Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 11:37 PM

9 posts, read 33,307 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago on Saturday! Into an apartment that's in the area enclosed by La Salle, W North, W Division and Lake Shore, to give you an idea of what I'm near, and my friend who is helping me shlep my stuff using his car would like to stay the night before leaving to go back Sunday. Where can he most cheaply park? I've heard to park on the street after 6PM he'll need a guest pass, but isn't all the street parking meters? Do you have to pay for a guest pass *and* the meters? Or are the meters only for certain times? I remember seeing a parking garage around there somewhere offering 20$ a day parking but I wasn't sure if that was a 9-5 deal or if they meant a full 24 hours.

Also, is easter traffic going to be awful? :P
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Go to your Alderman's office with a copy of your lease and buy a book of passes. They do not cost that much.

"One-Day Residential Parking Permit Guest passes (which are valid for 24 hours from the time of posting), are available to area residents in packs of 15 for $8.00 per pack (limit 2 packs per month - no exceptions)."

"Requirements:

• Photo ID

• proof of residency

• $8.00 (cash, credit, or check) "
================================================== ========
In the future you can go online and buy them. The new system went online yesterday.

Office of the Chicago City Clerk -- Vehicle Sticker Purchase (http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/online_index.html - broken link)

https://webapps.cityofchicago.org/St...ickerRecord.do

...and soon you will be able to buy your city sticker and residential sticker online as well. The city has a new sticker that combines both stickers into one for 2009-2010.

Office of the Chicago City Clerk -- Vehicle Sticker Purchase (http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/online_index.html - broken link)

================================================== ============================
I believe you are either in the 43rd or 42nd Ward. I can't tell you which because I do not know your address. This is something you are going to have to determine.

42nd Ward:
Brendan Reilly | Knowing The 42nd Ward | Ward Map
Alderman Brendan Reilly

43rd Ward:
Chicago 43rd Ward Map
Chicago's 43rd Ward Aldermanic Office - Vi Daley, Alderman

================================================== ==========
Using a guest pass does not mean you can park at a meter without paying. On the converse you do not need a guest pass to park at the meters in a specific area.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-10-2009 at 12:15 AM..

Old 04-09-2009, 11:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Parking rates at garages are measured per day, and at most garages, each day starts at 12am. If the parking rate is $20, it will cost you $20 to park from 6am to 11:59pm. It would cost you $40 to park from 11:50pm to 12:05 am.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:09 AM

Do either of you happen to know if anywhere in that area is unmetered? We wouldn't mind a bit of a walk if it means parking only costs the guest pass.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
All of the residential side streets are unmetered, but it might be pretty tight even in the zoned areas. If you want guest parking, bring a copy of your lease to your alderman's office. They'll want proof of residency.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:16 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,749 times
I would tell him to park in an unpermitted area near a train or bus line. type your address here and see if if give you anything in your neighborhood but the options will probably be few and far between.

Chicago Garage, Meter, Permit, and Street Parking Information :: - ParkingAnyTime

Old 04-10-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I would tell him to park in an unpermitted area near a train or bus line. type your address here and see if if give you anything in your neighborhood but the options will probably be few and far between.

Chicago Garage, Meter, Permit, and Street Parking Information :: - ParkingAnyTime
By unpermitted I take it you mean you don't need a permit, not that it's disallowed? When I'm there how can I tell which areas don't need a permit and which do? Unfortunately that site doesn't work for my area yet :/

Old 04-10-2009, 11:06 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallsauce View Post
By unpermitted I take it you mean you don't need a permit, not that it's disallowed? When I'm there how can I tell which areas don't need a permit and which do? Unfortunately that site doesn't work for my area yet :/
Hm, that's a bummer. Yes, I live in a residential area that doesn't require a permit so anyone can park there. You can look on a google map for a red line stop or perhaps a 22/36 bus stop. Then look up the coordinated for that location on the parking anytime site. it will tell you where with blocks of that address there is non-permit overnight parking available. that way your friend can park for as long as he'd like for the cost of bus fare.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Hm, that's a bummer. Yes, I live in a residential area that doesn't require a permit so anyone can park there. You can look on a google map for a red line stop or perhaps a 22/36 bus stop. Then look up the coordinated for that location on the parking anytime site. it will tell you where with blocks of that address there is non-permit overnight parking available. that way your friend can park for as long as he'd like for the cost of bus fare.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not familiar -- if you park at a bus station and you buy a fare do you get a placard to put on your car or something? Or do you pay a fare to get into the parking lot or ... ?

Old 04-10-2009, 04:27 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,096 times
The bus stops dont have parking lots. You would be parking on the street, in an area that does not require a permit.

Edit: If you catch the bus up at Howard, they have a parking lot...but there would be no point in you taking a bus from that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago