Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

Most of the fat people I see in the downtown area are tourists...

Also guys, I guess it doesn't necessarily break a rule, but personally, I think calling someone a fatty is disrespectful and really uncalled for. Could we try and keep that to a minimum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM

170 posts, read 536,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Also guys, I guess it doesn't necessarily break a rule, but personally, I think calling someone a fatty is disrespectful and really uncalled for. Could we try and keep that to a minimum?

aw, I call myself that all the time so I get to it before anyone else does

I'm really looking forward to moving and depending on my feet (and bike) to get me almost everywhere. I've been overweight my whole life so I'm hoping it turns out well for me.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:18 AM

^^Good luck to you! It's hard to make those life changes, but you'll be happier for it in the long run.

I was thin as a rail as a kid (all my family was) but I hit 20 and my metabolism ground to a halt. Had to change the whole way I looked at life, I eat far healthier than I did as a kid and try to stay active. It's a regular struggle for sure! I realize I'll never be rail thin again and I'm happy with my weight- but I know if I get lazy and let it slide I culd gain a lot of weight very quickly.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
[quote=CarolinaBredChicagoan;4860415]There are a lot of 'fatties' in AMERICA.

We have a winner. This is a whole country problem, not just one place or a few places.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:25 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
[quote=Fishtacos;4869472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
There are a lot of 'fatties' in AMERICA.

We have a winner. This is a whole country problem, not just one place or a few places.
And I know this seems like total 'CYA' action, but when I used the term 'fatties', I was totally quoting someone. Just wanted to clear that up. It IS a stupid term.

And I DO think it's a problem everywhere. If anything, I think it's terrible to see people who are more overweight than they probably should be in a city where you CAN easily walk rather then having to drive everywhere. I think that's a clear indication that we MUST change our national habits or we're all going to die. I mean that.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:28 AM

And go broke. Obese people cost the healthcare industry billions upon billions of dollars in preventable diseases. That means everyone, thin or fat, is paying for this problem.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:31 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Have you read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan? There's some interesting stuff in there about corn. For example, the average American supermarket contains about 45,000 items. A quarter of them are made with corn or corn derivatives.
It's on my nightstand right now... Haven't started it yet, but I've seen Pollan interviewed on TV a few times. My wife has read it.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
And go broke. Obese people cost the healthcare industry billions upon billions of dollars in preventable diseases. That means everyone, thin or fat, is paying for this problem.
'tis true. Like anything else, education helps. Family helps. If kids are taught from an early age to consider what they eat and that some foods are only ok sometimes, they're much better off.

I don't know about you, but MY big Southern family is all about food=comfort, so I know what it's like to have a bad model.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's on my nightstand right now... Haven't started it yet, but I've seen Pollan interviewed on TV a few times. My wife has read it.
It's worth a read. My girlfriend and I talk a lot about diet (she skips red meat altogether. I... don't. She's also big into local foods, organic, etc. She works in healthcare, so she sees what the poison we eat does to people.) She let me read her copy. I was glad I did.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:

I don't know about you, but MY big Southern family is all about food=comfort, so I know what it's like to have a bad model.
Oh me too! When my dad found out he was diabetic he switched to diet 7UP in his whiskey instead of regular, but that was it. Still ate the same, still drank as much. Way to make that all important life change for the sake of your health dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: