Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:13 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
I concur and would like to add Todd Stroger son of John, Emil Jones, son of Emil Jones, Dan Lipinski son of Bill Lipinski just for starters. I spent a lot of my life in Chicago, and there's not a day that I don't miss it, but would not want to go back to that corrupt feudalistic environment. In my youth Chicago was much more prosperous and liveable, despite the endemic corruption. Now the hassle just outweighs everything that once made the place great. The Republican Party has just been blown off the map, not just in Chicagoland, but pretty much the whole state. Chicago and Illinois resemble the old Politburo. Now you're poised to export this to the rest of the country. Wonderful.
Totally corrupt - Chicago makes no excuses and proudly presents the rest of the country with Barack Obama.
Sad state of affairs.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:25 AM

233 posts, read 701,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Let's see... the Senate race in Illinois is a foregone conclusion (can anyone even name Durbin's opponent?) and so is the Congressional race in my district. And so is Illinois electoral college delegation. Absent the latter, at least I might have some reason to vote, so it's the electoral college that has ultimately caused me to not bother voting this time around. That and I've decided to stop pretending like government acts in anyone's interest but its own.
Can't argue with you there, and as is often the case I should be more thorough in explaining my position. I do not want to see the electoral college abolished. I have no problem with electing the mayor, senator, house member, dog catcher etc. according to who gets the most votes. As far as the sorry situation in Illinois, well just who is to blame for that?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:38 AM

233 posts, read 701,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Why? That makes no sense whatsoever. The Electoral College is largely symbolic now, and is just a bad way to tally votes.
Sorry, call me an old fool if you like, but I like the original thinking behind the establishing of the EC. I'm not going to go into a long winded defense right now, others have done so far better than I would anyway. I live in a state that is very solidly red, but will trudge to the polls and vote on November 4.

In Defense of the Electoral College

It might not make any sense to you, but it does to some of us.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:45 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAI126 View Post
Can't argue with you there, and as is often the case I should be more thorough in explaining my position. I do not want to see the electoral college abolished. I have no problem with electing the mayor, senator, house member, dog catcher etc. according to who gets the most votes. As far as the sorry situation in Illinois, well just who is to blame for that?
Don't get me wrong, I'm in no hurry to see the electoral college abandoned either. Even today it's still useful. For one it forces candidates to pay attention to and balance both rural and urban concerns, whereas without it the rural areas could be ignored with impunity and we'd become an urbanocracy. For another, if you think the 2000 election was a mess, imagine if Florida had played out across the entire country. It would have been absolute chaos. If nothing else, the electoral college contained the chaos to a single state making it much easier to manage and resolve.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
I like the idea of reforming the electoral college from a state to a congressional district basis. Winner take all per congressional district (1 EV each). Then you get a two EV bonus for winning the state. This gives an incentive for Republicans to campaign in CA, and Democrats to campaign in TX.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:06 AM

Getting back on topic, comparing US soldier fatalities in Iraq to civilian fatalities in Chicago is apples to orange comparison.

The more even comparison is US soldier fatalities to Chicago police fatalities (both are armed professionals) or total Iraq civilian versus total Chicago civilian casualties. In both cases, obviously, the casualty numbers in Iraq dwarf those in Chicago (even if you adjust to a per capita basis). Its a stupid argument.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Getting back on topic, comparing US soldier fatalities in Iraq to civilian fatalities in Chicago is apples to orange comparison.
I agree. Lets see 2.8 million soldiers in Iraq and see what happens to those fatality levels.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Then can you perhaps tell me why this thread was re-opened?:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...hicago-11.html

Half the pages in it are not related to the topic, but it is still going on...

Not to mention the main antagonist seems to be a troll...
I, too, would like an answer to this question, jessiegirl98. The doublestandards are outrageous.

Secondly, are we not allowed to post a discussion amongst ourselves about how Chicagoans see the election?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I agree. Lets see 2.8 million soldiers in Iraq and see what happens to those fatality levels.
Well, obviously 2.8 million soldiers (if we even had that many available) would allow a much better security environment (meaning less casualties for both US and Iraqis.) Didn't Gen. Shinseki get fired for telling the truth that 400k troops would be necessary for occupation duty in Iraq?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
OK. You guys can move it over to P&OC since this isn't related to Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago