Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 PM

10 posts, read 26,476 times

Advertisements

I saw someone mention in another thread how he'd consider moving due because of having to show his ID to get on his block. (since Obama is now the President Elect)

I'm curious to know how Hyde Park residents (or ones from surrounding areas) think Hyde Park has changed since Obama began his quest for the White House. Do you think Hyde Park has changed for the worse? Or better?

Personally, I avoid the area surrounding Obama's house at all costs so I have no idea what it's like. I know someone who lives across the street from him and he tells me how tight security is so that's enough for me to stay away. Traffic and parking in Hyde Park alone is enough to give anyone a headache.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 03:43 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,107 times
well I bet nobody that lives on that block is a slight bit worried about anthing bad happening to them while their at home.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:47 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,394,185 times
We live in Hyde Park, it's a pain. My driver's license is wearing thin.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Kenwood has always been quieter than Hyde Park proper -- bigger single family homes, fewer rentals, lack of retail. I rather doubt that anyone on the same block as Obama really has much to worry about, maybe some news trucks to maneuver around. Once Michelle and the kids all settle in at the WH Kenwood is kind of an afterthought. The First Family will probably vacation in Hawaii, and I think Michelle's inlaw's will be only too happy to visit the WH so there won't be much need for the house in Kenwood. Best guess now is whether the "family home" will eventually become BHO Library & Museum or whether da Mare will push to have something in a more tourist attractive vicinity, course they could go for a "birthplace" type deal in the Islands, or even let Illinois and Hawaii (and maybe NY, Cambridge MA and Kansas) all submit competing bids....

Old 11-10-2008, 08:45 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,632,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
well I bet nobody that lives on that block is a slight bit worried about anthing bad happening to them while their at home.
Tell that to the woman that got raped in her building a couple of weeks ago about two blocks or so from Obama's house.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Hyde Park is a completely different place now. Flowers are in bloom even though it's November. Robins are singing and flitting from tree to tree even as temperatures drop below freezing. Rainbows now appear in the sky even when there has been no rain. In fact it will probably never rain in Hyde Park again, or at least for the next 4 to 8 years. Whole groups of citizens spontaneously gather together to form a chorus and break into song, usually Handel's "Messiah." Black and white folks can no longer distinguish each other by skin color -- racial differences have ceased to exist. Even Obama neighbor Louis Farrakhan has begun attending service at the synagogue across from Obama's house where the congregation has welcomed him without the slightest hint of grudge or grievance.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,808,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Hyde Park is a completely different place now. Flowers are in bloom even though it's November. Robins are singing and flitting from tree to tree even as temperatures drop below freezing. Rainbows now appear in the sky even when there has been no rain. In fact it will probably never rain in Hyde Park again, or at least for the next 4 to 8 years. Whole groups of citizens spontaneously gather together to form a chorus and break into song, usually Handel's "Messiah." Black and white folks can no longer distinguish each other by skin color -- racial differences have ceased to exist. Even Obama neighbor Louis Farrakhan has begun attending service at the synagogue across from Obama's house where the congregation has welcomed him without the slightest hint of grudge or grievance.
Sour grapes! Having beared the terrible Bush victories of 2000 and 2004, I can understand the sulky feeling you conservatives are feeling right now, however. Eventually you will just get used to it.

If the media really wanted to do Barack Obama a favor, they'd lay off the ridiculous levels of praise and hype. He will make mistakes, as every President eventually does. Expectations for this man have been set unreasonably high--or at least the media is making it appear so.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:44 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
Default Ground Zero

Sexual assault can be common in university areas where there can be relatively large numbers of women walking around outside at late hours and there is a great amount of intermingling of folks. The tragic assault was about a half mile from Obama.

In Hyde Park you cannot go into a public accommodation that does not have a framed Obama picture and a claim that it is his favorite joint. However, for the past 18 months I have not seen him in the Pancake House, where he was a regular.

Showing ID is not really that much of an imposition. Parking in Hyde Park has always been better than on the north side and few spaces have been eliminated. Sometimes the free spaces are only available to people who can show that they live on the block, so it’s the outside visitors who get disadvantaged. Plus there are tourists and students – two hard-headed groups. I spent all Saturday raking leaves in my front yard and advising people not to drive down my block – they invariably had to back out a few minutes later. For some reason, one tourist took a picture of corner two blocks from Obama’s house. I had told her that the secret service would let her on 51st street if she asked and kept her hands in sight.

The worst problem is in the bus lines. The #2 and #15 have been re-routed off Hyde Park Blvd. (51st st) to I do not know where. That is an inconvenience to CTA users like myself.

If you come to Hyde Park, spend money!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:27 PM

725 posts, read 1,850,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Lol, I'm an Obama supporter but I thought this was funny.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times
I walked home down 51st street tonite. From there, you can look in Obama's windows, if that's your thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago