Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My understanding of the construction industry is that it's common for construction contractors (especially "mom-and-pop" contractors) to hire their employees as independent contractors rather than as employees due to the highly variable workload that is intrinsic to being a construction contractor; in other words this hiring practice is common and accepted in the industry.

That is exactly right....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 10:30 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,209,352 times
Quote:
My understanding of the construction industry is that it's common for construction contractors (especially "mom-and-pop" contractors) to hire their employees as independent contractors rather than as employees due to the highly variable workload that is intrinsic to being a construction contractor; in other words this hiring practice is common and accepted in the industry.
Absolutely. The key thing is that the work is variable, and usually project based. If a contractor keeps someone working full time between projects (doing bids, sales, maintaining equipment) they should look into making them full time. Friends of mine who are contractors will have 10 or more guys working for them during a project, but always have one or two guys on staff as full time employees even when they don't have a project going.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 AM

425 posts, read 1,436,544 times
All real estate agents are independent contractors, btw...

Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank0604 View Post
All real estate agents are independent contractors, btw...

So are many successful hairdressers....

If you are the top in your field, I think it's often the best way to go IMO.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
If you made a "boatload of money" as a contractor and had all the benefits and protection as an employee, you had a great gig .

I wasn't a "contractor", I was a temporary employee hired out of a union hiring hall. I worked for contractors.

The con is when contractors want to treat their employees as "contractors". Where does that end? Is every employee to be so treated? What stops any employer from calling his employees "contractors" and then screwing them out of their workman's comp, FICA and unemployment insurance? This also has implications as to who's responsible for on the job injuries and their expenses.

I was always on the respectable "big time" side of the construction industry working for people like Bechtel, American Bridge, Chicago Bridge, B&W and CE; where if you wanted to better yourself you didn't do it by tearing down your own conditions as an employee but by moving up into company management as a superintendant or by being a foreman or general foreman. I never worked for a company that would even try treating me as anything other than an employee with rights granted me by law and contract.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 02-05-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I wasn't a "contractor", I was a temporary employee hired out of a union hiring hall. I worked for contractors.

The con is when contractors want to treat their employees as "contractors". Where does that end? Is every employee to be so treated? What stops any employer from calling his employees "contractors" and then screwing them out of their workman's comp, FICA and unemployment insurance?
The law does. Unfortunately there is no bright-line rule but rather it's facts and circumstances. The criteria for an employee/IC determination are laid out in IRS Publication 15-A, starting on page 6, with examples following.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15a.pdf

If in doubt, an employer can get a determination from the IRS by submitting form SS-8.

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf

Old 02-05-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The law does. Unfortunately there is no bright-line rule but rather it's facts and circumstances. The criteria for an employee/IC determination are laid out in IRS Publication 15-A, starting on page 6, with examples following.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15a.pdf

If in doubt, an employer can get a determination from the IRS by submitting form SS-8.

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fss8.pdf

Thanks.

I would think the NLRB has something to say on this too.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:

The con is when contractors want to treat their employees as "contractors". Where does that end? Is every employee to be so treated? What stops any employer from calling his employees "contractors" and then screwing them out of their workman's comp, FICA and unemployment insurance? This also has implications as to who's responsible for on the job injuries and their expenses.

I was always on the respectable "big time" side of the construction industry working for people like Bechtel, American Bridge, Chicago Bridge, B&W and CE; where if you wanted to better yourself you didn't do it by tearing down your own conditions as an employee but by moving up into company management as a superintendant or by being sent out of the hall as a foreman or general foreman. I never worked for a company that would even try something as underhanded as treating me as anything other than an employee with rights granted me by law and contract.
I understand what you're saying. I was just pointing out that there are instances where being an independent contractor can be advantageous rather than "being screwed." I have worked with many independent contractors that prefer this status (and the tax breaks it affords) over being an employee.

The difference between a temp employee, full-time/part-time employee, and independent contractor is not always clear-cut. It sometimes takes a labor attorney or court case to work it out. Here's another IRS brochure on it:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1779.pdf

"A general rule is that you, the payer, have the right to control or direct only the result of the work done by an independent contractor, and not the means and methods of accomplishing the result."

Additional guidelines on who can be considered an independent contractor versus an employee are as follows (from the IRS website):
- Individuals will likely be considered employees if they receive ‘extensive’ (note that the definition of this term is left up to interpretation by the IRS) instruction on:

* how, when or where to do the work they will perform
* what tools or equipment to use
* where to purchase supplies and services

- Individuals will likely be considered employees if they receive training about required procedures and methods.

- Individuals will likely be considered independent contractors if they:
* make significant investment in their work
* do not get directly reimbursed for expenses
* have the ability to make profit or loss on their work
* receive no benefits from the company, such as health insurance and paid vacation

Old 02-05-2009, 01:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Thanks.

I would think the NLRB has something to say on this too.
I'm not sure they do. The NRLB is more concerned with union laws. Seeing how the primary net effect of the different classifications is tax treatment, which is not union-specific, this is pretty squarely an IRS issue.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure they do. The NRLB is more concerned with union laws. Seeing how the primary net effect of the different classifications is tax treatment, which is not union-specific, this is pretty squarely an IRS issue.
The NLRB weighs in on this too. Here's a general outline from a law firm, though meant to aid employers it seems even handed.

http://www.morganlewis.com/pubs/LEPG...st_11dec08.pdf

I'll ask my daughter tonight. She's a lawyer and interned with a labor law firm here in town. I ought'a get something for all the dough I dished out educating her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: