Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 AM

38 posts, read 106,237 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one that loves the bus? It seems that most people prefer CTA trains.

I like the bus because

1. with the CTA bus tracker, I know roughly when it's coming
2. the buses are newer and cleaner

where as trains and stations are usually dirtier, and I hate waiting, not know ing when it's going to show up.

I've only been here 2 weeks, but I'm loving the buses. I primarily take he halsted #8, miluakee #65, and madison #20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 09:39 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
I take the bus and train about equally, and have done so for over a decade, one thing I like about the bus is that when it is stops for no reason, or breaks, you aren't trapped on it until they figure out the problem, like what happened to me last night on the blue line.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
I like them both--the train is good if you are going long distances ie. loop to 95th or Forest Park to the Loop--try taking a bus from those locations and see how much time you've wasted because of all of the stop the bus makes. The buses are great when connecting you to places that the 'L' isn't accessible to like; Northeastern Illinois University, areas on the far south and northwest sides, and even some of the surrounding burbs'. I don't think you can compare the 'L' and the bus system because they were built to compliment each other--not to be competition.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:02 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
I am lucky to live within two blocks of an express bus or a train so it's pretty even for me. Now that I can track the 147 I love it. On the other hand, the Red Line is generally reliable (compared to the blue and brown line that I can't catch to save my life).

The good thing about buses IS the fact that you can just start walking if the bus doesn't decide to show up. But since I use the unlimited rides option, if the train is being really obnoxious, I just leave and catch a bus.

Old 08-16-2008, 10:47 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I used to be a train person until I moved near some great Lakeshore Drive express buses. Now I'm a bus person, but I do miss the "L" from time to time.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:58 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugoshi View Post
Am I the only one that loves the bus? It seems that most people prefer CTA trains.

I like the bus because

1. with the CTA bus tracker, I know roughly when it's coming

not all the buses are part of this program, and not everyone has a portable web browser like a Blackberry or an iPhone where they can track their bus

Quote:
2. the buses are newer and cleaner
blah, I take the Ashland bus a lot and these buses are always the older buses, the ones w/ the windows that never open but don't have working AC, the ones w/ the filthy seats and malfunctioning doors

Quote:
where as trains and stations are usually dirtier, and I hate waiting, not know ing when it's going to show up.
I live off of the pink line and the stations I've seen are super clean and the 18th St stop is, IMO, one of the nicest looking CTA stations in the city. Division on the blue line is just plain disgusting though. I guess it depends which lines you're talking about since it seems to me the Orange and Pink are 2 of the nicer lines, and the Blue is a right out mess

Quote:
I've only been here 2 weeks, but I'm loving the buses. I primarily take he halsted #8, miluakee #65, and madison #20.
I used to live in West Humboldt Park and relied heavily on the #70 and sometimes on the #53. while they got me to where I needed to go, I hated waiting for the bus, esp during the winter in the cold (ah, there was memorable evening in the winter where the temperature was in the single digits and the #70 was over an hour late. frostbite ain't fun )

now I live close to the pink line, and while I do still take the bus a lot, I love having the option of taking the train. I rarely have to wait longer than 10 minutes for a train (well, at least on this line. I've had issues w/ the green and blue line). when winter comes, I can just hang out downstairs near the turnstiles, where it's warmer and just wait until they announce the train before heading up. overall, much happier w/ the train then w/ the bus, though I wouldn't mind taking the express buses (though, since I can't track a bus, I'd still have to wait for the bus in the cold)

Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 AM

569 posts, read 1,820,452 times
The bus is prime for me since I have the Ashland, Division, and North Ave lines at my disposal. A single ride and a transfer usually gets me wherever I want to go.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

I live off of the pink line and the stations I've seen are super clean and the 18th St stop is, IMO, one of the nicest looking CTA stations in the city. Division on the blue line is just plain disgusting though. I guess it depends which lines you're talking about since it seems to me the Orange and Pink are 2 of the nicer lines, and the Blue is a right out mess

18th st. nice? I use the 18th st. daily and I think it's the worst one Ive been to. It smells and just looks like a mess. That being said I really cant stand the bus. Im always waiting forever for it since I dont have a web browser

Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
I think the trains are better in the winter, when I was taking #8 Halsted in the winter it was always delayed, though in the summer it was fine.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
I get REALLY motion sick, so I hate the buses......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago