Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,195,890 times

Advertisements

Fine, then I won't tell you to head up to boystown if you want to visit a bar without being hit on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 08:38 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,456,633 times
As a woman: I like The Whistler when I want a stiff and well made drink. I go to Dark Room or Cleo's on Chicago when I want a "younger" crowd. My current favorite bar is Dannys on Dickens, but it depends on the night. The DJs there spin wonderful and eclectic music. Village Tap is always nice for a more relaxed neighborhood joint.

This place has a certain unexplainable je ne sais quoi. It is never busy but always memorable. Dragonlady Lounge - Avondale - Chicago, IL

Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 PM

549 posts, read 1,562,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingchic View Post
I am a 27 year old female taking a solo vacation to Chicago this Friday! I have looked at so many websites about where to go and what to see! Where is the best view...Hancock observatory..or Sears Tower? Is the Buckingham fountain best late at night? But more than that...clubs pubs or bars that a single girl can get a drink and hangout with no problems and minimal meat market guys and scantily glad girls. What is something to see that no book would say? Thanks!
The Hancock observatory is the better view. The Sears Tower has the glass deck, which is cool, but you have to undergo this long video and the lines. The Hancock has a very nice bar on the 95th floor (the Signature Lounge) where you can get a drink and hang out, as well, and it tends to be a classy place. So that's a way to kill two birds with one stone.

The Buckingham is nice at night because they play music, but I'd actually hang out near Millenium Park instead - more crowds, music, more of a "scene."

After that, I run into a problem giving you recommendations, as while I was single in Chicago I tended to be a meat market kind of guy who enjoyed staring at scantily clad girls. And if you decide you want that, I'd highly recommend Martini Park.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,227,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^What's early for that bar? There's a line of desperate looking hipsters standing out there waiting to get in by 8:30.
I'd say 7:30 would be OK on a Friday or Saturday, 8 on other nights. They have a kinda silly image thing going on and they make you wait for 5 minutes even when there is no wait. Once you get in they drop the attitude and the staff is great.

Whistler is another great suggestion - they have DJs or bands starting around 9, and sometimes performance art things earlier in the evening. If you're into that it is cheaper than Violet Hour and the bartenders are just as helpful until it gets busy. Lately it seems like the wait at the Whistler can be just as bad as Violet Hour.

The Whistler and Violet Hour are both great cocktail places, so they're geared towards people looking to try some new drinks (and not a pick up scene). The better beer bars are somewhat the same - just more pub like. Hopleaf, Quencher's, and Map Room are good on that front (tho' I have seem some weird pick up stuff at Map Room on occasion, but nothing too bad). There are also loads of good neighborhood places that are very laid back - Village Tap is a good example. Lincoln Tavern (Tavern NOT Tap) could be good, or you could watch a Sox game at the Bob Inn.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,688,966 times
How long will you be here for?

Old 08-19-2009, 01:52 PM

7 posts, read 34,687 times
This has all be SOOO helpful! Thank you very much everyone for you putting in the time to write such informative notes!! I will be there from Friday afternoon until Monday night. Should I ride the EL, or take Taxis, or bus? What is the best idea for price and time??

Old 08-19-2009, 01:55 PM

So, boys town in where....incase I feel inclined! lol

Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM

367 posts, read 920,143 times
Quote:
So, boys town in where....incase I feel inclined! lol

Boystown, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-19-2009, 02:10 PM

HAHAHAHAH! Wrong kinda "boys" for me...lol. Thank you!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,126,507 times
Quote:
This has all be SOOO helpful! Thank you very much everyone for you putting in the time to write such informative notes!! I will be there from Friday afternoon until Monday night. Should I ride the EL, or take Taxis, or bus? What is the best idea for price and time??
Not to be too obvious, but depends on where you're going. If your destination is close to an el line, by all means take the el. Most Chicagoans take the red, blue, and brown lines to access nightlife destinations, although you might consider taking a cab on the way home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: