Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 PM

12 posts, read 52,733 times

Advertisements

Ok. So a little bit about me. I'm a female 23 year old and I'm an art student. Right now I live in Edgewater. Close to N. Sheridan and Foster. I've only been in Chicago for two years so I dont know the neighborhoods that well. I guess this location is decent. I've never really had any problems. Anyway, I want to move to a different location, but I have no idea what would be best for me. I'm looking to pay around $650ish for rent. I was thinking of moving a little west, but everyone says its so bad. I found an apartment at Foster and Pulaski. Is that area safe for me living alone? Thanks for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
What appeals to you out there? When I think Albany Park I don't think "art student".

That is not a particularly rough area, but neither does it seem like some place you would have much to do...

Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 AM

Well I have friends who live out that way. I'm kind of tired of having to be on the train or bus for an hour or longer just to hang out with them. Lol. I also want to live in a completely new area. I've lived in the same place for two years and before that I lived downtown. I've always been right by the lake. I guess I just need a change. :-)

Old 07-11-2009, 06:26 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
You can move west and there are areas that are not bad. What about places like Roscoe Village, Southport Corridor, Portage Park, Lincoln Square or Old Irving Park? They are all west of where you are. Why not explore other neighborhoods and see what you think.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:58 PM

So I found this cute little apartment a block away from Fullerton and Pulaski. The area seems to be ok. Nothing special, but I'm closer to my friends that way. Anyway, what do you think about that area?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:18 PM

93 posts, read 443,932 times
What other stuff do you like to do in the city? That's pretty far west and off the EL lines (tho close to the Metra). Do you frequent downtown or the lake? You'll be a good distance from either in that case.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM

I do go downtown and to the beach, but normally I'm always with someone who has a car. The reason I like that location is because 1) I'm a little west of where I live now. and 2) The Pulaski bus is 24/7 and so is the Belmont bus. I wouldnt have to worry about transportation that much.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 PM

35 posts, read 106,907 times
anything west of where you are is pretty safe. nothing rough. i think the people warning you about moving west are perhaps thinking you mean the west side of chicago.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie Baby7 View Post
So I found this cute little apartment a block away from Fullerton and Pulaski. The area seems to be ok. Nothing special, but I'm closer to my friends that way. Anyway, what do you think about that area?
I would not recommend that area at all. There are too many gangs over there. You are also too close to Humboldt Park and Austin for comfort.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:35 AM

48 posts, read 131,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephie Baby7 View Post
I do go downtown and to the beach, but normally I'm always with someone who has a car. The reason I like that location is because 1) I'm a little west of where I live now. and 2) The Pulaski bus is 24/7 and so is the Belmont bus. I wouldnt have to worry about transportation that much.
I work over in Albany Park. I would favor a location further north along Pulaski, e.g., between Foster and Lawrence, but not right on either.

If you can pay $200 more a month your options would really open up.

But, really, Edgewater is awesome. The grass may not be greener on the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago