Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:51 AM

409 posts, read 1,518,245 times

Advertisements

What is an Chicagoans's opinion on Los Angeles? Both Los Angeles and Chicago's have their fair share of positives and negatives, but what makes Los Angeles or Chicago better than the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:16 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
oh please, not this again!!!!

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...s-chicago.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...ago-vs-la.html

Old 08-03-2008, 05:40 PM

409 posts, read 1,518,245 times
I never saw the Los Angeles vs. Chicago thread. I'll read it, thanks! By the way in the Los Angeles forum they said Chicagoans were not as intelligent as Angelenos because we were midwestern. I thought that was funny since they have Hollywood.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
I never saw the Los Angeles vs. Chicago thread. I'll read it, thanks! By the way in the Los Angeles forum they said Chicagoans were not as intelligent as Angelenos because we were midwestern
Thats what smog, earthquakes, wildfires and out-of-control meth labs do to Californians. lol Two can play this game!

Ive been to L.A. and left with a BAD taste in my mouth. Its so bad that it will take me a long time to go back, if ever. We spent 4 nights there, all 4 nights I was thinking "whats so dang special about this hellhole"? Some parts were nice, but overall I was severely disappointed. Reasons why....

1. smog. Couldnt even see the tops of the foothills. The sky was orange/brown at all times. Disgusting.

2. Endless sirens through all hours of the night. Put it this way... our campground (yes, an urban campground) was surrounded by 8' high fence with barbed wire on top of it, and it wasnt even a bad neighborhood, so we were told.

3. Downtown? What downtown? BLAH

4. Im a big fan of different cultures and all, but at times if really felt and looked like I was in Tijuana. Not a bad thing, but just a little too much for me. Some of the best Mexican food this side of the border though, I wont lie about that.

5. Gangs. Holy crap. Gang graffitti everywhere, which brings me to my next point....

6. Waaaaaaay too much graffitti. Saw it on office buildings, homes, street signs, streets, telephone poles, rocks, cars, even on the dang palm trees!

7. Traffic sucked worse than anything in Chicago. On our trip up to Universal Studios on day 2, I thought it was just a fluke, until every day on the trip was like that. What would be 1 hr in Chicago was 2.5 in L.A.

8. Picked up a real estate guide while in Yorba Linda visiting family. Worst prices you ever saw. I laughed through the entire booklet, simply outrageous. Ever seen an ugly, tiny 2 BR 1 BA home go for 500K before? Go to L.A., theyre all over the place.

PROS:

1. Nice mountains around, when theyre visible.

2. Close to everything you can imagine. Picture Chicagoland in a warm climate.

3. Nice theme parks, etc.

4. The ocean. Was cold, even in July, but still nice.

5. Some absolutely GORGEOUS suburbs, but then again theyre laughably overpriced.

6. You like Mexican food? Youll be in Heaven.

7. Day trips are innumerable.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
I never saw the Los Angeles vs. Chicago thread. I'll read it, thanks! By the way in the Los Angeles forum they said Chicagoans were not as intelligent as Angelenos because we were midwestern. I thought that was funny since they have Hollywood.
that's ironic, since, on one of the threads I posted, the primary defender of LA was barely intelligible! you know what they say about going into a battle of wits unarmed

Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
I grew up in LA and moved to Chicago for college and med school. Been here ever since. Family still in LA. I like both cities, I wouldn't mind going back to LA if not for the high cost of living there. It boils down to this: if I stayed in Chicago, I could retire in my mid-40s just from the enormous savings and investing I could do with my disposable income. If I moved to LA, I may have to work until I'm late 50s to early 60s before I retire. Not a very pleasant thought. Obviously there are other considerations besides money (the weather, the beaches, the mountains, and all that jazz make LA attractive as well).

Old 08-04-2008, 09:17 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
I'm not an Angelenos or a Chicagoan but I've spent considerable time in both. Chicago is the type of place that you hit the ground running because you are enamored with the people, the sights and sounds of the city. There is something around every corner. LA struck me as a place that you can't put your finger on because it's so vast but in a suburban sort of way. A tourist could discover a lot in Chicago without much help from the locals. In LA, I didn't know where to start my adventure. I did love the weather, and the beautiful women. Hollywood blvd was amazing but I just could not wrap my arms around it like Chicago.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:25 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I'm an intelligent Angeleno, which may seem like an oxymoron to some of you.

I've never been to Chicago, except to change planes! I'd love to visit sometime; when is the best season? I'm thinking spring or fall, right? I couldn't handle it in the winter, and isn't it terribly humid in the summer?

I will say that the good thing about L.A. is that it can be all things, depending on what kind of lifestyle you choose. There are plenty of fake, pretentious, annoying people here who think they're God's gift, but there are many more of us who are just living our lives like anyone else. I'm a rarity; I hardly ever watch T.V., I can't stand the fake phony Hollywood stuff, and I hardly ever go to a theater to see a movie. I'm also not pumped full of silicone or Botox. Yuck.

Due to getting married and having kids too young (poverty, anyone?), it hasn't been until recently that I could think about doing more traveling. Chicago is probably one of my top 5 cities to visit when I get the chance.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:36 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
I like Los Angeles, and I like it a lot I'm a very solid Chicago person, but it's nice for a change of pace. Ultimately I see myself ending up in Chicago, but it's nice to live and work in LA when money isn't a problem.

I think the only thing I really like in LA over Chicago is that I don't have to fear the oncoming winter. September's almost here and you know what? I don't care. It doesn't matter. It's going to be sunny and warm a month from now, two months from now, six months from now. That unending darkness, the heavy black sky, not seeing the sun for two months... I don't miss that.

When you go from living in Chicago, with all of its wonderful things, to living in LA... It's just amazing how different you feel when you KNOW, know in your bones, that it's sunny outside.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
Would argue LA and Chic are closer in many ways than most realize...

Many on LA's Westside are originally from Chic; many affluent people from Chic (and industrial Midwest) own wkend houses on LA's Westside/Malibu....

There are as many leading hedge funds/private equity shops and rather sharp financiers in Beverly Hills as there are in Chic's Loop.....

Chic is very much like BevHills in that one can easily drive around the GoldCst/Loop, etc...upscale pkg garages, valet pkg at all the relevant places: offices, restaurants, hotels, etc....very different and more civilized than Manhattan....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago