Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 08:51 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times

Advertisements

DC - well, those people would be idiots, of course Florida's beaches are better than Chicago's beaches. Why do you think so many people from Chicago go there and sit on them. Oh, and Colorado's mountains are better than that one hill we've got over down in Beverly ... and I can't even get a damn lobster roll here in this fair town.

The point is this, yes, the city has plenty of faults, I could list them all day (starting with Daley and working my way down), but it isn't about that, nobody likes to be dismissed as worthless, uninteresting, and dull, simply for living in a city, and that is all I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:52 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Carolina,

I have no beef with you or the Chicago crowd and I was being sarcastic. Just take all the comments with a grain of salt. I respect the passion that many of you have and how you stand up for your city. I've been to Chicago plenty of times, so I know why you are passionate about the place. Many of the posters here have never really been to Chicago, so you have to read between the lines a bit.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 AM

102 posts, read 376,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
It is very simple, the poster in question dismissed the entire city's population as a bunch of dull, boring, hicks in a 'flyover state', THAT is what is being taken issue with.
I didn't do that at all. Half of what I said is true and not debatable remotely. None of my opinion was stated as absolute. Look at the words I used: "most" "a lot" "I find." Not: "all" "every." Now I pity your reading skills...

Quote:
I'll throw my cow-turd-covered straw hat into the ring as well, as I found it hard to get passed the condescension of your post, Ramo. I've gotta say... if that's the attitude with which you approached life in Chicago, I've little doubt that you were met with blank stares from uninteresting people. All the interesting people had you pegged as an elitist as soon as you started mouthing off. Smarmy self-satisfaction doesn't tend to fly in Chicago...
Where are you people coming up with this? Did I ever use the word "hick"? Would you deny that many chicago's younger residents are transplants from the areas I described? I actually liked chicago when I first moved here and approached people as I would anywhere. I'm actually not an elitist at all and get the feeling you and other posters are attacking a straw man, so you can get all of your "second city" mentality off your chest.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
DC's Finest wrote:
Quote:
Carolina,

I have no beef with you or the Chicago crowd and I was being sarcastic. Just take all the comments with a grain of salt. I respect the passion that many of you have and how you stand up for your city. I've been to Chicago plenty of times, so I know why you are passionate about the place. Many of the posters here have never really been to Chicago, so you have to read between the lines a bit.
Noted.

I should mention, for the record, that the VAST majority of what I post on this board is written with a smile. I'm rarely very serious and I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it.

Still, the Chicago set can be a little defensive from time to time. A tad adversarial. I guess Chicagoans figure that they soldier through the winters and pay the stupid parking tickets and deal with Daley, so they've earned the right to gripe. While ol' Ramo's an exception, a lot of the detractors know nothing of what they speak, and that draws the ire of the frostbite-tempered, mustachioed masses. (Since we all look like George Wendt and Chris Farley from SuperFans."

Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 AM
j33

Haha CarolinaBredChicagoan, well stated, and I vote we put this tired subject 'out to pasture' (how's that for a Midwesternism for ya

I'm the same way, well, I may enjoy a bit of Internet bravado here and there, I've got better things to than actually get my panties too much in a twist over what some guy's opinion (even if I occasionally may appear to do so figuratively).

Oh, and strawmen are fun sometimes, especially watching them burn

Old 07-31-2008, 09:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Chicago Bound,

Being from the east coast (Brooklyn to DC), I have been all around Chicago and its a great place. Boston is like DC very compact and easy to get around on the T or Metro. Chicago is huge. The L is old like the T but it is amazing because the majority of it is elevated, so you get to roll thru some great places. I did a lot of my sightseeing on the L. You won't find typical east coast neighborhoods like Back Bay or Georgetown that offer the colonial ambiance, but Chicago does have an overwhelming abundance of great neighborhoods. Like Boston, but on a major scale, Chicago is also known for its great bar scene. Since Boston has been winning "EVERYTHING" lately in sports, I think Boston has a better sports scene at the moment. Anyway, you won't be disappointed in Chicago. One of things that I noticed is that people from the midwest dont jaywalk like we do on the east coast.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo Nash View Post
Where are you people coming up with this? Did I ever use the word "hick"? Would you deny that many chicago's younger residents are transplants from the areas I described? I actually liked chicago when I first moved here and approached people as I would anywhere. I'm actually not an elitist at all and get the feeling you and other posters are attacking a straw man, so you can get all of your "second city" mentality off your chest.
Hmmm. "Second City" mentality. Straw man, meet straw man.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Haha CarolinaBredChicagoan, well stated, and I vote we put this tired subject 'out to pasture' (how's that for a Midwesternism for ya
Yessir. I am totally done derailing this thread. Time to take a walk to the coffee shop and chat with the dullards behind the counter

Old 07-31-2008, 09:07 AM

102 posts, read 376,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Hmmm. "Second City" mentality. Straw man, meet straw man.
Being ultra-defensive and putting words from others in my mouth, because I said something slightly negative about chicago exemplifies the second city mentality. Why else would you care what some elitist snob from the northeast thinks?

Old 07-31-2008, 09:17 AM
j33

elitist snob =/= northeast, they can be found anywhere and everywhere. I don't associate the two together at all (too much family from that part of the county who are neither prevents me from buying into that stereotype too much).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago