Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 AM

76 posts, read 254,522 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys
Being from India, I have an Indian accent of speaking English
I have had no trouble people understanding me till now except few folks saying that I have an accent
Of course if you are from different country because of the linguistic background you would have an accent
But after this girl also told me the same, I think I should get the answer to few questions
1. Accent is related to the geography primarily (and also on weather, tongue structure). So an american person would speak different English compared to a Britisher and and Indian
A chinese person would speak in a totally different way
Is it possible to change your accent when you are in america to speak in american accent?
If that is done, would it take a long time and would it sound fake or sound not so natural? What do you guys recommend? Please suggest

2. Do any of you know any office/center in chicago where I can get to know if there are certain words or sounds I should correct to improve

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:41 AM

Why Do Indians Fake Accent? « ‘Blogtrotter’ (http://adecentlife.wordpress.com/2008/07/03/why-do-indians-fake-accent/ - broken link)

Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM

414 posts, read 884,817 times
Coming from a family who picked up English as a second language I have seen the most effective ways to overcome an accent, time and practice. Most people will never completely get rid of their accent. My mother's comes back whenever she is angry or excited. Most of the time, though, her accent is American, heck even Kansan . Also, you have to consider what American accent you want. There are northeastern, mid-western, southern and many more accents. Probably the most familiar is the accent used by most American news anchors. That accent is typically mid-western (excluding Chicago and the north mid-west).

Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the response
My question is if I try to change then I would be conscious whenever I speak?
Right?
If native Americans have been able to understand me for last one year, is it really worth an effort to change the accent?
Also, any places where I can ask the experts to comment on what needs to be changed or important sounds/words

Old 02-10-2009, 11:05 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Nvedia.......it may not be just the accent....when I read your written English....I "hear" your accent....your sentence structure and the order of your words....isn't idiomatic or conversational American English.

When you learned English were your instructors, American?, British? or Indians?

Please understand I am not being critical.....I haven't been able to learn another language and so I have great respect for you and your skill. I would suggest that you continue to take some courses in Conversational English and practice......yes it is possible to lessen your accent. But if you are usually able to make yourself understood....it may not be necessary....It doesnt matter that you speak with an Indian accent--you are from India after all! However, you also make errors in grammar and syntax....and that would be what I recommend you work to improve.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:06 AM

414 posts, read 884,817 times
Google "Chicago Speech Coach"

I saw several opportunities there.

If most people understand you it probably isn't that important IMO. Eventually your accent will become more like those around you. However, if you are interested in adapting your accent for professional reasons you should look into finding a coaching service.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:21 AM

Wow
Elston
I was always proud of my grammar!
Can you let me know the places above where you found my grammar went wrong?
I have read few american books and few Indian books (both in English) and yes I know what you mean by "sentence structure and order of words"
We express things differently. Not as natural as native speakers?

This is all I can think of

Hi Guys
Being from India, I have an Indian accent of speaking English ==should be => I have an Indian accent when I speak English???
I have had no trouble people understanding me till now except few folks saying that I have an accent
==should be => few folks telling me that I have an accent?

2. Do any of you know any office/center in chicago where I can get to know if there are certain words or sounds I should correct to improve
==should be =>
where I can improve my sounds and correct specific words

In either way, you did get me what I said in my first post. Right?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:40 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I had no trouble understanding your first post. And speaking and writing are very different.

This is how I would have written your first post.

Hello, I am from India and speak English with an accent. So far, I have not had trouble making myself understood, except for a few folks who say that I have an accent. (Of course anyone coming from a non English speaking country would have an accent.) However I was recently told by a girl that I had an accent and I think she meant it was hard to understand me.

That makes me think I should get the answer to few questions. I am wondering if my accent is inherent to my being Indian or is it something I can change. I wonder if accents are related to the country of origin and to the physiology of the people from that area and if so is it possible to lose your accent and speak like a native born American. If that is done, would it take a long time and would it sound fake or unnatural? What do you recommend? Please make suggestions."

Nvedia.....I dont think you need to worry about your accent. Accents are charming and need not be a barrier in anyway to being understood.....they are often part of a persons "personality". You are living in America now and so are emersed in spoken English....you will become more and more proficient in speaking; you have all the basics.

My partner is Japanese; he has lived in this country for more than 25 years....and he had studied English in Japan before moving to America. He still has an accent and at times his word choice is off just a little bit. Also at times he tries to use an American expression in his conversation and sometimes it fits and other times it sounds just a little bit "off". He does not have trouble making himself understood....but sometimes on the telephone I hear him having to repeat himself several times before the person on the other end of the call...."gets it". There are certain sounds he has trouble with....not because of the shape of his tongue or physiology...but because those particular sounds arent used in the Japanese language....for example R's and L's.

Last edited by elston; 02-10-2009 at 11:49 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 AM

There you go
you write or speak what you learn
Would you believe I heard the phrase "Hey, you have an accent" for the first time when I met my american friend in chicago

Old 02-10-2009, 12:09 PM

131 posts, read 356,330 times
Well, we all have accents. Yours is just an Indian accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago