Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickorydar View Post
It only takes a liberal to actually live in "diversity" to conclude what you have. You are 100% right. Never back down from the TRUTH. Never let liars ever change what you know first-hand.
You need to drop the last six letters of your screen name. That would give the rest of us a good indication of what's to come.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
You need to drop the last six letters of your screen name. That would give the rest of us a good indication of what's to come.
Personal attacks do not make you an expert on Chicago.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:39 PM

589 posts, read 756,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
Meh, go look at Detroit sometime, thier not far off in thier assumptions.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 AM

37 posts, read 138,707 times
There are some racists in Bridgeport just as there are racists in ANY other neighborhood in Chicago.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,191 times
does it really matter, we are all humans....!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,894 times
A little history for those who are unfamiliar.

Chicago History -- Racism

Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,693 times
As someone currently living in Bridgeport (on the north end near 26th), I would have to say that while there are very few black residents in Bridgeport it is far from racist. I'd say the largest racial divide in Bridgeport would be the staggering number of Asians who fail to live outside of their Asian community. I'd say the most integration in Bridgeport takes place between the White and Hispanic communities.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 PM

91 posts, read 294,038 times
I think most folks are over-analyzing the topic - lets utilize Occam's razor people: simplest answer works. Most black people have no REAL cause to reside in Bridgeport. Think about it. Those that are/were poorest were placed in subsidized housing - projects - concrete jungles...there is one such development near Bridgeport, but history has shown us this demographic wasnt exactly primed to buy up the bungalows of Bridgeport...

Now for the middle class blacks / upwardly mobile etc etc - the entire EAST SOUTH SIDE 47th to 103rd was their stomping ground - LAKE INCLUDED. This region is 80% black. It wasnt always but enough white flight occured so that it ended up that way. Maybe the Bridgeport folks were "standing their ground" in their own twisted way - BUT no doubt there were some no mixing "issues" before and after the Civil Rights movement. As time progressed the eyesore of the public housing developments probably didnt make it any better. Across the Dan Ryan you had the high rise version of the projects next to a world class university IIT - but I digress...

If you were from a black family that could afford to buy a home you had more than enough neighborhood sprawl to choose from. Hyde Park / Kenwood / Woodlawn/ Chatham / If you could only afford rent - there were courtyard bldgs & 2-3 flats a plenty. If there were pro-segregationists lingering in Bridgeport - most Blacks DIDNT CARE!

As far as the here & now - well dressed / non threatening Blacks ( especially male ) will STILL get stares in Bridgeport from anybody under 45 ( which would be odd anywhere else in the world) There are a few bars that I've frequented with my white friends where this has happened. After a Sox game, black men probably shouldnt walk in that neighborhood alone...they may hear taunts & racially charged drunk people acting crazy. In the 90's there were some actual physical altercations but nothing like that as of late.

The only new " race" issue in Bridgeport concerns Black comedian George Wilborn. He wanted to buy a newly built home for 1M & the seller said no-go once ethnicity came out. HOW It came out is unclear - but my guess is that the seller's agent was concerned about ethical practices & ratted him out. When someone turns down 1M USD in this day & age - there has to be a BIG reason. If the seller was worried that an "entertainer" would disrupt the quiet neighborhood thats one thing - but Bridgeport has Asians, Hispanics too. SO one can only conclude that the seller didnt wanna do business with the "darkies".

Old 04-06-2011, 09:04 AM

289 posts, read 897,078 times
People have different definitions of racist. As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, somebody will say Bridgeport is racist because residents stare down people who they don't approve of. Other people will say Bridgeport has come a long way because there used to be a time when blacks would get run out of the neighborhood in broad daylight. Now it's just, "Watch out for drunk Sox fans".

Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,881 times
Default this is annoying

as a lifelong resident of bridgeport, i can tell you we are much more diverse than people seem to believe. i'd say the demographics of the neighborhood are pretty much equally divided white/asian/hispanic. no, there is not a large black population, and no, i can't explain why. given the fact a once "white" neighborhood has peacefully transformed into an ethnic melting pot, i would assume black residents would feel safe being here.
the fact is, we're still a relatively safe neighborhood, and anybody who feels they're being stared at has to understand it's the neighborhoods way of keeping tabs on who's coming and going, no matter the race. being proactive will keep us safe, so yeah, if you look like trouble, we're watching you, whether you're white, black or green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago