Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Just not you two.

Nothing personal against BTs specifically... I mostly just don't like "punt dogs" -- that is, dogs small enough that it would be physically possible to punt them through a set of uprights if it weren't kinda mean. Even beagles are a bit small for my taste, at least the 13" variety. What I really wanted was harriers, but beagles are a whole lot easier to come by.
I'm actually inclined to agree with you. I always had big dogs as a kid -- collies and labs and Germans, and I never thought I'd like small dogs.

But I really missed having a dog in college and knew I couldn't devote the time nor would I have the space for such big dogs at home. A Boston just made sense. When it came time to get a new one (because I was said that the first wasn't a puppy anymore LOL!) it was an easy decision to get another Boston because our first one is so awesome.

If we ever have a house SO really wants a boxer or a bulldog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Quote:
Just not you two.

Nothing personal against BTs specifically... I mostly just don't like "punt dogs" -- that is, dogs small enough that it would be physically possible to punt them through a set of uprights if it weren't kinda mean. Even beagles are a bit small for my taste, at least the 13" variety. What I really wanted was harriers, but beagles are a whole lot easier to come by.
So you don't like dogs that are actually sized properly for city living? It's cruel to have a big ol' dog in a Chicago apartment or bungalow.

Beagles are manly enough. C'mon.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
^^
I do as well.

Amstaffs are awesome looking.

Wish they didn't have that bad publicity.
You guys are so ghetto.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:06 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I think you can have a big dog in the city and make it work, but you really have to be dedicated to giving them long long walks -- I'm simply not that dedicated.

If you don't give a dog what they need, they will make your life miserable. I've seen it so many times.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
It's not the size that matters, it's the temprement. For instance I'd never own a Jack Russel Terrier without a decent-sized yard unless I lived next to a big wide-open space where I knew they could safely run. Bloodhounds, on the other hand, may weigh over 100lbs but they're content to simply go for walks with the occasional vigorous trot. They're not going to destroy your house if you don't run every last bit of energy out of them.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think you can have a big dog in the city and make it work...
I really don't. I know lot's of people that do this, but I think it's selfish and cruel. A large dog is not some sort of giant stuffed animal to hug and keep on your bed (this is not aimed at you, argax6!).

I have no problem with the Boston Terrieirs, but just don't like the sqat-nosed dogs. It's a personal preference thing. I may just get some medium-sized mutt from a shelter when the time comes to bring a dog home...

Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
It's not the size that matters, it's the temprement. For instance I'd never own a Jack Russel Terrier without a decent-sized yard unless I lived next to a big wide-open space where I knew they could safely run. Bloodhounds, on the other hand, may weigh over 100lbs but they're content to simply go for walks with the occasional vigorous trot. They're not going to destroy your house if you don't run every last bit of energy out of them.
My friends that have large dogs in small spaces have Labs and German Shepherds. These dogs need space. But of course, so does the smaller Border Collie...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Thanks! At least someone here has awesome taste in dogs
I have awesome taste in dogs too. Only Chicago style will do thank you very much.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I really don't. I know lot's of people that do this, but I think it's selfish and cruel. A large dog is not some sort of giant stuffed animal to hug and keep on your bed (this is not aimed at you, argax6!)....
Not if you actually have a yard like at least half of Chicagoans do. Many people that have houses let their dog(s) have the basement as their personal doghouse. I know many people that do this. Thus you can have a "big" dog even in a Bungalow.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:28 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Interesting list considering last years AKC BOB and BOS winner was a Beagle! I adopted a standard poodle that had been mistreated; he lived 16 years. A couple of years ago I adoped a Weim that was a 56#, complete male, delivered with 30# of moldy food and seperation anxiety. He was agressive, never socialized and had Schutshund or police training, to boot. Today he is a 100# (not fat), neutered, happy, social, much better adjusted pet. Unfortunately he has cancer. Someay I would like to find a good Bloodhound with a big voice, that's house broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: