Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 40,457 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're going to Chicago a Saturday and leaving Sunday morning - maybe as soon as this weekend. We're feeling kind of spontaneous. We have our 5yr old son with us.
My son loves trains so we will take the train in. He love animals. (Since it is cold, I have no interest in outdoor stuff to be cold. We don't like the cold.) We like shopping - clothes, good furniture. We are from a small town couple hrs from Chicago and don't have good clothing or furniture stores. We would like to see some good furniture stores. We like nice restaurants - seafood. Options, suggestions?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 PM

289 posts, read 896,924 times
Take your son to the Signature Room in the Hancock to get a good free view of the city. Then go to HUGO’S FROG BAR & FISH HOUSE .

Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmosBanks View Post
Take your son to the Signature Room in the Hancock to get a good free view of the city. Then go to HUGO’S FROG BAR & FISH HOUSE .
Neither of these places is a place for a child. Especially not a 5 year old.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisoui1 View Post
We are from a small town couple hrs from Chicago and don't have good clothing or furniture stores. We would like to see some good furniture stores.
Go to the Merchandise Mart.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 AM

11 posts, read 40,457 times
We have to make another trip for the Mart. I hear they are only open Monday to Friday, not weekends, which is a bummer.

Old 02-04-2011, 01:11 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Neither of these places is a place for a child. Especially not a 5 year old.
What's the problem in taking a child to the signature room?

Old 02-04-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
What's the problem in taking a child to the signature room?
I don't know about you, but if I am paying top dollar to eat and drink, the last thing in the world I want to put up with is a screaming kid or a kid trying to run around.

The Signature Room ain't The Ground Round or Chuck E. Cheese's.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I don't know about you, but if I am paying top dollar to eat and drink, the last thing in the world I want to put up with is a screaming kid or a kid trying to run around.

The Signature Room ain't The Ground Round or Chuck E. Cheese's.
Top dollar for dinner maybe, but the lunch prices are definitely not expensive. Not to mention, he said his son was five. I'm sure he'll be more than manageable. The Signature Room is a great option for a weekend lunch if you'd like to get a good view of the city as well.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Top dollar for dinner maybe, but the lunch prices are definitely not expensive. Not to mention, he said his son was five. I'm sure he'll be more than manageable. The Signature Room is a great option for a weekend lunch if you'd like to get a good view of the city as well.
The cheapest salad at lunch is $8. The cheapest entree is $13. A turkey sandwich is $10. A family of three could easily spend $100 for lunch. I don't call those prices cheap.

http://www.signatureroom.com/Cuisine/Lunch/

Although the Saturday buffet prices are decent. ($11 for 12 and under. $20 for adults.) That would be the route I would go with.

Anyway, now that I saw this post, something tells me the OP probably will not be concerned with prices :

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisoui1 View Post
Hi,
I would like to buy a shearling coat to help battle the cold here. Any recommendations for good places to check out to buy one? I went to Andrianna's on Michigan Ave but they didn't have my size.
Thanks so much.

How many 5 year olds do you know that will stay in their seat and keep their mouth shut? Have you ever seen a kindergarten class?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
The cheapest salad at lunch is $8. The cheapest entree is $13. A turkey sandwich is $10. I don't call those prices cheap.

How many 5 year olds do you know that will stay in their seat and keep their mouth shut? Have you ever seen a kindergarten class?
I didn't say cheap, I said not expensive. In my opinion, those prices are more than rational for the free (and amazing) view in addition to the overall atmosphere of the place. You're going to spend the same amount going to any chain restaurant located in the city, why not take it up a notch. Not to mention, there's a big difference in a kindergarten class and five year old dining with his parents. Either way, it's up to the OP to decide whether or not his child is fit for public dining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: