Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 16,971 times

Advertisements

I am a 24 year old female moving to the city in a couple of months. I don't know the area too well, but do know I need to live in Ravenswood or the Wicker Park area to be walking distance to the metra for work (FAR North.)

Which area would you recommend for a single girl who likes to bar hop occasionally, wants to be in an active area (but not too overwhelming) and wants to meet people.

It's been very difficult finding 1br in Wicker Park for around 900 near the metra. Is this possible, or should I just give up and live in Ravenswood?

I have heard that Wicker Park is a bit isolated because the L only travels down town and can't get you East.

I am a runner...Are either of these areas good/safe to run. I am also coming from Colorado, so trails, parks or a hint of nature is always a good thing.

Is Ravenswood too Family oriented? Can I walk to shops/restaurants/coffee shops?
Is it easy to get to the beach?

I know I have A LOT of question... but thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Well, that area near the Clybourn Metra stop isn't really the heart of Wicker Park. It's kinda on the fringe of Wicker Park and Bucktown, near the boring little big near the train tracks and river. It's not bad... but it's not really the vibrant heart of WP.

In Ravenswood, meanwhile, you're close to Lincoln Square, which is quite nice. I live in LS and walk or bike to the Ravenswood metra fairly easily, so someone such as yourself could live, say, close to Damen and Lawrence and walk fairly easily to either the Metra or the heart of Lincoln Square, and have a few bars and coffee shops right around you, to boot.

Still, while I'm a HUGE Ravenswood/LS proponent, you may be better off in Wicker Park, based on what you've described. I advise you to visit both. That's the only way to really know...

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Since you are a jogger I would go with Ravenswood. It is much safer to jog in the Ravenswood area than the Wicker Park area.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:20 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Since you are a jogger I would go with Ravenswood. It is much safer to jog in the Ravenswood area than the Wicker Park area.
Because of traffic?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Because of traffic?
Well A) because of Ravenswood Ave,Wells Park, the Admunsen High School Campus,etc...

You should know the B) C) and D)

Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,430,737 times
I can't sleep and I found the cutest house on dream town.com in Ravenswood and I wish I could move now so no one will take it away from me. I am a runner too and I need to be able to step our of my house and go for a run without being scared.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:46 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times
Ladies - carry a MACE gun and you'll be safe!

I'd live in Wicker Parker and use a bike like my Pacifc mtn bike to go to the Clyborn / Ashland Metra Stop.

This is my Shimano XT modded Pacific mtn bike with Jandd Commuter panniers setup for shopping and biking in drag! About $1100, and I hit 27.6 mph top speed on it flats no wind...
Attached Thumbnails
Living in Ravenswood vs. Wicker Park???-pacific-womens-shopping-bike.jpg  

Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well A) because of Ravenswood Ave,Wells Park, the Admunsen High School Campus,etc...

You should know the B) C) and D)
I've never felt in any danger jogging in Wicker Park, and unless I missed the Great Jogger Muggings of Aught Six , I can't say I've heard of anyone else feeling unsafe, either. I could see Ravenswood being more pleasant for jogging, along with easier access to the lake. I just don't see it as a safety issue.

Then again, if the OP moves near the Clybourn Metra, she could cross the river at Cortland, and would quickly be in Lincoln Park headed to the lakefront path. That might beat dodging urine puddles running through Uptown.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,430,737 times
um what are urine puddles?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
um what are urine puddles?
Well... do you know what a puddle is?

One of those, only yellower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago