. Seriously? The east coast and midwest business climates have the reputation as being faster paced, more aggressive, more hard-working/nose to the grindstone than the perceived LA market.

Trigger warning - some stereotypes ahead:

Not saying LA isn’t “energetic and outspoken” but c’mon it also has the “reputation” (deserved or not) as being a very laid-back, yoga zen living, pointless Instagram posting, vegan acai spinach smoothie cleansing, Botox pumping, Kardashian emulating, chill dude let’s smoke a doobie, start work 2+ hours later than everyone else, and surf during lunchtime culture.

In Chicago, a lot of people are fueled mainly by coffee and red meat, lots of red meat, and often emulate the aggressive energy of “The Bear” culture over the low energy, vegan latte Kardashians. I mean, have you not seen the SNL skit “The Californians” and its perception of “LA people.” There’s a grain of truth to it. Note even the much slower cadence of low energy LA speak.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-08-2024 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 12:48 PM

62 posts, read 19,298 times
This looong nearly 5 hr video still is full of skyline views from the lake and from above by drone. Scrolling you get the scope and heights of the Chicago skyline. From after the 2:14 hr mark it runs into a due west view from Lake Michigan onto the skyline as the supertalls take on profiles like the NYC skinnies in peaks. Then it looks up the mouth from the lake into the Chicago river and the canyon view with the Trump in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u_YZdp8cdM

Clearly all the views thru the video show why 2nd city by is core and skyline definitely can fit....

Old 01-08-2024, 01:59 PM

552 posts, read 407,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
I think it would still be a losing battle for LA if we take into account neighborhoods beyond downtown. Remember, Chicago was the fastest growing city in the world during the later half of the 19th century. A construction boom always coincides with a population boom, so Chicago has a much larger quantity of pre-World War I housing stock compared to LA. Chicago neighborhoods are older and denser - filled with 2 and 3 flats, courtyard apartments, and newer multifamily buildings.

Chicago is a 19th century city and Los Angeles is a 20th century city.
This is it. Everyone focuses on Chicago's downtown but L.A. has no equivalent to the historic built environments of neighborhoods like Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Uptown, Hyde Park and South Shore.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:38 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Das_Interwebz View Post
Clearly all the views thru the video show why 2nd city by is core and skyline definitely can fit....
A misleading enhanced vid, for starters; there's no pollution.
There are almost no days during summer, when it's rocky mountain clear air downtown.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:40 PM

253 posts, read 122,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
There are almost no days during summer, when it's rocky mountain clear air downtown.
Pollution or humidity? Outside of summer, the air is crystal clear.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:01 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,848,685 times
Quote:
Huh? Chicago's not exactly known for its terrible air pollution, especially downtown where there are virtually no smoky anything.

I'll tell you from experience, I've been on the Chicago riverfront, in person, many times. Everything sparkles just like that video unless it's foggy/rainy out.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:41 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Quote:
I disagree. I feel like the majority of my summer days are spent sitting on the lake (on a boat deck) taking in the clear blue skies and beautiful skyline over Monroe Harbor. So very many clear summer days.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-08-2024 at 09:49 PM..

Old 01-09-2024, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Huh? Chicago's not exactly known for its terrible air pollution

https://phys.org/news/2023-03-smog-c...ois-worst.html
"Newly released data from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency show air pollution from the city and 120 of its suburbs contributes more to smog violations in other states than any other county."

Old 01-09-2024, 12:24 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
Quote:
https://phys.org/news/2023-03-smog-c...ois-worst.html
"Newly released data from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency show air pollution from the city and 120 of its suburbs contributes more to smog violations in other states than any other county."
I don't think you have any clue what you're talking about. The article you sourced only refers to the contribution that ALL of Cook County has towards Smog as it relates to Wisconsin. That has nothing to do with how much smog chicago itself has nor does it help make your point about Chicago being heavily polluted. Just because a city is a top contributor to smog in another area, does not mean it is a heavy smog producer. In fact, your article even states that Sheboygan (pop: 49,931) sees more smog than Chicago. Chicago is the largest metro area in all of the midwest so of course it will contribute "the most" to other local areas in terms of pollution.

That video echoes exactly what many of us Chicagoans see at this time of year. Downtown is gorgeous MOST days. Luckily we aren't like Seattle where it rains or is foggy often throughout the year. Usually downtown is very clear.

Old 01-09-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
nor does it help make your point about Chicago being heavily polluted. Just because a city is a top contributor to smog in another area, does not mean it is a heavy smog producer.

Nonsense, every city is heavily polluted.
One only need look at live cams during summer months to see, or in this case; not see.

As for Chicago vs. LA, LA is too spread out; and simply cannot compare to Chicago architecture and history.
There's very little in common between these 2 cities, other than pollution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago