Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:03 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Maybe when your in the Chicago sub-forum, you should know what your talking about before you post, it will make you look less ignorant
Yes yes, that line is very original and it clearly proves your superiority in this argument. The only thing less original than your words is my having to point out that your incorrect usage of the word "your".

You're. You are. You're.

As in: You're going on ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 06:04 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I do: Sitting on the Kennedy and watching the CTA rumble overhead without any traffic to slow it down. And then wondering why freeways were ever considered to be a superior form of transportation.
absolutely.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I dont know of many things worse in life than sitting on the Kennedy or Edens at 5:00 on a weekday.
The north part of I-285 at 5 on a weekday. Try it!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:47 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
Quote:
If you don't know how to use Chicago's freeways, then yes, I suppose you would consider them congested. But Chicago has multi-level freeways, public transit and a tight grid system. If you can't avoid traffic in that, you're either a tourist or a suburbanite.

Quote:
Your assumption is presumptuous and incorrect.

As for multilevel streets and freeways, check it out on Wikipedia. Wacker Drive is the first thing that comes to my mind. I think Colombus Drive has 3 levels at certain points.

Freeways, highways, drives... It's a "way" of some kind. For future reference, when speaking on a very large public forum such as this, it's typically polite to refer to things outside of provincial terms-- you look less ignorant and it helps others not from the area to gain a better approximation of what you're trying to say.
I wasn't a tourist or suburbanite, yet I couldn't avoid traffic those years when I commuted from Irving Park/LSD to my job in Hoffman Estates and back. If only I'd known about using multilevel streets like Wacker and Columbus Drives -- two streets serving only downtown which was totally out of my way -- I could've saved myself a lot of headaches!

Last edited by andrew61; 07-11-2009 at 09:56 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 01:28 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Well the things about articles like this are you have to stop and think about it the reality of the cities in question.

Chicago area delivers 2,000,000 public transit trips per day.....LA doesn't.

This article is comparing people who commute by car compared to the capacity of that system. It's kinda apples to oranges if you look at the urban area as WHOLE though. Sure Chicago might have horrible traffic, but it also has hundreds of thousands of people using rail that isn't present in LA.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 AM

58 posts, read 170,111 times
Ick. I don't think our state has money to really fix this problem so visiting Chicago will take an extra hour. It's hard to believe traffic will be worse than L.A. though.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:01 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I will tell you how bad it is here in Atlanta. If you work in Midtown or Buckhead and you get a one hour lunch, you don't dare leave the office unless you can walk somewhere to eat because the traffic is so horrible that it will take all your hour just to get 3 or 4 blocks and back.
We live in the west suburbs and I have a nieghbour who actually QUIT her job which is 22 miles away because she got tired of the 2 hour commutes each way. The city and the freeways are virtually in gridlock from 7 to 9 and from 5 to 7 everyday. The rest of the time things are just merely bad.
In Chicago you can ride the CTA or METRA. We have a subway too but it does not go as many places.
I tell you you are definitely onpoint on this one. I live in Chicago now and have been between Chicago and Ohio for a while. I lived in Atlanta for a while as well. I've driven in Atlanta, Chicago, New York and DC. In my opinion Chicago congestion doesnt even come close to those three places. I always can find a way to zip around the Dan Ryan and now Ive been riding the Metra and CTA alot. In Atlanta, I got tired of riding Marta, it literally got me nowhere and it took forever to get to where I needed to go. Driving in Atlanta during rush hour is nerve wrecking. Cars literally sit for hours in all directions. The only way I can get around I-75 from Midtown is to go through Bankhead and hope my car doesnt stop and take that all the way to 285, which is always backed up as well. The Beltway in DC is the same way. New York and Chicago on the other hand I can always hop on the train. CTA and the subways in New York can take me alot further than the Marta and Metro trains in Atlanta and DC.

By the way heres a link to the list of cities with the best drivers. I found it very interesting.

Allstate Newsroom - News Release Archives - Fifth Annual "Allstate America's Best Drivers Reportâ„¢" Reveals Which Cities Have the Safest Drivers (http://www.allstatenewsroom.com/releases/4529-fifth-annual-allstate-america - broken link)

heres another link.

Was your city named in Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report(TM)? Announced*-*Community Events

Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 PM

48 posts, read 188,513 times
Living in LA and a Chicago native LA is WORSE than Chicago. The subways serve only a small portion of commuters and the overall system does not connect without taking triple the amount of commuting time. Angelenos still love their cars and it is a battle to switch them to public transit -- it is a mindset. I have been in the Kennedy/Ike and Dan Ryan at 5pm and it is awful however there are Metra and CTA trains as options which do not exist on the same level in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago