Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 31,129 times

Advertisements

Looking on relocating from Arizona to Chicago area. Went to home tours in Pullman and loved it. My question is any comments of the area. I lived in St. Louis years ago and worked down town but drove. Any tips on commuting by train? I may also have kids on my ? I am not a city girl but do plan on working down town. Any ideas on what a commute is like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 03:29 PM

16 posts, read 92,930 times
Pullman, while a great deal, is about as far as you can get from downtown and still be in the city. The commute isn't that bad but the area is also sort of dangerous after dark and there is a definite lack of restaurants and the like for being in the city. Really amazing history though. I would look at different areas on the south side if you are going to have kids.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:56 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
Well, it is a very close knit community, with active and involved residents who care about maintaining it. There are some beautiful homes there, and you can walk to the Metra Electric and get downtown quickly with the relatively frequent service on that line. On the other hand, the historic district is very small in terms of geographic size, and there is almost no dining, shopping or other amenities in the area. It is also surrounded by some very dangerous neighborhoods, which are not even close to making a comeback. So, you'll have a nice home, good neighbors, and good transportation, but you'll be isolated in an island of several square blocks, surrounded by poverty, crime and vacant lots and empty storefronts.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 31,129 times
Thank you for your replies to my question. Do you have any suggestions on other area that might be sutiable yet no break the bank?

Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaaren View Post
Thank you for your replies to my question. Do you have any suggestions on other area that might be sutiable yet no break the bank?
If you already have kids and love the neighborhood but are looking for something with a few more amenities, then take a look at nearby Blue Island. Very similar. in architecture with an added bonus of plenty of nightlife, great restaurants, (public schools are so so)

Old 05-04-2007, 01:13 PM

16 posts, read 92,930 times
If you're looking to buy and want to stay in the same area I have a lot of friends who grew up in Hegewisch and that areas seems to be a bit more happening than Pullman. Beverly and Mount Greenwood are also nice but considerably pricier and public transit isn't as good in my opinion.

Other areas of the city you might want to look at are the Southwest side and West sides although anywhere that seems to be a good deal either gets expensive really quick or is blighted / run down. I enjoy most of the neighborhoods that are along the Orange Line train (Bridgeport, McKinley Park, Brighton Park, Gage Park, etc.) but the areas are shooting up in price like crazy (Bridgeport is very expensive, McKinley and Brighton seem to be on a steady rise). I really enjoy Garfield Park but like Pullman, you're usually living in pockets of nice, community-driven areas surrounded by depressed and crime-ridden areas. The difference is that you're minutes from downtown by either the train or driving and as well as anything you would normally want from the city (restaurants, bars/clubs, stores, etc). Homes aren't AS cheap but out of all of the places I have mentioned this is probably where you will find the best deal.

If you can describe more of what you're looking for and trying to get out of where you live I could probably give you better suggestions. Particularly, do you want to have a car, are you wanting to rent or buy, how far away are you willing to live from a supermarket, what do you need in walking distance, what kind of area do you live in now? I am have a strong belief there is a neighborhood for almost anyone here, the city is gigantic!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:01 PM

44 posts, read 150,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Well, it is a very close knit community, with active and involved residents who care about maintaining it. There are some beautiful homes there, and you can walk to the Metra Electric and get downtown quickly with the relatively frequent service on that line. On the other hand, the historic district is very small in terms of geographic size, and there is almost no dining, shopping or other amenities in the area. It is also surrounded by some very dangerous neighborhoods, which are not even close to making a comeback. So, you'll have a nice home, good neighbors, and good transportation, but you'll be isolated in an island of several square blocks, surrounded by poverty, crime and vacant lots and empty storefronts.
Pullman doe's have 3 good buffer zone's

North- Nothing too dangerous Immediately north of the "Pullman Historical District" correct me if I'm wrong
East- The Expressway
South- Vacant Paint & Pullman Factory
West Of Cottage Grove ???
How Bad is the Roseland/Rosemoor Area?
That's what i want to know

However Pullman Sounds like a winner Because of the Quality Houses for reasonable prices(by Chicago standards) plus expressway & metra line Options

Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times
Roseland/Rosemoor gets a D+ at best, and that's by south side standards.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times
The gentry don't exactly live north of Pullman either. It's hit or miss. I have some experience on the 80's blocks around Ellis (good friend lived there and hated it -- and he is a pretty tough looking black dude). A lot of the streets do look totally fine, but I would give it much more than a C.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 PM

106 posts, read 267,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QOESTE View Post

However Pullman Sounds like a winner Because of the Quality Houses for reasonable prices(by Chicago standards) plus expressway & metra line Options
I would just warn anyone I know not to move in that neighborhood. The way that the market is right now I can tell you of plenty home on the west side connecting to Oak Park that are going for 150K and less. All around the M&M factory is a beautiful and SAFE area. Pullman can't compete. I rented in pullman and only lasted 7 months...I ran from the area. It's seems nice but it's like this block good that block bad, good, bad, bad. I was sitting with my nephew when bullets hit the house one was stuck in the book case in the room right next to us....I have member than have lived in Chicago near the Galewood (60639,60634) areas and never had a story such as this. Pub. Trans is a lot better near Galewood also. My opinion. People have their own levels of tolerance. I have none for Gun shots where I lay my children down. And yes, I do still communicate with a few people on my old block and yes, you never know when but shots are heard at least once a month. And trust the home was absolutely beautiful and Spacious and cheap.....But you need to realize why it is soo much for soo little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago