Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:08 AM

393 posts, read 1,217,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Sadly, it closed last year. It had been a large part of my family's life down through the years. Very sad.
Yeah, that is sad, the place was interesting inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 AM

15 posts, read 44,277 times
We had our wedding reception at the Chicago Historical Society (now Chicago History museum). They have since reomdeled it, but it is still a great location. We also considered venues like the Chicago Cultural Center, Harold Washington Library, the Symphony Center, Cafe Brauer, etc, and didn't want a hotel wedding. None of these places come cheap. The booking price typically only covers getting you into the space, and sometimes some standard tables and chairs. Anything beyond that has to be arranged and paid for separately (catering, table linens, etc). One of the many advantages to getting married in your mid to late 30s (for us anyway) is that we could actually afford it.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:34 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,077,914 times
Ida Noyes at the University of Chicago. Beautiful building, great area, reasonably priced.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM

725 posts, read 1,850,165 times
Did you see the RedEye newspaper today? The main story is about your op.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
If you want a reception on the real cheap and plain do it at a park district field house or a VFW hall.
Spoken like a guy (though I'm still not sure if you are a guy)... Not sure if these would qualify as "nice" IMO (though they are affordable)...

A friend of mine had a wedding at the Newberry Library awhile back. It was nice and I think affordable. Price highly depends on the catering/bar/entertainment options you choose. There may also be "non-primetime" discounts (e.g. Sunday evening) as well...

Old 06-10-2009, 12:59 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
If you want something outdoors and aren't having an enormous wedding, I remember from my own planning that there were some spots for ceremonies at Millenium Park that were reasonable (such as the Wrigley Fountain). We ended up going to Mexico instead, but the original plan was to do the ceremony and photos at the park and then do a reception at a restaurant. However, if you want a traditional reception with dancing, etc. then a restaurant won't really work or you'll have to reserve a larger private room ($$$).

The park district also has some buildings/areas along the lake (I remember one on the southside near Science & Industry possibly??). These can be rented for pretty cheap, if you spend some time & money on decor they could be gorgeous! If you go this route though, remember you will have to rent everything (tables, linens, etc.) that normally would be included in a hotel-type wedding.

A New Leaf has a REALLY cool space, again it's pretty plain but can be dressed up in whatever style you prefer. They're in a nice area by Lincoln Park which would make for good photos too.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:21 PM

264 posts, read 716,945 times
thanks everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago