Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:50 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post

Would be nice to have some positive media and positive things coming from people - we all are differnt and all have different tastes but to be undesirable is highly unlikely.. sure it not to me and it does not sound like it is to you and the close to 3 million that call this place home.
The problem is that the media leans heavy on the negative naturally. It's what sells. You'll never see a headline that reads EVERYTHING'S PEACHY. As far as others' perception of Chicago, while Sunbelters don't understand how we put up with the weather and corruption, and some New Yorkers respect us (some don't), we do get a good amount of positive press from people that see Chicago as cleaner and friendlier than New York or LA-- maybe somewhat less chaotic, less pressured, but still with plenty to do. When we get into a Detroit-like situation, where nearly nobody has anything good to say, that is when we are in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Yes, I do hear a lot of people mention how clean Chicago is compared to other cities
and it certainly is in many areas in others it really needs cleaned up

Detroit has gotten a lot of bad press that is so true but in the end I strongly believe that city will rebound. They hit rock bottom but there are good people there to clean that area of the midwest up and make it sparkle again. Regionally the Midwest needs to band together

I realize its a little off post (sorry)

Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
^ I respect Detroit and like the metro area, but honestly I don't think the city has hit rock bottom. There are some areas near downtown where things are happening, but much of the rest of the city is still in its slide. I'd hardly say people there are finally breathing a sigh of relief and starting to rebuild with optimism.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ I respect Detroit and like the metro area, but honestly I don't think the city has hit rock bottom. There are some areas near downtown where things are happening, but much of the rest of the city is still in its slide. I'd hardly say people there are finally breathing a sigh of relief and starting to rebuild with optimism.
Okay sorry to get off topic , new to the boards and not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I see that getting off topic is pretty easy to do.

I believe the original thread was Chicago not being desirable so again i do apologize.

Sorry posters- I also have a lot of friends in Michigan and just wanted to be optimistic.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:10 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Okay sorry to get off topic , new to the boards and not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I see that getting off topic is pretty easy to do.

I believe the original thread was Chicago not being desirable so again i do apologize.

Sorry posters- I also have a lot of friends in Michigan and just wanted to be optimistic.
That's OK. The decent people of that city can use all of the encouragement they can get. I was born and raised there and hope and pray for a revival. Lots of good people working hard to make it happen.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:19 AM

5,982 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Yes, I do hear a lot of people mention how clean Chicago is compared to other cities
and it certainly is in many areas in others it really needs cleaned up

Detroit has gotten a lot of bad press that is so true but in the end I strongly believe that city will rebound. They hit rock bottom but there are good people there to clean that area of the midwest up and make it sparkle again. Regionally the Midwest needs to band together

I realize its a little off post (sorry)
I frequent the Detroit forum, and have many times, defended Detroit on the Chicago forum. Here are the top reasons why I personally love Detroit, and in what way I think Detroit has a little edge over Chicago (even though others may not care about these things).

1. Motown. Its some of the best music of the 20th century. I don't think anyone can stress it enough. Detroit was so significant in the 60s musically, and Motown still has a strong influence today. I actually was recently at the Motown museum, and the tour was fantastic. Chicago was significant musically too during this era. I like the Blues and there certainly was soul, but it doesn't have the feel-good and even sexy feel like Motown. When I see urban decay in Detroit, all I can think of is a city that made music this great is something special.

2. Mansions/Grand houses in general. I think Detroit may have more historic mansions/grand houses within its city limits (although the Chicago railroad suburbs have lots) than Chicago. Again, when I look at mansions that look like mini-castles, it still "feels" wealthy. In the fantastic Midtown district, there is the Whitney house (a fancy restaurant), and the Hecker house (The Danish I believe). There is Boston-Edison. Although that neighborhood is surrounded by decay, there is Palmer Woods-Sherwood Forest around Livernois and 7 mile) is much more intact. Looks like River Forest or Beverly. Chicago does have Kenwood, Beverly, Sauganash, etc. But Chicago proper was always a bit denser, and heavier on the apartments through its history.

3. Midtown. Its just one huge neighborhood of arts and intellect. Obviously Chicago has far more museums, and institutions of higher education. But Midtown Detroit taken alone blows me away, with the Detroit Institute of Arts right next to the College of Creative Studies, with the International Institute, with lofts down Woodward with Arts supply stores and galleries, and the Museum of Contemporary Art next to the Science Center, across Woodward is the historical museum, all of Wayne State, African-American museum, etc. That concentration of cultural amenities all in one neighborhood is pretty cool. Although thats about it though within the city of Detroit.

4. Vibrant suburbs. Although Evanston, Oak Park/Forest Park, and even possibly Napercille have some good nightlife, I don't think they are quite on par with the festive-party atmosphere of Royal Oak. I love that town.

5. It seems to be that professional, upscale African American culture is more visible in a city like Detroit, even despite its poverty. (although considering that the city is 85% black, I guess its no suprise) The most promising areas of Detroit, downtown, Midtown, and the fancy-house/mansion neighborhoods are at least 1/2 black. Comparitively despite Chicago being 40% black, the most vibrant, fashionable hot spots (which Chicago has way more of) are very white. Atlanta and suburband Maryland I think lead the nation in upper middle class black culture. Chicago obviously has its areas, but they are a bit more "hidden (IE: Flossmoor-Olympia Fields).

5. Belle Isle. Detroit does not have anything like Chicagos lakefront, but there is something I love about an island park. It feels more secluded spot to gaze at a skyline, and therefore possibly more romantic. Northerly Island is almost an island. If the dug a canal, and you had to take a ferry, I suppose Chicago would have its island park.

I know this is a Chicago thread, but I thought I would just put it out there.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
I definitely agree with this part in regards to Metro Detroit. Royal Oak's nightlife is way better than anything in Chicagoland's suburbs. In a way, this might have arose out of necessity since their hub city (Detroit) lacks the quantity and quality of nightlife that cities such as Chicago have within its city limits.

Other Michigan towns with good nightlife that I recall from visits include Birmingham, Novi & Ann Arbor. There are other towns as well (maybe Dearborn, Plymouth, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post

4. Vibrant suburbs. Although Evanston, Oak Park/Forest Park, and even possibly Napercille have some good nightlife, I don't think they are quite on par with the festive-party atmosphere of Royal Oak. I love that town.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:35 PM

583 posts, read 884,731 times
Chicago used to be great, but the people who moved to the Chicago are or came of age there in the last 15 or 20 years have killed it. It doesn't feel like Chicago, anymore.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,786,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Chicago used to be great, but the people who moved to the Chicago are or came of age there in the last 15 or 20 years have killed it. It doesn't feel like Chicago, anymore.
What did Chicago feel like back then as oppose to how it feels today?

Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I frequent the Detroit forum, and have many times, defended Detroit on the Chicago forum. Here are the top reasons why I personally love Detroit, and in what way I think Detroit has a little edge over Chicago (even though others may not care about these things)...
Great post, Tex. Personally, I don't know Detroit well enough to "love" it... but your post made me want to go and visit, and take a close look at the positive things about Detroit that you mentioned. That's good writing. I bet you could be a tour guide or a travel writer if you wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago