Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times

Advertisements

LOL

Oh man.

LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:55 PM

683 posts, read 4,617,625 times
Yes, well said Cro-Mag. Some people do seem to think that there is only one city who has bad drivers, one city who has rude people, one city where traffic is the worst. Well, LA may be the worst for traffic, haha. But yes, different kinds of people are everywhere you go.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:32 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,346,539 times
Redboar...I dont agree with you 100% but I do think its a little strange the way Chicagoans react to criticism. I'm with you on a few of your points, and in some cases the grass is greener elsewhere. It helps to acknowledge a city's weaknesses sometimes in order to find better solutions.

ahem. but, I dont think the attractivness of the women is neccessarily one of our weaknesses but of course I am biased.

true though, I have noticed people in the west are often healthier looking, and I even felt compelled to be healthier living out there too.

apples and oranges...whatever the case (phoenix and chicago) but if your happier there, good for you. no one should remain in a place for 29 years if they are unhappy....truly, some cities have their own identity and it may not suit you at all.

sometimes relocating can be like starting a new life...a happier one. and chicago may be to the miami couple what pheonix is to you....to each their own.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:42 PM

31 posts, read 36,055 times
Well said, I believe relocating never became an option for me until I started to travel more extensively. I can bring up certain issues until I'm blue in the face but why throw pearls to pigs? It's just not worth it.

Summers in Phoenix to some people are like hell on earth and for me they're not a big deal (there is A/C everywhere), while winters in Chicago to me are absolute hell and I felt physically ill throughout them, yet a lot of people shrug them off. There's no doubt that a rude stare after someone cuts you off in traffic is more stinging when you feel ill, but that's not really limited to me or how I feel in colder weather. I'm where I belong and likewise you and in that sense I never meant to fault anyone. I really hate blanket statements Moderator cut: personal insults

The taste in women thing is also completely subjective, but again I'm led to believe there is something when there is nothing, at least to my perception, and somehow my taste is a moral error? I simply reject this mentality and ridicule it like it deserves.

Like I posted earlier I didn't have an intention of writing again but I got the "new post" message and curiosity killed the cat.

For those who didn't attack me, take care and I encourage everyone to travel far in excess of Wisconsin or Indiana.

Last edited by Marka; 05-15-2007 at 05:25 AM..

Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 AM

45 posts, read 169,467 times
As a woman (who doesn't live in Chicago by the way), I find it offensive that the women of an entire city are being rated on the basis of their attractiveness. What if I said that the men in Chicago aren't good looking? I think people would say that was a shallow generalization, and that I'm stuck-up to think that the male inhabitants of an entire city aren't good enough for me. How attractive are you, Redboar?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by july View Post
How attractive are you, Redboar?
Everyone is Brad Pitt or Jessica Alba on the internet, didn'tchyaknow?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 PM

36 posts, read 245,373 times
Skokie is a humdrum suburb, and doesn't really reflect the real Chicago. It's like saying Nassau County, Long Island or the Oranges in New Jersey are New York City. Nicest Neighborhoods in the city are... ANYTHING around the Loop or Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Lincoln Square, Wicker Park, Urkranian Village, Andersonville, Hyde Park. Nicest "quasi urban" suburbs are Oak Park, Forest Park, Evanston. Middle of the road nice suburbs are around Beverly (southwest), or Lincolnwood(north). Fancy Suburbs are Naperville, Highland Park (or anything else on the North Shore), and some nice hoods aroung Schaumburg (Northwest) and Aurora. But they are FAR outside the city. If you like the "hood" that is still liveable for urban pioneers, check out Uptown, Rogers Park, or Bronzeville, UIC/Pilsen, Logan Square.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,511 times
What are the best areas close to downtown for a mixed wh/blk couple with a kid that is blk and in 5th grade comming from d.c so we pay about 1000 now for a 1 bedroom shack in a very expensive to buy and highly taxed part of the suburbs called montgomery co.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:54 AM

36 posts, read 245,373 times
South Loop, is the way to go. Check out this month's Chicago Magazine. They did a cover story on the South Loop. Hyde Park and Kenwood are more affordable and are also classic and beautiful "mixed" neighborhoods. Also, Oak Park is a high quality safe bet.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:59 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,091,867 times
You'd be hard pressed to fine a one bedroom for less than 1300 a month in the south loop, I love that part of the city but there is a reason i don't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago