Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM

55 posts, read 176,079 times

Advertisements

how is it around that area? our building has parking, but it is 175/mo. so we are considering getting one garage spot, and getting a city/zone sticker for the other car.

currently, we are both using the free parking along the park and it's terribad. my car is currently sandwiched in a spot that it was not meant to fit in that took me almost an hour to find.

will getting a zone pass be a significant enough improvement to manage, or should i just store my car somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 10:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Even with zoned parking it's still a PITA unless you're one of the first ones home after work. If you are, then you'll probably only have to park a block away.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Even with zoned parking it's still a PITA unless you're one of the first ones home after work. If you are, then you'll probably only have to park a block away.
i don't drive to work. for the most part, my car usage would be weekends only to head to the suburbs.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamjah View Post
i don't drive to work. for the most part, my car usage would be weekends only to head to the suburbs.
Then sell it and get an iGo or Zipcar membership.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Then sell it and get an iGo or Zipcar membership.
not an option. it's either park or leave it with a family member. is it really that awful? can you be a little more specific? like we talking hour+ to find parking on a saturday/sunday evening?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
^ Are you not the one that lives in that area? Why don't you go out and see for yourself? ^

Out of the goodness of our hearts one or several of us are going to drive around Diversey and Clark on a Saturday or Sunday night to see how difficult it is to find parking and how long it takes.

I honestly cannot think of a better way to spend a Saturday or Sunday evening.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
not an option. it's either park or leave it with a family member. is it really that awful? can you be a little more specific? like we talking hour+ to find parking on a saturday/sunday evening?
Then leave it with a family member.

It's just not worth it to have an occasional use car in that area. If selling is not an option, move to a neighborhood where parking two cars is more feasible.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
^ Are you not the one that lives in that area? Why don't you go out and see for yourself? ^

Out of the goodness of our hearts one or several of us are going to drive around Diversey and Clark on a Saturday or Sunday night to see how difficult it is to find parking and how long it takes.

I honestly cannot think of a better way to spend a Saturday or Sunday evening.
yes, because that was exactly what i was hoping random people on the internet would do for me. nope, i wasn't looking for insight from people who already live or have lived in the area which would save me the time and money of getting a city sticker, trying out the parking situation for a several month before finding out if it is good or bad. nope, not that, STRICTLY a good Samaritan favor from random people.... smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Then leave it with a family member.

It's just not worth it to have an occasional use car in that area. If selling is not an option, move to a neighborhood where parking two cars is more feasible.
yeah, i'll probably end up leaving it w/ family. thx for the opinion/info.

you too Dover

Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Quote:
yes, because that was exactly what i was hoping random people on the internet would do for me. nope, i wasn't looking for insight from people who already live or have lived in the area which would save me the time and money of getting a city sticker, trying out the parking situation for a several month before finding out if it is good or bad. nope, not that, STRICTLY a good Samaritan favor from random people.... smartass...
First off I was joking. If you can't take a joke I don't know what to tell you.

Second, you pretty much answered your own question when you asked the question to begin with:

Quote:
...currently, we are both using the free parking along the park and it's terribad. my car is currently sandwiched in a spot that it was not meant to fit in that took me almost an hour to find...
Third, I don't understand why you didn't research the area you moved to better BEFORE you moved there. You could have asked us before you moved. Then again, maybe you did and forgot to check to see if we responded.

================================================== =====
Anyway good luck.

And yeah I would leave the car with a family member.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
First off I was joking. If you can't take a joke I don't know what to tell you.

Second, you pretty much answered your own question when you asked the question to begin with:

Third, I don't understand why you didn't research the area you moved to better BEFORE you moved there. You could have asked us before you moved. Then again, maybe you did and forgot to check to see if we responded.

================================================== =====
Anyway good luck.

And yeah I would leave the car with a family member.
ability to have a car with me in the city wasn't make or break on the area i chose to live in based on my current job situation (cta to/from work). at best it's a perk. just wanted to see my options (if any).

and i'm well aware that your post was dripping with sarcasm. but you still told me to go out and check it out for myself, which i obviously am trying to avoid the hassle of by asking on a city forum. and i don't see how that sentence could have been interpreted as a joke.

and yes, based on what i've seen from the free parking situation, i already kind of assumed that zone parking wouldn't be much of an improvement, but it doesn't hurt to get some input from people who have been there/done that.

and finally, thanks. i most likely will go that route
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago