Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 AM

35 posts, read 88,010 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.
I am moving to Chicago soon (late april to be exact).
I am gathering some informations about where I am going to live to start searching as soon as I get there. BUT I've faced a defficulty defining what are the well known good neighbourhoods ...
like every city in the world there are districts that are know by it's safety and higher quality of life.
I am not from the USA and I'm renting.
I really need a lead.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Read the very first topic.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:38 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Yea, not to be a wise guy but this question is very easy to answer if you spend 10 minutes on the board and scroll down the topics list.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:56 AM

I really did guys but I can't find a difinit ansewr. like Class A nieghbourhoods !!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drnasserj View Post
I really did guys but I can't find a difinit ansewr. like Class A nieghbourhoods !!
No..no you didnt.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 AM

328 posts, read 1,397,105 times
Default You've already asked a similar question

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnasserj View Post
Hi,

I know your not from America, but you have already asked the SAME question about living in the Loop. I think you are looking for someone on here to tell you EXACTLY where to live, and no one can do that. The reason? It's a completely subjective subject, based on our own personal preferences and likes and dislikes. Someone may rave about the Gold Coast, another may tell you to live in the South Loop, and someone may say Lincoln Square. There are a TON of neighborhoods in Chicago, each with it's own advantages and disadvantages, and all are subject to individual's opinion. The people on these messages boards come from all ages, economic status, race, and any other socioeconomic status you can think of.

If you REALLY want someone else to tell you where to live, why don't you go through an apartment location agency? Here are a few of them.

Chicago Apartment Finders, Home Page - Chicago Apartment Finders, Apartment Rental Chicago Il, Apartment Finder Chicago Il, Apartments In Downtown Chicago, Downtown Chicago Apartment, Rental Apartments Downtown Chicago
Apartment People, Chicago Apartments | The Apartment People
Chicago Apartment Search, Chicago Apartment Search | Find Chicago Apartments, Gold Coast, River North, Streeterville, Lakeshore East

And there are a ton more...just use Google to find them.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,198,352 times
In one of your postings, you mentioned proximity to groceries, parks, walkability, shopping, etc.

I would suggest you consider East Lakeview or eastern Lincoln Park neighborhoods (Lincoln Park is a neighborhood and also the name of a major park adjacent to the Lake). Both of these will offer you lots of groceries, shops, and the ability to walk into the park and beside the Lakefront on the trails/bikepaths. Plus, they both have lots of buses to downtown/Loop which take about 30 to 40 minutes during rush hour. Also the red line train is an option. Check out housing in zip codes 60657 and 60614 as a starting point. Also, do a mapquest and find the intersection of W Diversey and N Broadway. That is the epicenter and you could live 10 blocks north or south of that intersection and be close to the things you desire. The park is a few blocks east of that intersection.

You could also live in the South Loop and walk to work and the park. However, that is less of a "neighborhood feel" in my opinion.

Hope this helps you out. You will love Chicago in the summer

Old 03-27-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
No..no you didnt.
Excuse me !!!!

Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
Hi,

I know your not from America, but you have already asked the SAME question about living in the Loop. I think you are looking for someone on here to tell you EXACTLY where to live, and no one can do that. The reason? It's a completely subjective subject, based on our own personal preferences and likes and dislikes. Someone may rave about the Gold Coast, another may tell you to live in the South Loop, and someone may say Lincoln Square. There are a TON of neighborhoods in Chicago, each with it's own advantages and disadvantages, and all are subject to individual's opinion. The people on these messages boards come from all ages, economic status, race, and any other socioeconomic status you can think of.

If you REALLY want someone else to tell you where to live, why don't you go through an apartment location agency? Here are a few of them.

Chicago Apartment Finders, Home Page - Chicago Apartment Finders, Apartment Rental Chicago Il, Apartment Finder Chicago Il, Apartments In Downtown Chicago, Downtown Chicago Apartment, Rental Apartments Downtown Chicago
Apartment People, Chicago Apartments | The Apartment People
Chicago Apartment Search, Chicago Apartment Search | Find Chicago Apartments, Gold Coast, River North, Streeterville, Lakeshore East

And there are a ton more...just use Google to find them.
Hiii,
Actually I thought they are just tow different subjects as I asked about how long the searching usually takes and I wanted some more people to look at this qustion as it's important to me.
Thank you alot that really helped.
In fact I never used the internet to search for a flat or house. It's not that common in where I live. In addition to that I belive the USA system of building destribution is defferent as well like the zip code and the intersections.
I looked up in these sites you offered (really thanks) but the options are always like How many bedrooms, amentisis, location, price, type of housing but they dont have categorize like safety, availability of groceries, transportation, ect
Plus I never been to USA. So, I can't imagine how are the rules and things look like there. and I dont have a very good budget to spend during searching and exploring simple things that can be answered here.
Really thanks.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
In one of your postings, you mentioned proximity to groceries, parks, walkability, shopping, etc.

I would suggest you consider East Lakeview or eastern Lincoln Park neighborhoods (Lincoln Park is a neighborhood and also the name of a major park adjacent to the Lake). Both of these will offer you lots of groceries, shops, and the ability to walk into the park and beside the Lakefront on the trails/bikepaths. Plus, they both have lots of buses to downtown/Loop which take about 30 to 40 minutes during rush hour. Also the red line train is an option. Check out housing in zip codes 60657 and 60614 as a starting point. Also, do a mapquest and find the intersection of W Diversey and N Broadway. That is the epicenter and you could live 10 blocks north or south of that intersection and be close to the things you desire. The park is a few blocks east of that intersection.

You could also live in the South Loop and walk to work and the park. However, that is less of a "neighborhood feel" in my opinion.

Hope this helps you out. You will love Chicago in the summer
Soulful I really approciate your post.
This is exactly the type of information I need to know.
I like riding bikes, night life nearby, I like quite places with green, see view, safe places, places where I can joge, shops nearby and transportation which can take me in 15-20 min max to the loop (W Randolph st).

Do you live in either of these nieghbourhoods !

Can I ask tow more qustions please.

1. what dose the zip code mean exactly !! I mean what is the area covered under the specific zip code and how do I know that ?

2. how can I know the intersection ! I mean are there well known intersections in each niebourhood ?

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: