Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Only in TX would someplace called "the big thicket" be considered "cool". Oy vey.

Do us a favor and call us when your first armpit hair sprouts.

Have a good life.
Who said anything about cool, besides you??????????????????

Seriously, the name of this posting thread shows the downright lameness and whiner mentality of the Midwest; not to mention the overall responses from Ill-Uh-noise. Have a good night and hold tightly to your guns and religion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 03:41 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Steve-O. Been there? What is the extent of your Houston explorations??
Coog-78. Been to Chicago? What is the extent of your Chicago explorations??

Old 08-08-2008, 03:43 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
You're missing the jist of the conversation, food diversity. A previous poster basically said you can't get anything besides McDonald's in Houston which is as offensive as it is incorrect. We have every kind of cuisine in Houston that Chicago has outside of the deep dish pizza, and I admit I did forget the hot dogs. We actually do have both of those here, but not as good as Chicago.
I agree that Houston has more than McDonald's, but Chicago has a far greater number of restaurants with greater variety. Even when it comes to Mexican restaurants the Food Columnist for the Houston Chronicle goes as far as saying Chicago has "the best Mexican fare north of the border." (http://www.zianet.com/sunny/html/24.html - broken link):

Quote:
After days of such research, Walsh concluded that Chicago might indeed boast "the best Mexican fare north of the border." Still puzzled by his findings, Walsh dropped by the Frontera Grill to visit with renowned chef Rick Bayless, America's foremost authority on Mexican food. Walsh asked Bayless how it could be that Chicago "ended up with all these cutting-edge Mexican restaurants." Walsh soon learns that over the last decade, Chicago has "amassed the second largest Mexican population in the United States." And, as a result, many restaurants serve bona fide Mexican dishes, and specialty Mexican markets are sprouting up all over Chicago.

Bayless explained that the majority of the Mexicans who immigrated to Chicago are "first-generation...and they still cook the way they did in Mexico." He contrasts the Chicago based Mexicans to those who migrated to the "deep rooted Chicano culture of the Southwest" such as LA or San Antonio where "...the Chicano community is there to teach them how things are done. But that doesn't happen in Chicago...There's nobody here to show them what Americanized Mexican food is supposed to be like."
For the last couple years Chicago Chefs have won James Beard Awards for both Outstanding Chef and Best Restaurant in the country. There were multiple nominees from Chicago in both categories as well. Houston has never even gotten any nominations outside of it's region.

Houston has some very good restaurants, Quattro is one of the best in the country. But Chicago is on a different scale to begin with, and comparing the two is pretty crazy.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I have a friend in Deer Park, TX who has taken me into Houston a few times, been there on business one other time. Ive seen enough of the area to get a very good feel for it. Chicago and Chicagoland is a far better place to me.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about cool, besides you??????????????????

Seriously, the name of this posting thread shows the downright lameness and whiner mentality of the Midwest; not to mention the overall responses from Ill-Uh-noise. Have a good night and hold tightly to your guns and religion!
Hold tightly to your guns, horse and cousin down there in TX.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,042 times
Quote:
Maybe the Midwest does have something more to offer than blue collar jobs and people clinging to their guns and religion. I have not seen it myself.

But let's see you hop a plane and be on a Caribbean beach in two hours or take off on a Caribbean cruise from your port; oh wait you don't have one!

The area around Chicago is flat and ugly. You don't have the forests we do nearby either. And you go deep sea fishing where? What ocean is that?

Many of us in Houston don't mind the summer weather either, I go jogging 3 miles every other day as do thousands of others.

We are just stronger and better than you.
Um, no, Illinois is not just cornfields. And, yes, the Chicagoland area has PLENTY of forests to jog around!. In fact, we have developed our own FOREST Preserves. Hmm, that tells you a little somethin, dosent it?

Forest Preserve District of DuPage County
Forest Preserve District of Cook County
Lake County Forest Preserve District

In fact, there are two of them just 5 minutes from where I live, and I live smack dab in the middle of the suburbs!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Yeah, have been to Chicago for business both in summer and winter. Summers are pleasant. Winters are brutal, if not for the wind, probably not so bad. I've been enough to make the decision that Houston is a much better place.

Deer Park is not Houston may I mind you Steve-O. That is worse than someone saying I've been to Joliet, so I know Chicago.

The mexican food in Chicago is a lot better than I had expected (granted my expectations were very low); but no amount of magazine write-ups or fancy opinions will change the fact that it can never compare to mexican food in Houston, or Texas for that matter.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
Um, no, Illinois is not just cornfields. And, yes, the Chicagoland area has PLENTY of forests to jog around!. In fact, we have developed our own FOREST Preserves. Hmm, that tells you a little somethin, dosent it?

Forest Preserve District of DuPage County
Forest Preserve District of Cook County
Lake County Forest Preserve District

In fact, there are two of them just 5 minutes from where I live, and I live smack dab in the middle of the suburbs!
I live in the city, jog at Memorial Park in the city year round. How many people go jogging in Chicago year round?

Old 08-08-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Deer Park is not Houston may I mind you Steve-O. That is worse than someone saying I've been to Joliet, so I know Chicago.
Read my damn post (again)!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:07 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Quote:
Maybe the Midwest does have something more to offer than blue collar jobs and people clinging to their guns and religion. I have not seen it myself.
We have plenty of Hispanics here in Chicagolandia. How many you got?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago