Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,641 times

Advertisements

Remind me to never give a massage to Avengerfire... WOW people like you are one of the reasons that some LMT's get fined thousands of dollars or get their license revoked, its a code of ethics and professionalism... you as a client should follow them just as much as the therapist should.

As for tipping, 15% is seen as the minimum unless of course it was absolutely lousy... then not only is critiscism expected but also a low tip or no tip is deserved! A smart therapist knows when she/he's done a bad job... not only are you not walking out with the glazed over eyes and relaxed jello-y body but you are quick to get dressed and leave without a sincere thankyou... when weve done a good job, its obvious to us!! It is similar as to eating out at a restaurant... 15% minimum, anything better is of course encouraged and gladly accepted for a job well done. Many times the LMT's that work at the spas work on a 50/50 split therefore they only get 50% of the initial massage fee and then they get 100% tips. As for the chiroprators/doctors offices, most of them work on an hourly basis (which isnt nearly 20% of what the doctor is charging the insurance company for to treat you)... but just as you wouldnt tip your doctor, you shouldnt tip your LMT in this situation, I know that they are usually told that they are not allowed to accept tips when working in the chiropratic/doctor side of massage.

Pricing varies from area to area, spa to spa, anything to everything... Different types of massages also will cost different prices. The only thing that should be cutting into your actual 1 hr massage is the time it takes for the therapist to introduce themselves, go over your medical history and problems and then for you to disrobe and get ready... after that your therapist's hands should not leave your body until your full hour is up! So in a way it is a 55 min massage if it takes you 5 minutes to get ready and get on the table... but otherwise I would speak with your therapist and let him/her know that you noticed they stop 5 minutes early and ask for the reason... they very well might just tell you that its to allow enough time for you to get dressed and leave if their next massage is booked on every hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
Remind me to never give a massage to Avengerfire... WOW people like you are one of the reasons that some LMT's get fined thousands of dollars or get their license revoked, its a code of ethics and professionalism... you as a client should follow them just as much as the therapist should...
Are you kidding me?

Since when has a woman gotten her license revoked for showing a bit of cleavage? If anything showing cleavage helps SOME women get their license or graduate from school to begin with.

There are a certain percentage of professional women (like lawyers and especially secretaries) that show cleavage and/or a lot of leg about EVERY DAY. Do they get their licenses or certifications revoked or fired just because of that? I think not.

Btw-The happy ending statement was pretty much a joke.

Other than your unnecessary attack on me your post was pretty good.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:57 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,663,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Are you kidding me?

Since when has a woman gotten her license revoked for showing a bit of cleavage? If anything showing cleavage helps SOME women get their license or graduate from school to begin with.

There are a certain percentage of professional women (like lawyers and especially secretaries) that show cleavage and/or a lot of leg about EVERY DAY. Do they get their licenses or certifications revoked or fired just because of that? I think not.

Other than your unnecessary attack on me your post was pretty good.
Perhaps her 'attack' on you was to imply that your post came across the internet in such a way as to offend her. In fact, it may have appeared to many women to be chauvinistic, disgusting, affirmative of many negative thoughts women already have about men or simply perverse and unwelcome in modern society.

These are simply suggestions, you understand.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:53 PM

121 posts, read 322,950 times
Quote:
Pretty much indeed

And I'm not sure why people are so offended. It's a service, nothing more.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
I doubt Avengefire tips. I'm sure he gives her the whole thing.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Perhaps her 'attack' on you was to imply that your post came across the internet in such a way as to offend her. In fact, it may have appeared to many women to be chauvinistic, disgusting, affirmative of many negative thoughts women already have about men or simply perverse and unwelcome in modern society.

These are simply suggestions, you understand.
This would be correct... maybe to make him feel better though I should have added a

Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Tips are also how you get to know people. Large tips are how you secure tables at the lunch rush at high end establishments. It's how you walk past the line at clubs. It's how the bartender hears your voice above all others. It's why the hair stylist always makes room for you at times you need. It's what tells the maitre'd that you always have your name down for dinner reservations.

Welcome to the big city, kids. You want good service, you gotta pay for it.
You're a joke.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM

838 posts, read 3,097,587 times
so somehow no one except softdev has commented on whether you should tip based on menu price or based on actual price of a massage?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
^ I tip between 15% and 25% most of the time for a massage based on the price of the massage. ^

Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Quote:
Well for me it depends on how good how good a job she does,how good looking the woman is, how large her boobs are and/or how much cleavage she shows, and whether or not I get a "happy ending."

So it drifts between 15% to 100% for me.

Best answer on here!lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago