Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 AM

725 posts, read 1,850,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Crotch rocket" is not a sexual reference. It's a reference to a specific type of motorcycle, particularly those that are basically very fast, very nimble essentially street-legal racing motorcycles, that the rider literally straddles between his OR HER crotch. Hence "crotch rocket."

You also make the logical fallacy of associating everyone who has one of these bikes with those who ride them like complete idiots. And there are a lot more women riding these things than you might think as well. So yes, the old "compensation" canard is trite, hackneyed, hoary, pop-psychology nonsense.
Oh, puh-lease. Any moron who feels the need to go 200 mph down LSD with no helmet, weaving in between cars and putting everyone else on the road in danger obviously is overloaded on testosterone. Ftr, I wasn't putting down everyone who owns a "muscle bike", in fact - I love motorcycles and even learned how to drive one. I am putting down the nut cases who put others in danger by driving like maniacs. Fwiw, I have NEVER seen a woman on a motorcylce driving like this. I am not saying it couldn't happen, but it definitely seems to be testosterone-related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 10:24 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
I have seen many woman riding on the back of a motorcycle going at a ridiculous speed. They seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:44 AM

569 posts, read 1,820,452 times
Some years back a guy actually got caught doing 120-130mph on LSD and he became a local overnight celebrity. He even sold his bike on ebay for a profit. I believe it wasn't anything super powerful, maybe a Honda CBR600 F4I.

I'm familiar with these guys. My roommate used to have a 1000cc Yamaha R1. Simply put, the guys that ride at excessive speeds, in traffic, doing wheelies, standing crosses are ADRENALINE JUNKIES.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I have seen many woman riding on the back of a motorcycle going at a ridiculous speed. They seemed to be enjoying themselves.
No one said stupid women don't exist. There are plenty of ditsy women out there who are turned on by the crotch-rocket type guy. Man oh man. You guys seem to be taking this quite personally!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:19 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Riding fast and being a squid are two different things. The bikes are built to go fast and the speed becomes a habit. The second you twist the throttle your focus becomes unbelievablly intense and it's hard to get out of that state of mind.
Popping wheelies on unfamilair roads is...just dumb.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:34 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,927,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
No one said stupid women don't exist. There are plenty of ditsy women out there who are turned on by the crotch-rocket type guy. Man oh man. You guys seem to be taking this quite personally!
My post made it seem as though im taking it personally? Seriously?

Considering i've never ridden anything on two wheels more powerful than a Vespa I find that interesting.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:22 PM

569 posts, read 1,820,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Riding fast and being a squid are two different things. The bikes are built to go fast and the speed becomes a habit. The second you twist the throttle your focus becomes unbelievablly intense and it's hard to get out of that state of mind.
Popping wheelies on unfamilair roads is...just dumb.
Nice description of "the zone." It has the addictive quality of a hard core narcotic where people will risk life and limb to achieve it. I used to drag race cars when I was younger, I'd imagine the feeling is much more intense for a rice rocket.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
My post made it seem as though im taking it personally? Seriously?

Considering i've never ridden anything on two wheels more powerful than a Vespa I find that interesting.
Just surprised how the guys on this thread jump to the defense because I made a crack about small penises. I have seen the "crew" on city-data be pretty critical and damning of this sort of behavior, yet one "small penis" comment about guys who drive like maniacs and they are up in arms. Just saying.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Just surprised how the guys on this thread jump to the defense because I made a crack about small penises. I have seen the "crew" on city-data be pretty critical and damning of this sort of behavior, yet one "small penis" comment about guys who drive like maniacs and they are up in arms. Just saying.
It's because you said it about everyone who has a fast motorcycle, notwithstanding your subsequent backpedaling. Not to mention that stupid bit of pop psychology is worn really, really thin.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:49 PM

968 posts, read 2,666,783 times
He was a celebrity all right ..I believe he had his bike impounded for a while, and he had to spend time in Cook County Jail for that little escapade, if I recall correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago