Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 PM

170 posts, read 536,090 times

Advertisements

Purposely spelling a word wrong will definitely get me to side with the group, that's for sure. How cool and edgy of them. Right in line with my generation, so they must be cool. I mean, who spells words properly anymore? That's so two years ago, man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM

131 posts, read 356,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoaklandish View Post
in fact, I can't even see the flyer from my work computer
me neither. someone type out its contents, typos and all!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
I am going to purchase a condo in Uptown just to laugh maniacally from the rooftop as I spit on minorities below. I'll throw my arms wide while my black coat ripples in the wind. And where did I buy that coat? Banana Republic, that's where. And that scarf on my neck? Burberry. The gloves that shoved that old lady in the wheelchair down the steps? Lauren.

Why? Because I'm an evil white person, that's why. Get your ass to steppin, 'cause I'm here to buy your community.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,077,914 times
Hilarious. I guess the Couraj are the original settlers of that area, direct descendants of the Potawatomis, so they have the moral rights to the area. Of course when they moved in they displaced no one. History starts with them.

I remember long ago in Hyde Park this black guy named Joe next door to me used to ***** to me about how the university was ruining "his" (ie black people's) neighborhood. When I pointed out that that the university existed there in HP long before the first black person, he told me he was going to kick my ass. Some people don't want to listen to reason I guess.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I am going to purchase a condo in Uptown just to laugh maniacally from the rooftop as I spit on minorities below. I'll throw my arms wide while my black coat ripples in the wind. And where did I buy that coat? Banana Republic, that's where. And that scarf on my neck? Burberry. The gloves that shoved that old lady in the wheelchair down the steps? Lauren.

Why? Because I'm an evil white person, that's why. Get your ass to steppin, 'cause I'm here to buy your community.
Flaunt that attitude in certain parts of Uptown and you might buy a bullet as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 PM

161 posts, read 411,788 times
Default Man

Sounds like it's time for a counter offensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
This flier occasionally gets passed out in Uptown near the Wilson "L" stop. I'd comment more, but it's so stupid it makes my brain hurt. I was hesitant to post it because it would bring attention to the idiotic group "COURAJ", but the entertainment value is high because of the sheer ridiculousness of it all. I think the organization "COURAJ" is really just a old rabble-rouser lawyer named Marc Kaplan and whatever left-wing college kids he can scrape up in a particular summer.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I cant see the flyer so I cant comment. Anyone have a link or something? Im sure "COURAJ" has a website somewhere. Gee, I cant wait to read his/her stuff.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:57 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
hope i typed it out correctly (alas, I couldn't replicate that crappy font!):

Do You Want To Help Preserve a Diverse Community?

Do you want to help solve the problem of destroyed families, lives and unaffordable communities?

Do you consider yourself a good person who believes in helping your fellow man and woman?

If you answered yes, we urge you not to buy a Condo in Uptown. The Condo craze is destroying our community. It is making the cost of living in Uptown unaffordable to working families, seniors and long time residents. By buying a condo you are adding to the artificial rise in property taxes that are making it very difficult to keep rents affordable. Help our community survive by buying elsewhere.

Be part of the solution to the housing crises.

Do the heroic thing and don’t buy in Uptown

The people of Uptown will thank you and hold you in high honor.

Thank You!

For more information call COURAJ 769-2085

another "anti-gentrification" rant, only this one, unlike some previous ones here, seems to be a "diverse" rant from no particular race or ethnic group. IDK, you'd think people would want people to invest in an area by buying, which would seemingly make an area less transient and boast services. but what do I know, I don't live there (and if I wanted to buy and live there, I wouldn't let some stupid little flyer stop me either! I'd probably wear a "I bought a condo in Uptown and am PROUD OF IT!!" T-shirt! )

not sure when being a young, educated professional living in the city and looking to buy housing in an area become so taboo and frowned upon to the point there are community groups protesting against them. I guess after I graduate and land a decent job, I shouldn't bother buying in the city so as not to rouse any anti-yuppie (or at least in my case, "buppie") sentiments

Last edited by eevee; 01-15-2009 at 01:12 AM..

Old 01-15-2009, 07:56 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
The guy who is basically the one man COURAJ group (Marc Kaplan) is a white lawyer who has rented in Uptown for years. I think he's just bitter about his bad financial decision. He could have bought his place just off Montrose for $50,000 in the 1980s, and now it's worth closer to $300,000.

As easy as it is to laugh off Marc Kaplan, he is quite influential with Alderman Shiller. When she "consults the community" about a decision, COURAJ is used to prove how "the residents of Uptown" really feel about an issue.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
he is just saying what he feels, maybe he is right maybe he is wrong but thats how he feels, he doesnt want yuppies in uptown and i dont think there is anything wrong with that
Well people in Scranton don't want gays/lesbians moving here from nearby NYC, but hell the closeted LGBT population here is relatively large already from we homegrown natives, so that pretty much debunks that futile battle!

I don't think one group should have the right to tell another group where they can or can not live. That's asinine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago