Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:28 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Unless the owner wants it to be a plain, bland, old wall.

Venom, you know what's interesting? We have worked with a public arts group which has installed and repaired many murals, some of them quite famous, around Chicago. I asked one of the staff about grafitti and tagging and she told me that it almost never happens, unless the mural is in an obvious state of deterioration. I guess there's a code, even for gangs, not to tag public art - either that or the gangbangers have a soft spot for art!
Public property, I'm the public, I don't want it like that.

Oh yeah, I forgot that one too. don't do it over other pieces of art.
Are you one of those artsy people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I love it when you speak to yourself on your own behalf.
GRRRR

Old 05-04-2009, 01:39 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Unless the owner wants it to be a plain, bland, old wall.

Venom, you know what's interesting? We have worked with a public arts group which has installed and repaired many murals, some of them quite famous, around Chicago. I asked one of the staff about grafitti and tagging and she told me that it almost never happens, unless the mural is in an obvious state of deterioration. I guess there's a code, even for gangs, not to tag public art - either that or the gangbangers have a soft spot for art!

Yeah I seen public graffiti art across the city, even in the worst hoods. I do notice that gangs don't put their gang tags over public art work. Gangs like to tag garages, abandon houses and buildings. One of the worst graffiti cases happen in the suburb of Posen where 20 houses/fences was prayed with Latin Kings symbols.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:42 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Well I wouldn't like it, but the odds of that ever happening is very slim. Most graffiti(the art version) I seen are on trains and on side of buildings(sometime abandon) or in an alley. The ones that like to tag on people garages, fence, or on the side of houses are gang members and most likely be gang tags.
You obviously don't own any realestate whether that be a house, garage, abandoned building or train car.

Unless you're spray painting your own house, fence, alleyway or train car, you are vandalizing and destroying property. Graffiti, whether it's gang tagging or something else, does nothing but lower property values.

I find it really hard anyone could justify grafitti. If you like art so much, go to a museum.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:45 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Graffiti may have had some artistic merritt thirty years ago in New York, but now it's mainly a bunch of moron kids trying to be "urban". Half of those damn taggers are from the burbs now. There's nothing "interesting" about graffiti in this day and age. It has played itself out as an "art form".

And the "code" is total bull****. Almost all of the graffiti you see along the Red Line is on the backs of private houses and condo/apartment buidlings--and sometimes over windows. It's vandalism, and the dip****s that do it should have their knees broken.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:46 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Chuck Norris and Charles Bronson will take care of the situation.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
You obviously don't own any realestate whether that be a house, garage, abandoned building or train car.

Unless you're spray painting your own house, fence, alleyway or train car, you are vandalizing and destroying property. Graffiti, whether it's gang tagging or something else, does nothing but lower property values.

I find it really hard anyone could justify grafitti. If you like art so much, go to a museum.

What if the graffiti was approved and is legal artwork, would you still think it's wrong? They have graffiti work like that spread out in the city. I mean there is no large city probably in the world that don't have some type of graffiti. If everything was squeaky clean, then it look all yuppified and dull. Compared to LA and NYC, Chicago graffiti scene is not that bad except for some gang tags in gang hoods. I do agree it's wrong to see graffiti on places like Mosques, churches, houses, and private buildings; Seeing them on train cars is not that bad. When I say train cars, I'm not talking about the Metra and El.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 05-04-2009 at 01:59 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
What if the graffiti was approved and is legal artwork, would you still think it's wrong? They have graffiti work like that spread out in the city.
It's not wrong in that case, but it's still lame.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Lookout Kid thinks everything is lame.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:34 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
It depends where and what in my opinion as to whether or not graff is art. Some of the stuff under bridges and on industrial freight rail cars is pretty impressive. The gang scribble on some ones property or place of business, not so impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago