Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 PM

938 posts, read 4,095,167 times

Advertisements

Anybody been to LA or know this neighborhood well? If not I'll try and describe it to you.

It's lively, eclectic bohemian enclave encompassing many smaller neighborhoods and is characterized by an endless supply of 1920's Spanish Revival architecture (and a less visible, but equally appealing Art Deco presence), this neighborhood has cultivated a diverse, urban and even mysterious (long accepting of off the beaten track & artsy-types + gays) being.

I enjoy living in this neighborhood because of the diversity, the people's willingness to try new things, foliage, density/architecture and the fact that it had good amenities (great culinary options!). Most important is that it is close to everything! You're never more than 20 minutes from anywhere (5 minutes to Beverly Hills, 10 minutes to Hollywood, 15-20 minutes to Downtown)

Transit will also play a role in this search, I'd like to be in a transit-friendly neighborhood.

Rent isn't a real pressing issue as I'm probably moving with a friend and will likely have a nice-sized budget.

Here are some pictures of it:

Last edited by King0fthehill; 09-10-2008 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: add last image
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times
I guess I really don't understand your question. Are looking for a neighborhood with similar architecture or devirsity, etc.... Please explain.

Have you ever visited Chicago before? It does not sound like you have.

Also, when it comes to questions like yours I almost always avoid them mainly because I understand what type of area you're looking for but what gets me is you;re moving to a new city but you're still in search of things from your old city. LA is LA. Chicago is Chicago. Whatever you do, DO NOT move here(on any other city) and start comparing it to the city you came from. Once you leave LA.......LEAVE IT BEHIND!!

At least in terms of comparing things. A city is like a person, they are unique and each offers different things and some things similar.

I'll let others chime in own what areas to move into but please whatever you do..........DO NOT compare one city to another. You'll always find something that is "not right" about the new city. It's not so much that it's not right, it's that you can't look forward long enough to see it's beauty.

Welcome......

Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 AM

629 posts, read 901,840 times
Id rather take Chicago's version of the "MAG MILE", than LA's

Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Those pictures are more suburban-looking than what you'll find in most inner-Chicago neighborhoods. But I think you might like Wicker Park based on your stated preference for an "bohemian" area with good dining and shopping options on public transit. Do a search on Wicker Park and/or Bucktown. Gay life in Chicago (male) is centered in "Boystown", which is an enclave in the East Lakeview neighborhood. Also a fun area to live, but not that diverse.

If you're looking for Spanish Mission architecture, Chicago is NOT the place. We have a few examples of homes of that style from the 1920s in certain older suburbs, but they tend to look out of place. Chicago's 1920's housing tends to be more in the vein of Arts and Crafts, Queen Anne, Beaux Arts, Romanesque, or Prarie Style.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 09-11-2008 at 07:45 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
Id rather take Chicago's version of the "MAG MILE", than LA's
Yeah, Chicago has the world-famous "Magnificent Mile", which seems to be an entirely different thing from L.A.'s "Miracle Mile".

Old 09-11-2008, 07:57 AM

938 posts, read 4,095,167 times
I wasn't looking for Spanish Mission architecture-I used it in my pictures to describe/show what the nabe looks like.

And I'm not looking for another Miracle Mile per se, I'm looking for a hip, bohemian, eclectic nabe with good dining and transit options...in Chicago .

That's all really.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
I wasn't looking for Spanish Mission architecture-I used it in my pictures to describe/show what the nabe looks like.

And I'm not looking for another Miracle Mile per se, I'm looking for a hip, bohemian, eclectic nabe with good dining and transit options...in Chicago .

That's all really.
Not all of these are "eclectic", but they are all hip, urban neighborhoods with good dining and transit options:

Wicker Park
Bucktown
Lakeview
Lincoln Park
Roscoe Village
Lincoln Square
Andersonville
River North
River West
West Loop
South Loop

And less "hip" neighborhoods with good dining and transit options:

Gold Coast
Old Town
More family-oriented parts of the neighborhoods listed above

Note that most Chicago neighborhoods will have better transit options than what you would find in L.A.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 AM

569 posts, read 1,820,906 times
Wicker Park, Bucktown, and Lakeview (Belmont & Clark area) are Chicago's stake in neighborhood counterculturalism. These areas tend to be alternative and artsy, with the Chicago urban twist. I'd compare our artsy neighborhoods to LA's Los Feliz & Silverlake area, but just much much larger. But by bohemian if you mean LA's Melrose area... the people here are not as eccentric for the most part.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 AM

The true bohemian neighborhoods are now probably Ukranian Village, Logan Square, East Humboldt Park, and East Pilsen. But most of these neighborhoods are either lacking in good dining or transportation options. They all have some really great ethnic dining and a smattering of hipster hangouts, but the concentration is pretty low.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:34 AM

569 posts, read 1,820,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The true bohemian neighborhoods are now probably Ukranian Village, Logan Square, East Humboldt Park, and East Pilsen. But most of these neighborhoods are either lacking in good dining or transportation options. They all have some really great ethnic dining and a smattering of hipster hangouts, but the concentration is pretty low.
Yeah it's hard to say that Wicker Park and Bucktown is still a "bohemian" area with big business coming in and how the place fills up with yuppies on the weekends... the area is truest to form on weekdays atleast as it stands now. If the OP is referencing Melrose Ave, he's going to have a hard time finding that in Chicago. The only other comparable neighborhood I've seen like that is Little Five Points in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago