Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 11:45 AM

121 posts, read 322,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Aaah, I was wondering. I've never encountered a profession more determined to be thick skulled in what they insist to be the truth than engineers.
Ah, classic coldwine. An attack on an entire profession of people. You are a very sad creature, it must be very lonely in your world.

Quote:
Let's now move this forward a few considerations:
1. You are not a business person of executive level
2. Inflation. Close the math book and build a bridge another time. Today I'd like you to learn about "inflation".
1. You really don't have an idea of whether I'm at the executive level or not. There are engineers at all level of the hierarchy. Larger engineering companies have executive tracks for people who want to be purely technical or more general management tracks for those that want to do that.
2. Your second comment made no sense. More "ha you're an engineer" jokes? It's a little sad you don't even know enough about what an engineer does...building bridges? Sorry, but that's for construction workers. Designing bridges, sorry, that's an architect. You really have no clue, just more of you talking about things you don't understand.

Quote:
You are indeed cheap. But also ignorant, and I suppose considering your profession I can't expect you to know any better about proper etiquette. I feel that I owe you an apology; I was asking an idea to climb a glass wall.
More attacks on an entire profession. Sad. The funny thing is that you are an accountant. Exciting career there!

Quote:
But I'm going to do so anyways, just because of my "tiny little head". Because as several industry people have pointed out to you, including posters here who profess the same, you are in the minority. You clearly don't understand building relationships with others, or why networking (yes, even amongst the peons who bring your bread) is so important. But this is the world I live in.
What a complete joke. Networking with the waiter? Just how small is your world that you consider this an important part of your life?

Quote:
Whether or not you like it, the habits of my world-- much larger than yours-- dictate going above and beyond what is usually expected to curry favor with people who can make your life that much easier.
Quote:
Outside of America this is simply expected, and in many countries in the world restaurant seating is an understated measurement of social status.
Except when I was in Europe, we didn't tip more than a few bucks because they are paid standard wages. Tipping in Asia is also nothing like it is here. You're a joke. Just stop talking. You're just making **** up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:07 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,376,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Aaah, I was wondering. I've never encountered a profession more determined to be thick skulled in what they insist to be the truth than engineers.
As someone in the "thick-skulled" engineering profession, I believe the type of "know-it-all" behavior that you describe may be more common in the legal profession....

Old 08-07-2009, 12:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
15-20% tips are considered "standard" pretty much everywhere in America--though most people in Chicago tend to push closer to the 20%. If you have a large party at a restaurant, the house may add the gratuity to your bill, and they usually go with 18%. Anything over 20% is usually considered exceptional. If you blow $500 at Charlie Trotters with the twelve course meal and wine pairings for two and want to leave more than $100 for your waiter, you are more generous than I.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,665 times
wow, now u r making me want to be a waiter at Charlie Trotters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
15-20% tips are considered "standard" pretty much everywhere in America--though most people in Chicago tend to push closer to the 20%. If you have a large party at a restaurant, the house may add the gratuity to your bill, and they usually go with 18%. Anything over 20% is usually considered exceptional. If you blow $500 at Charlie Trotters with the twelve course meal and wine pairings for two and want to leave more than $100 for your waiter, you are more generous than I.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
If you blow $500 at Charlie Trotters with the twelve course meal and wine pairings for two and want to leave more than $100 for your waiter, you are more generous than I.
But then you won't "get to know" the waiter! How will you ever succeed in business?!?!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
wow, now u r making me want to be a waiter at Charlie Trotters
Go for it. They don't hire just anyone, however. You will need to know how to add many adjectives to the names of seemingly common foods, like "Crawford Farm Michigan Cherries" and "Cold-Poached Antiguan Pears". You will need some very nice suits as well. And you need to speak like an NPR host or have an exotic foreign accent of some sort.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:38 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
But then you won't "get to know" the waiter! How will you ever succeed in business?!?!
My work uses a few resturants to take out clients to lunch/dinner and we always tip 25-30%. I found out Friday afternoon that I had a customer in town and needed to dinner that night. I mentioned my companies name while I called and they gave us a table. I could pretty much garuntee that we wouldnt be able to get a table if we didnt take care of everyone there.
If I frequently go to a place I like I would tip more. They remember faces and how much you take care of them and they will do the same in return.
Thats what Coldwine is talking about.
I dont have much of a bankroll these days so I dont have to worry about that anymore

Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 PM

I understand the words coming out of her mouth, I just don't agree with them. Most of her comments have been complete bull****.

People believe they need to tip extravagantly because the tip entitlement mentality is ingrained in us from day one - everyone is always looking for a handout. Most people are deluded into thinking they won't get good service or can't possibly get a table at the last minute. This just isn't the case in my experience. I go out most nights a week - either with the wife or colleagues. I never have problems with getting a table. And my service is always fine.

When I was based out of DC I would go out with clients out all the time. Getting a table was also never an issue. The restaurant industry has massively overbuilt - especially at the high end. Could it have benefited me once or twice? Sure, but I'm not that worried about it. It's easy enough to go to the fine italian restaurant down the street.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:30 PM

838 posts, read 3,096,665 times
I guess I can don my Brioni suit. nice enough for ya?

Quote:
Go for it. They don't hire just anyone, however. You will need to know how to add many adjectives to the names of seemingly common foods, like "Crawford Farm Michigan Cherries" and "Cold-Poached Antiguan Pears". You will need some very nice suits as well. And you need to speak like an NPR host or have an exotic foreign accent of some sort.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
I guess I can don my Brioni suit. nice enough for ya?
Most excellent choice in brand, sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago