Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:07 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I think people just become a little insane and stressed after seeing the constant movement of people. Manhattan is like a giant cruise ship in that the traffic flow never freaking stops in certain areas. It can feel like you're just being bombarded with people.
Parts of Chicago can feel like this too. The Mag Mile area between Thanksgiving and Christmas or any summer weekend can be maddeningly crowded, and 92% of the people are not locals. I prefer the seasoned commuters of the Loop who at least know how to walk efficiently on crowded sidewalks.

I've never seen urban crowds like this in any American city other than New York. Asia is a different thing altogether... I don't think the "hustle and bustle" in places like Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Shanghai is considered a positive thing anymore! And it's certainly a detractor in places like Calcutta and Mumbai!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 04:13 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
I'm posted similar posts as this before

"downtown Chicago" (no definite boundaries to that definition) is absolutely the most bustling place in the U.S. next to New York.

One thing that makes Chicago unique among other American cites/metro areas is that employment and attractions are SOOOOO centralized compared to many other places (ie. San Jose has more people and employment and population than San Francisco even though San Fran is really the true Urban center. Southfield, MI has more office space than downtown Detroit. Las Colinas in Irving, Texas has more office space than downtown Dallas).

The extreme centralization leads suburbanites and exurbanites in the region to more likely to consider themselves "Chicagoans" than suburbanites in other parts of the counry to identigy with their central cities. However there is a bit of an issue with this.

Lifestyles and attitudes in say Dupage county are so fundamentally different than what you would find on the north side of the city proper. Its soccer mom country, it could be a cold/non-Texas version of Dallas-fort Worth, at least economically conservative, and in many cases socially as well.

The south suburbs have more in common with the Detroit or Cleveland areas with a high percentage of unionized blue-collared workers and higher unemployment rates.

All this leads to people from across NE Illinois to identify themselves as Chicagoans, even though one side is totally different from another. This is great thing really that everyone feels the Chicago pride, but it leads visitors and even natives into believing that based on downtown and the north side, that the whole region is more "urban sophisticated, and cosmopolitan" than other middle-American cities. Well its not.

Although downtown Chicago is extremely urban, the outlying areas by comparison very "snoozeville." you might say this is the case everywhere, well its not.

Compared to other metro areas, the outlying areas of Chicago have some of the least amount of attractions. SF. Bay area has Berkeley. While Berkeley is considered Berkely and not San Fran. Berkely probably has more in common with San Fran, than River Grove, IL has in common with River North by the Mag Mile, even though both in Illinois would consider themselves Chicagoans.

Other examples: Orange County, California have higher density suburbs than Chicagos, etc. New York City has New Jersey urban area such as Hoboken across the river. Chicago has nothing in comparison outside or on the edge of the city limits. It can be argued that even Detroit, yes Detroit with Windsor, Ann Arbor, Greenfield Village, Royal Oak has more to do outside its city limits that outside Chicagos city limits.

in a nutshell, Chicagos downtown/near north side is undoubtedly in a class by itself, the metro area as a whole though is rather comparable to at least a half dozen metro areas across the country.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Although downtown Chicago is extremely urban, the outlying areas by comparison very "snoozeville." you might say this is the case everywhere, well its not.

Compared to other metro areas, the outlying areas of Chicago have some of the least amount of attractions
This post is quite offensive. First off, dont call the entire area "snoozeville". I can list MANY a town in OC that are also incredibly lame and boooooring (Yorba Linda, anyone?). Youre generalizing here, BIG TIME. One hour you can be in Oak Park which is quite urban, with fantastic Frank Lloyd Wright housing and excellent PT. The next you can be in Long Grove, and feel like you stepped back in time 100 years with the covered bridges, etc. The next you can be in Schaumburg and living it up at the clubs or taking in some fine dining. If thats too much for you, head west towards Wayne, where youd swear you were in Kentucky with all the big homes on lots of land and huge horse communities. Too boring for you? Head up the road to Elgin where you can gamble in a "big" city. Dont want to gamble? Head to Wheaton, where its about as conservative as places come. Too conservative? Head over to blue collar West Chicago and feel like you were in Zacatecas. Dont like the Mexican food? Stroll over a few towns to Bloomingdale and hit up the authentic Indian joints. Wanna feel like youre in New England? Hinsdale, with its gorgeous housing stock and downtown, is just the ticket. Want to do some great nightlife? Naperville. Need to get to Chicago? Take advantage of the extensive Metra lines. Head up to Winnetka, Lake Forest, Kenilworth, etc, to feel like youre in the Hamptons almost. Need a beach? Evanston or Illinois State Beach will suffice. Want a deep forest? Choose from TONS of Forest Preserves. Lakes? Check. Streams? Check. Prairies? Check. Be sure to check out the vast housing stock of Victorians, Georgians, Greek Revivals, Unions, Moderns, etc, on the way out to the destinations. There are Childrens Museums, several water parks, Six Flags, outlet malls, dragstrips, Nascar tracks, indoor sports domes, arboretums, museums, historical sites, quaint B&B towns, bustling downtowns, air shows, boat races, skydiving, architectural tours, lots of minor league sports, ice rinks, infinite ballparks, go kart tracks, mini golf, pro golf (most in the world), cuisines from practically every country in the world it seems, endless summer fests, winter fests, fall fests, dragon boat races, art walks/fairs, professional horse racing, private automotive race tracks, cruise nights, infinite car shows, riverboat gambling, Greek/Venetian nights, Sci-Tech, you-pick-it orchards and pumpkin farms, hiking/biking/running trails, snowmobile trails, truck off-roading parks, snowboard parks, cross country ski trails, every type of shopping known to mankind, unique-to-IL places like Genos, Lous, Portillos, etc, Ravinia Fest, every concert known to mankind, drive-in theaters, live theater, mega-complexes w/IMAX theatres, several zoos, etc.

Thats just getting started. "Snoozeville", eh? Its kept me more than entertained for over 30 years, and Ive only seen probably 25% of the area.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:43 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
...Its kept me more than entertained for over 30 years, and Ive only seen probably 25% of the area.
You need to get out more.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 PM

Some of the North Shore suburbs have very nice downtowns, beaches, and parks. I prefer them to say, Mountain View, CA.

While I personally don't think most New York City suburbs are that interesting, I agree that the Bay Area has some of the nicest suburbs in the nation. But what's your point? Most large cities in the U.S. have pretty boring suburbs. Chicago's suburbs have more ammenities than most other cities' suburbs because of the shear population numbers. A lot of what they offer may be cheesy lowest common denominator entertainment, but that's America.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:33 PM

304 posts, read 904,552 times
Chicago is second to only Manhattan in terms of world-class activities and urban atmosphere. The density is monstrous and the streets are alive with people coming and going.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
Chicago is second to only Manhattan in terms of world-class activities and urban atmosphere. The density is monstrous and the streets are alive with people coming and going.
I'm sorry, what? Did you actually say something positive about Chicago? Are you feeling alright?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 PM

304 posts, read 904,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I'm sorry, what? Did you actually say something positive about Chicago? Are you feeling alright?
YUP.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineKnownAsLosAngeles View Post
I saw that you posted here and expected to read something like "Chicago sucks. LA absolutely disembowels Chicago and crushes its guts into oblivion" or something equally bizarre. But hot dang, did you just, um, actually, uh, say something nice about Chicago?

Someone pinch me.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:06 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
You seem awfully sure of that. Do you mean Chicago in its entirety, or just your neighborhood. Because I can assure you, I can walk up the street about 4 blocks at 1am on a Wednesday night and there will be plenty of people out and about. But I've also lived in areas of the city where at 1am on a wednesday night, the only things out are the crickets and rats. It all depends on where you live.
I AGREE WITH YOU!
every city has its quiet moments not sure where that dude lives of course sunday night is quiet HELLO?!?
downtown on sunday night is very quiet i worked for the RTA(regional transit authority) and when i would get out of work at 1130 pm on sunday night to catch the last orange line im tellin u it was weird how quiet it was, but aside from that, its usually always something to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago