Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 AM

44 posts, read 135,720 times

Advertisements

I moved here from New York State in October 2007. I started work January 2nd 2008. You should have enough saved up to move and just in case you don't find work immediately. My job required a college degree and field experience so you may be able to find something faster than me.

Also, why settle for a retail job when you have a college degree now? Aim higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:21 AM

4 posts, read 9,853 times
We live on the border of Albany Park/Irving Park in a one bedroom for $675, heat included...but coming from MI, that is more and we're still adjusting (no complaints, we knew what we were getting into, but an adjustment none the less).

Something else we ran into: no one wanted to sign a lease with us unless we could view the property first. We ended up having to skip work and rent a car to come view our apt...not sure how common that is to run into, but everyone we spoke with was turned off once we said we couldn't view before signing. I understand the hesitancy, but even sublets were like that!

The transportation has been pretty easy to figure out...you can view the maps online and all the bus/train info, including a route mapper which has been a GREAT help. Give yourself room for a couple screw-ups though...at night the buses that I've been on stop displaying/calling out what stop is next. Also, the few times that I've confusedly been staring at my map, a local has stopped and asked if I needed help. It is my experience that Chicago is a friendly city, more so than the smaller town I moved from. And I think it's totally easy to eat cheaply here...everyday bars have drink and dinner specials ($1 tacos/corndogs, $3 burger fries are deals I've seen)...we've been living on about $60/week for food for two.

As for our location...it's been really safe, we've been out walking late at night and encountered no problems, though as a blonde haired/blue eyed white girl I definitely stick out in our predominantly Hispanic location, so I've been getting a lot of catcalls. It takes about 45 min. to get downtown and we have to go to other neighborhoods for fun, which means we'll be moving next summer to another 'hood...be aware of the transit times when choosing your apt., and proximity to bus/el stops. It's hard for me to say what it will be like job-wise, as I transferred and came from a very economically depressed area (at least 13% unemployment last time I knew). But I've Craigslisted jobs and have seen a lot that I think my degree-less self would qualify for, and have read that the temp-work arena is really easy/pays well.

But so far...I think I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago