Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the 'Times Square of Chicago?'
Magnificent Mile 56 48.70%
Block 37/Daley Plaza 3 2.61%
River North (Hard Rock Cafe, Gino's East, Rock 'n' Roll McDonald's) 13 11.30%
Navy Pier 11 9.57%
Millennium Park 13 11.30%
Randolph Street/Theater District 4 3.48%
Other 15 13.04%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,543 times

Advertisements

I always thought that in its' heyday, State/Washington or around there was the equivalent-until I visited NYC and saw the real thing. To be fair, Times Square and the heart of our downtown has undergone many changes throughout the years. It does die fast early downtown, unlike NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 10:10 PM

352 posts, read 778,257 times
The vegas stripis the only thing closest to times square then maybe hollywood near the chinese theater

Old 01-01-2019, 06:16 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
If Chicago ever got to be like New York in any way at all I would be out of here SO fast!!! There are MANY reasons I live here and not there!

Some people already hate that Chicago has become like New York with that dump Macys taken over Fields and the CTA bringing in those horrible new train cars with the seats facing each other instead of the windows like the New York trains do!

Old 01-01-2019, 07:54 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Times Square was iconic as long as anyone is alive. From the onset of neon to giant TV like screens It did have its declines in the 70s and finally the city cleaned it up. Toronto has a mock Times Square with giant screens and other streets. It is the --wannabe NYC.
Chicago is itself. Chose to maintain CLASS and SOPHISTICATION in choices. It should not be accused of a wannabe NYC. IMHO.

As for where Chicago COULD utilize a New Years outside gathering that might gain more National attention as a New Years Rock'n eve stop over New Orleans.....
In thinking on what to use for winter that Chicago has more chance in snow for over the heat island of NYC.

- Michigan and Wacker came to mind? Has had huge crowds for the ball game victory parades and iconic lighted buildings. But I still see along the river for solid hoards of people and bridge as .... if a incident occurred for panic? Could be more catastrophic.
- Millennium/Grant Park. Great blacktop too as skyscrapers could host extra-colorful lighting and words. But protecting garden areas mean barriers.... and could get muddy if thawing grounds etc.
- Daley Plaza - I wouldn't care if they plastered giant screens all over Daley Center .... Could work but not quite right to me?

- State from Lake to Randolph - that is MY CHOICE. I remember reading some hoped for more big flashing screens on Bock 37. Did not quite happen. But it still looks great all lit up. Could plaster a giant on on for a New Years event? Also the painted building wall where a blues singer multicolored artwork was painted.... could have had a screen or on te building facing the street? But the painting lighted will add more light anyway.

State Street is still a Great Street. Gets used less today for events and parades. New Years could be one.

Have the iconic Chicago Theater lit, CBS studios, Block 37 and Oriental Theater around the corner. There could be perhaps a concert at the Millennial Park Pavilion? But if bitter cold by chance? Not sure. Just would rather crowds on the streets in winter I'd say.....

But I would not expect confetti all over. That is the Times Square tradition.

But overall which spot is Chicago's crossroads of the Midwest overall ...... That is again, Michigan and Wacker and over the bridge.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:16 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Keep the excessiveness, gawdiness and waste of electricity in NYC, thank you. And those lame NYE "shows"(?), yeeech!

Old 01-02-2019, 12:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Times Square was iconic as long as anyone is alive. From the onset of neon to giant TV like screens It did have its declines in the 70s and finally the city cleaned it up. Toronto has a mock Times Square with giant screens and other streets. It is the --wannabe NYC.
Chicago is itself. Chose to maintain CLASS and SOPHISTICATION in choices. It should not be accused of a wannabe NYC. IMHO.

As for where Chicago COULD utilize a New Years outside gathering that might gain more National attention as a New Years Rock'n eve stop over New Orleans.....
In thinking on what to use for winter that Chicago has more chance in snow for over the heat island of NYC.

- Michigan and Wacker came to mind? Has had huge crowds for the ball game victory parades and iconic lighted buildings. But I still see along the river for solid hoards of people and bridge as .... if a incident occurred for panic? Could be more catastrophic.
- Millennium/Grant Park. Great blacktop too as skyscrapers could host extra-colorful lighting and words. But protecting garden areas mean barriers.... and could get muddy if thawing grounds etc.
- Daley Plaza - I wouldn't care if they plastered giant screens all over Daley Center .... Could work but not quite right to me?

- State from Lake to Randolph - that is MY CHOICE. I remember reading some hoped for more big flashing screens on Bock 37. Did not quite happen. But it still looks great all lit up. Could plaster a giant on on for a New Years event? Also the painted building wall where a blues singer multicolored artwork was painted.... could have had a screen or on te building facing the street? But the painting lighted will add more light anyway.

State Street is still a Great Street. Gets used less today for events and parades. New Years could be one.

Have the iconic Chicago Theater lit, CBS studios, Block 37 and Oriental Theater around the corner. There could be perhaps a concert at the Millennial Park Pavilion? But if bitter cold by chance? Not sure. Just would rather crowds on the streets in winter I'd say.....

But I would not expect confetti all over. That is the Times Square tradition.

But overall which spot is Chicago's crossroads of the Midwest overall ...... That is again, Michigan and Wacker and over the bridge.
Michigan/Wacker and the bridge sounds like the answer here..

Old 01-06-2019, 03:19 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
There isn't one, thank Christ. (I voted "other," since "none" wasn't an option.)

Last edited by SkylarkPhotoBooth; 01-06-2019 at 03:30 AM..

Old 01-06-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waytoodeep03 View Post
The vegas stripis the only thing closest to times square then maybe hollywood near the chinese theater
Many large Asian cities also have similar places now. The one in Tokyo is probably even more "Times Square" than the actual Times Square, but they exist in Seoul, Taipei, and other places, too. (I assume China's major cities will have them soon if they don't already, and Bangkok can't be far behind.) I really hope Chicago never develops anything like that. The only thing that could make me even less likely to want to go to the Mag Mile or Navy Pier than I already am would be if they surrounded them with dozens of massive multi-story video screens streaming advertisements.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:17 AM

1,022 posts, read 774,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Hmmm... Most of the New Yorkers I know hate Times Square, but I guess there are exceptions. I think they hate it because of the touristy schlock, but yet are sort of proud to have such a spectacle at the same time. Maybe a love/hate relationship?
New Yorkers are always telling people to avoid it so that shows what they think of Times Square.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
New Yorkers are always telling people to avoid it so that shows what they think of Times Square.
This has been my experience, as well. I've never met a New Yorker who is "proud" of the modern day version of Times Square. It's generally viewed as a metaphorical pile of manure you have to step around as you pass through Midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago