Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 07:32 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I have never had an american cleaning lady show up at my house when i have called a service so what gives.
What's an "american"? How does one tell? You can't. We're a city where most people you see out and about, particularly when using public transportation, visiting restaurants, etc., look like they've come from someplace else. Most haven't. They were born here, in the USA.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:58 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
What's an "american"? How does one tell? You can't. We're a city where most people you see out and about, particularly when using public transportation, visiting restaurants, etc., look like they've come from someplace else. Most haven't. They were born here, in the USA.
Being an American seems to increasingly mean someone who is clueless on global issues. You know, the people who rail about economic justice and equity for their demographic while purchasing junk made by child and forced labor overseas. And I'm guilty as charged in that camp as well.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:46 AM

and speak of the devil:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/bu...pagewanted=all

As I see it, as long as we are buying a society's stuff & helping keep their labor oppressed, we can expect said labor to do anything they can to get here.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
I think the relatively welcoming attitude of the Chicago area toward even illegal immigrants stems from the core of what Chicago's liberal and conservative factions base their principles on.

The liberals here mostly are liberal from the Bohemian/Germanic humanistic standpoint, which emphasizes fundamental human rights that transcend culture or legal frameworks. For that view, immigration is about freedom of movement and freedom to live where you want. From that perspective, even if you believe that immigration should be kept orderly through a bureaucratic system of laws, violating the bureaucracy by coming here "illegally" would be seen as a relatively minor violation akin to speeding or parking in a no-parking zone. Something to be avoided if possible, but not something that reflects much on someone's core character and not something that should be treated harshly.

Likewise the conservatives here are mainly interested in preserving culture and existing systems. Chicago has been an immigrant magnet for so long, that existing systems and culture is already one of immigration, so cracking down on immigration would actually change the culture and existing systems and thus be either a reactionary or a progressive thing to do - neither of which is conservative. So most conservatives don't have a problem with immigration, and while they probably do want to see the legal framework for immigration adhered to more strongly than the liberals care about, to a large extent immigrants are immigrants and conservatives, too, view the legal framework around immigration as mostly bureaucratic rules and not some sort of moral imperative.

I hope Chicago stays welcoming. Immigration is part of what keeps the city fresh. I'd actually like to see more immigration, but that would require some changes at the federal level (and a healthier economy).

Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I think the relatively welcoming attitude of the Chicago area toward even illegal immigrants stems from the core of what Chicago's liberal and conservative factions base their principles on.

The liberals here mostly are liberal from the Bohemian/Germanic humanistic standpoint, which emphasizes fundamental human rights that transcend culture or legal frameworks. For that view, immigration is about freedom of movement and freedom to live where you want. From that perspective, even if you believe that immigration should be kept orderly through a bureaucratic system of laws, violating the bureaucracy by coming here "illegally" would be seen as a relatively minor violation akin to speeding or parking in a no-parking zone. Something to be avoided if possible, but not something that reflects much on someone's core character and not something that should be treated harshly.

Likewise the conservatives here are mainly interested in preserving culture and existing systems. Chicago has been an immigrant magnet for so long, that existing systems and culture is already one of immigration, so cracking down on immigration would actually change the culture and existing systems and thus be either a reactionary or a progressive thing to do - neither of which is conservative. So most conservatives don't have a problem with immigration, and while they probably do want to see the legal framework for immigration adhered to more strongly than the liberals care about, to a large extent immigrants are immigrants and conservatives, too, view the legal framework around immigration as mostly bureaucratic rules and not some sort of moral imperative.

I hope Chicago stays welcoming. Immigration is part of what keeps the city fresh. I'd actually like to see more immigration, but that would require some changes at the federal level (and a healthier economy).
I think that's part of it. My guess is that another part of it is that illegal immigrants in Chicagoland are segregated into a relatively small number of areas, so it's easier for Chicagoans who don't live around them or send kids to schools with them to say they're welcoming and supportive, when they have no exposure to some of the more negative consequences. In places like Arizona and California, there are a lot more of them, and they are more integrated, so their opinions are coming from a different perspective.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM

117 posts, read 128,718 times
Caucasian buiness owners and hiring managers in many businesses in Chicago have been hiring and promoting Mexicans(illegal immigrants) for many years. The Mexicans in Chicago have developed the same racist attitudes towards African Americans as the Caucasians. There are Mexican gangs attacking African Americans on the far souteast side of the city. Many years ago there was a newspaper report that Mexicans had joined the KKK on the southwest side of Chicago (Midway area). Mexicans do very well in Chicago. Even if they don't speak and write english well they are hired and promoted in many companies.

Last edited by Mr.Bourgeois; 01-26-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
We'll send you guys all you want, just sayin!

Old 01-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bourgeois View Post
Caucasian buiness owners and hiring managers in many businesses in Chicago have been hiring and promoting Mexicans(illegal immigrants) for many years. The Mexicans in Chicago have developed the same racist attitudes towards African Americans as the Caucasians. There are Mexican gangs attacking African Americans on the far souteast side of the city. Many years ago there was a newspaper report that Mexicans had joined the KKK on the southwest side of Chicago (Midway area). Mexicans do very well in Chicago. Even if they don't speak and write english well they are hired and promoted in many companies.
The KKK, being anti-Catholic, has never gotten any traction in Chicago's ethnic neighborhoods.

But you bring up an interesting point - have African Americans welcomed these people into their neighborhoods? If not, how is that any different than the racism AA's endured when they came to Chicago in similarly large numbers escaping poverty and oppression down south?

Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM

117 posts, read 128,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
The KKK, being anti-Catholic, has never gotten any traction in Chicago's ethnic neighborhoods.

But you bring up an interesting point - have African Americans welcomed these people into their neighborhoods? If not, how is that any different than the racism AA's endured when they came to Chicago in similarly large numbers escaping poverty and oppression down south?

I'm sure some African Americans were not so welcoming to Mexicans(because we can be very cold and mean people). I don't think that's the reason for Mexicans dislike for African Americans. If I gave you an honest answer as to why Mexicans dislike African Americans many would get offended. I better not go there. I doubt if city data could take it.

...and just for the record African Americans treat other races better than their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago