Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:52 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
thats his opinion, i may not agree with it but its his opinion, it may not be right in your eyes or mine, but its his opinion
Thanks for pointing out that someone's opinion is, in fact, someone's opinion.

I typed the above statement. It may be right or it may be wrong. But I typed the above statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I suppose if you replaced the world "yuppies" with "blacks", "Jews", or "Mexicans", or "Asians", there would be nothing wrong with that either, right?

Being a yuppie is something people choose to do and is a class issue. In The United States though discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender, age and religion are illegal discrimination based on social class is allowed and even encouraged. Though it's supposed to work downhill not uphill.

That said I've no beef with gentrification, I've seen some wonderful neighborhoods go down the tubes in my day and I'm glad some are getting nice again. I grew up in Austin, know what I mean? And I lived in Uptown.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM

894 posts, read 2,382,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Thanks for pointing out that someone's opinion is, in fact, someone's opinion.

I typed the above statement. It may be right or it may be wrong. But I typed the above statement.

lol typical condescing judgemental yuppie, thinking just because he got a little more wealth that others he knows best

Old 01-14-2009, 03:04 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
No Chimack that's not what jdiddy was doing at all. The point is argue your beliefs if you have them, don't hide behind "well it's his opinion."

You obviously feel similarly to stupid-flier-with-a-completely-incomprehensible-font man, so argue your point intelligently. This is a place for debate, so don't be afraid to have it. As long as you throw out an opinion without truly backing it up with anything legitimate you won't get very far here.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:05 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Being a yuppie is something people choose to do and is a class issue. In The United States though discrimination based on race, ethnicity, gender, age and religion are illegal discrimination based on social class is allowed and even encouraged.
'
Quoted for good measure.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:06 PM

67 posts, read 247,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I suppose if you replaced the world "yuppies" with "blacks", "Jews", or "Mexicans", or "Asians", there would be nothing wrong with that either, right?

BTW, I agree with the annoyingness of the font.
Not saying I agree or disagree - in fact, I can't even see the flyer from my work computer - but that is not a fair comparison. No one is born a yuppie. That said, as long as market forces are in play, gentrification is a part of life that people will have to adjust to. I think there's an argument to be made for the idea that reserving a certain amount of low-income/middle-income/affordable housing helps a city, or neighborhood, retain cultural value. There are probably equally good arguments against that idea, though. No easy answer on this one - in Chi or any major American city.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoaklandish View Post
Not saying I agree or disagree - in fact, I can't even see the flyer from my work computer - but that is not a fair comparison. No one is born a yuppie. That said, as long as market forces are in play, gentrification is a part of life that people will have to adjust to. I think there's an argument to be made for the idea that reserving a certain amount of low-income/middle-income/affordable housing helps a city, or neighborhood, retain cultural value. There are probably equally good arguments against that idea, though. No easy answer on this one - in Chi or any major American city.
Sure, legally there is a distinction. But in reality, the term "yuppie" as applied here basically refers to college-educated whites. I see no moral distinction.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
I've seen other yuppies besides white.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,034,911 times
It reads like it came from a simple mind who writes based in emotion opposed to logic. Talk about taking your audience/readers for granted!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:27 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
The problem with the "yuppie" talk in Uptown is that most of the middle-class white people who bought condos there in the last ten years have done so because they couldn't afford to buy a similar place in Lake View, Lincoln Park, etc. So the Alderman saying "If you don't like it, go back to Lincoln Park" isn't exactly a class-sensitive sentiment. And the simplistic, stupid idea that anyone who buys a condo in Uptown is committing an evil act is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Some (though not a lot) of the condo buildings have been in Uptown since before many of these COURAJ morons were born.

By the way, my building went condo in 1978, so I personally didn't "displace" anyone by buying my condo. If anything, the condo boom allowed several older folks in my building to move into nicer nursing homes after they cashed in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago