Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Love Chicago... (lived there) somewhat love NY... never lived.

considering relocating... but kind of feel that NYC is more of a rat race and too expensive.

I was previously making around 50K in chicago and living quite nicely in my opinion...

After some looking into many posting on this forums and asking around with other people... NYC just seems like it might be too competitive for my tastes, too "just being there just to be in the spotlight"

And although NYC might offer a lot more than Chicago per se... it isn't worth it unless you can make serious big bucks in NYC as the lifestyle quality won't be comparable.

Do other people get this feeling?

Will Chicago still be affordable for the foreseeable future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

188 posts, read 477,490 times
Chicago will always be affordable because there wont be an influx of 6 million that will drive up the prices. So i wouldnt worry about that. I would agree with you that if you are making 50k you probably have a nice little apt or home. In NYC get ready to downgrade cause its gonna be way more expensive, at least just looking at craigslist.org postings

Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonra25 View Post
Chicago will always be affordable because there wont be an influx of 6 million that will drive up the prices. So i wouldnt worry about that. I would agree with you that if you are making 50k you probably have a nice little apt or home. In NYC get ready to downgrade cause its gonna be way more expensive, at least just looking at craigslist.org postings
Yeah definitely not living crazy rich or anything, and didn't have a car... but had a nice 1br in the south loop and walked to work. I had no real complaints with money and was still able to save a good amount.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:47 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah definitely not living crazy rich or anything, and didn't have a car... but had a nice 1br in the south loop and walked to work. I had no real complaints with money and was still able to save a good amount.
not having a car is a huge help imo. Im sure NYC is great and has things to offer that Chicago doesnt. However I could not see myself moving there unless Im making well into the 6 figures. I dont think you would be able to live the "NYC" life making 50-70k. Chicago is obviously much more expensive then alot of close suburbs but is not terribly overpriced...yet. Just like you said you can live a decent life making 50k

Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
not having a car is a huge help imo. Im sure NYC is great and has things to offer that Chicago doesnt. However I could not see myself moving there unless Im making well into the 6 figures. I dont think you would be able to live the "NYC" life making 50-70k. Chicago is obviously much more expensive then alot of close suburbs but is not terribly overpriced...yet. Just like you said you can live a decent life making 50k
I agree, and after some initial thoughts and excitement towards a possible move to nyc, the cost of food, rent, etc. there compared to what I'd probably make there just isn't the case... I suppose the way many might move there though is as you said, making well into 6 figures and just take a job landing in new york... I would think it would be very hard to start there for many coming out of college (esp as my gf is about to do when we go back)

We'll have joint income though when coming back, probably around (I'm guessing 60 for me, 40 for her) both still in our late 20s. With that I think we'll be able to live pretty comfortably.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,072,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hi all,

Love Chicago... (lived there) somewhat love NY... never lived.

considering relocating... but kind of feel that NYC is more of a rat race and too expensive.

I was previously making around 50K in chicago and living quite nicely in my opinion...

After some looking into many posting on this forums and asking around with other people... NYC just seems like it might be too competitive for my tastes, too "just being there just to be in the spotlight"

And although NYC might offer a lot more than Chicago per se... it isn't worth it unless you can make serious big bucks in NYC as the lifestyle quality won't be comparable.

Do other people get this feeling?

Will Chicago still be affordable for the foreseeable future?
I heard people can live in Queens that make $40,000/year. Also heard it's easy to also live in Brooklyn, NYC

Last edited by Jwo85; 02-25-2009 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 08:25 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
Bottom line is that you get so much more for your money in Chicago.

The end.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 PM

72 posts, read 150,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Bottom line is that you get so much more for your money in Chicago.

The end.
I'll second that.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,577,110 times
I would have to make more than twice as much as I do now to consider a move to New York. It's just too expensive.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,064,086 times
As my friend from NYC likes to say "Chicago, 90% of what NY has to offer at half the price".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago