Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 PM

8 posts, read 18,832 times

Advertisements

I've searched around and read a bunch of the threads but haven't found the answer to my neigborhoods question. I currently live in Manhattan and will be re-locating to Chicago. I've been to just a few of the various neighborhoods in Chicago (Loop, River North, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park) but these didn't seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. From what I've read on here so far, maybe Lakeview or Old Town would work...

I'm in my early 30s and still like a nightlife scene, just not a crazy post-college frat scene. My budget is approx $1400/month for a studio or small 1-bedroom in a doorman building (would prefer the 1-bedroom if it's possible). I would like to avoid the monstrous high-rise. Are there mid-rise doorman buildings? My preference for a doorman building is not for the ammenities such as pool, gym, view, etc - I don't need any of that.

I don't have a car and don't mind walking 10-15 minutes to get to public transportation. I'd prefer not to live on a busy high-traffic street; it would be a luxury to be able to sleep through the night without waking from noisy garbage trucks and honking cabs. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,846,207 times
You might like any of the buildings along Lakeshore Drive, Lincoln Park West, or Lakeview Avenue. This would range from the Gold Coast to Lincoln Park to Lakeview. You said Lincoln Park wasn't what you were looking for, but the eastern edge along the park is a bit more grown up. The same can be said for Lakeview if you're in a nicer high-rent building.

It sounds like you don't want to be downtown, so Streeterville and the busier parts of River North are probably out.

It's hard to find ammenities like a pool outside of a high-rise situation. They're just too expensive to maintain when there aren't a lot of units involved.

$1400/month will go a long way in much of Chicago. You should be able to find a very nice one-bedroom or studio for that price.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:15 PM

I wouldn't mind living closer to downtown because it would probably be easier to get to work, but proximity to downtown isn't my priority. I'd like to be in an area with a neighborhood-y feel, with bars and restaurants nearby and people walking about. I'd prefer not to be surrounded by a lot of high-rise buildings, if that's possible. River North may work - I did some reading about that area. What about Old Town? I see that wasn't recommended - just the eastern part of Lincoln Park. Is the Old Town part of LIncoln Park a more family-oriented neighborhood? I'm early 30s, single. Just looking to get as much info as I can now to narrow it down so that it will be easier to look for an apt once I'm there. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM

I think I meant Near North, not River North.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,846,207 times
River North is a neighborhood that is part of the "Near North" community area. Old Town is nice, but is mostly two or three-flats along with single-family homes. It didn't sound like what you were looking for. In River North and Old Town, you have to be careful to leave a buffer between yourself and Cabrini Green, which is still alive and kicking in it's diminished state.

You won't really find doorman buidlings in Chicago that aren't high-rises. Some of these "high-rises" along Lakeshore Drive, Lincoln Park West, etc. are only about 15 stories tall. But your request for a doorman buidling is what pushed my advice towards the North Side lakefront. These neighborhoods will have high-rises along the lake, but then rather quickly turn to neat streets of low-rise flats, walk-ups, and houses. Lincoln Park, Lakeivew, Old Town, and River North are all walkable neighborhoods with good dining options, though River North has the worst "neighborhood feel" of the bunch. It's kind of an area where downtown bleeds into a converted warehouse district, and has way too many parking lots and tourists IMO.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Ah, that helps actually. I definitely would like to steer away from any touristy areas, as I would like to take advantage of the fact that living in a nice neighborhood-y area is actually an affordable option for me in Chicago. Gold Coast seems to get mixed reviews... somebody on the forum mentioned it tends to be older. As in retirees? My favorite NYC neighborhood is Tribeca which has a quieter, smaller city feel, with doorman buildings here and there. At this point, I'll have to take a look along the north side lakefront and see what I like best. Thank you so much for your help!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,672,456 times
I think you might have to decide which is more important -- a midrise or a doorman. As lookout mentioned, usually only highrises are going to have doorman, at least from what I have seen.

I really think Lincoln Park is the right place for you -- outside of the immediate DePaul campus area it's much less "frat boy-ish" and much more grown up, but still nice, vibrant, and walkable.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 26,634 times
one thing to keep in mind if you are looking at LP the farther east you go the less collegey the area is. also, oldtown might be a good call for you, specifically on Wells street or jsut off of it.
gold coast does have older people, but also has a lot of young people as well. i am 26 and have lived in GC for over a year. a lot of the big brownstone bulidings have garden aprtments and they are often rented by young people. also, there are some older low rise bulidings that are rented by young people as well. close to downtown, and the beack / parks . all in all gold coast is pretty nice if you can swing it.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:36 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,410,557 times
If you don't mind a slightly longer commute, and don't mind not having a doorman, I'd recommend checking out neighborhoods like Andersonville or Lincoln Square. (I'll admit that I'm kind of a homer for these areas.) There's stuff to do, tree-lined streets, and for your budget you could probably score a pretty nice place with plenty of space. Plus, if you aren't too far from the Metra, you can be downtown in 15 minutes.

Worth a look, maybe.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:20 PM

49 posts, read 137,894 times
You should look at the LSD highrises in lakeview. I live in one and its great. There are always units for rent. Right now there is a high floor 2 bedroom for rent for 1500. I have never seen them that low. There is a convenience store, dry cleaner, fitness center and doorman. No pool though. A building with a pool is going to cost more per month for sure. I don't think its really worth it to be honest. But there are always deals to be had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago