Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 AM

67 posts, read 208,590 times

Advertisements

I noticed the reverse/converse situation at University of Chicago. A lot of east coasters attend U of C and almost all of them arrive here with the "NYC and Boston are the only truly cosmopolitan/cultured cities in the U.S. and the entire Midwest including Chicago is hickville" attitude. After being in Chicago for 2-4 years most will grudgingly concede that it is a pretty cool place and comparable to NYC/Boston, but most of them still take east coast jobs. Very few stay in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,137,190 times
I don't think I've ever met anyone who moved here here from the Northeast that didn't find Chicago to be a great, affordable place with a much lower douchebag quotient than back east.

That isn't to say that they necessarily think Chicago is better. It depends how much you value living in a place that's affordable with generally friendlier people over the attributes that NYC or Boston trump Chicago.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,969,712 times
Default I agree..

....that Chicago seems to be overlooked as a destination by coastal people, and that there are people who consider it to be in "flyover territory". But's that's their loss, and some have discovered, that, yes, you should spend some time in Chicago, and that it's actually a real city with real people, and then they're surprised that they wind up enjoying it.

Even as I type this, I'm finding fewer reasons to stay here in Boston. I can almost feel the pendulum swinging over to Lake Michigan as I type.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM

152 posts, read 573,203 times
No matter how much I love Chicago with all the things it has to offer, there's no doubt in my mind that if I were a millionaire or if NYC or Southern California were a lot much cheaper, I would rather live in either of the two, maybe a summer loft in Manhattan and a winter beach house in Malibu.
But for now I stick to Chicago and can't complaint!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:29 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,992,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
....that Chicago seems to be overlooked as a destination by coastal people, and that there are people who consider it to be in "flyover territory". But's that's their loss, and some have discovered, that, yes, you should spend some time in Chicago, and that it's actually a real city with real people, and then they're surprised that they wind up enjoying it.

Even as I type this, I'm finding fewer reasons to stay here in Boston. I can almost feel the pendulum swinging over to Lake Michigan as I type.
Getting close to deciding?

Old 07-08-2008, 12:41 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,898,000 times
Boston is great too! Personally, you can't go wrong with Boston, NYC, or Chicago if you are a city person...

Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,969,712 times
Default Sukwoo, I'll probably visit Chicago one more time..

...this summer, and then I'll consider everything. I don't have a time limit, but there's no sense in dragging this out forever. I can keep track of things on-line too, both here in New England and in Chicago.

In probably exaggerated the "flyover" image of the Midwest that NEasterners have; many DO acknowledge Chicago, but seldom mention anything else.I guess that Indianapolis, St. Louis, Minn-SP, Detroit, etc are not common topics of conversation. Besides, the East Coast has its own problem children--ever been to Baltimore, the Poster Child for Run-Down Cities? I don't think that it's an accident that 2 major TV crime series (The Wire, Homicide) were based on Baltimore. It has a few decent parts, but I wouldn't recommend it, on the whole.

On the whole, I like visiting NYC, but living there is a whole 'nother story. Trying to fight the crowds in Times Square on a hot summer day is enough to make me search for greener pastures. Even Central Park probably has tens of thousands of people in it at any given time. All this makes me appreciate both Boston and Chicago even more.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:30 PM

526 posts, read 1,062,159 times
all big city life is great
each city has its own to offer
I currently live in Chicago, Southside.
but i would in a heart beat leave this city to move to NYC
its time for some change!
Chicago is just loosing its touch as another city slapped next to a lake

Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,733,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
all big city life is great
each city has its own to offer
I currently live in Chicago, Southside.
but i would in a heart beat leave this city to move to NYC
its time for some change!
Chicago is just loosing its touch as another city slapped next to a lake
Ok bye.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:24 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,230,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCU View Post
I noticed the reverse/converse situation at University of Chicago. A lot of east coasters attend U of C and almost all of them arrive here with the "NYC and Boston are the only truly cosmopolitan/cultured cities in the U.S. and the entire Midwest including Chicago is hickville" attitude. After being in Chicago for 2-4 years most will grudgingly concede that it is a pretty cool place and comparable to NYC/Boston, but most of them still take east coast jobs. Very few stay in Chicago.
That is a little strange and funny considering that Boston is really small compare to Chicago. Boston is 575,000-600,000 strong compare to Chicago 2.9- 3 million. If that the case then, Boston will feel like the hicktown. I swear Boston is full of themselves; that little city. Consider the most major midwest cities are larger than Boston when comparing the city alone, not the metro. Boston only feel cosmopolitan because of its metro and not the city its self. Like seriously, what do Boston have that Chicago don't have. In my opinion Chicago have more and better ethnic neighborhoods. I bet Boston don't have no Humboldt park, Pilsen/Little Village, or even a Little India/Devon Ave. It is a little annoying when small east coast cities like Boston call Chicago flyover country, when the only thing that can top Chicago in the east coast is NYC, while the rest of them are just second tier/token cities for NYC. I'm sorry I sound a little harsh, but some of these east and west coast cities need to put in there place.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-20-2008 at 01:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago