Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:53 PM

7 posts, read 34,674 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was recently gifted a round trip ticket to anywhere I wanted to go, and I picked Chicago! I am from Reno, NV and have lived in Maui and Portland as well. I don't know why I want to go there so badly, it is just a feeling! So.. can anyone tell me what is great about Chicago
Also: *What is a safe area of the city for me to stay alone? *What do you think it would cost me to stay for 4 days food wise since I will be eating out? (I have simple needs, I am happy with burgers and sandwiches) * What are fun cheap things to do, that involve water, art, or sports?* What is better trains or buses? *And lastly, anything that as a single female I should watch out for? Safety wise? Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,034 times
What are fun cheap things to do?

The Art Institute is free Thursdays from 5-8pm.

The MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art) is free every Tuesday.

The lakefront parks and beaches are always free.

The Chicago Cultural Center has free art exhibits and performance (Google it for more detailed info).

Sports stuff isn't free, but fun, go to a White Sox or Cubs game. Tickets for a single seat are actually not too expensive and easier to find. Try stubhub.com

Good luck.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
The vast majority of hotels are located in safe areas. The ones that aren't likely won't be showing up in an orbitz search anyways.

Other touristy suggestions I approve - rent a bike and ride along the lakefront path. Take the architectural boat cruise. For a cheaper alternative, take one of the water taxis. The Chicago Water Taxi also offers stops to Ping Tom Park in Chinatown on the weekends.

If you're looking for casual fare foodwise, many places can be found where a meal will be in the $8-$15 range.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:05 PM

20 posts, read 67,030 times
I took a trip similar to yours a couple years ago- spur of the moment and didn't know much about the city. I stayed at the HI hostel downtown (HI - Chicago Hostel :: Hostel to Reserve in the United States) and enjoyed the experience, although it was sometimes hard to sleep due to people coming and going all night (shared room). But it was definitely a fun way to meet people and felt very safe. The hostel sometimes hosts free walking tours of downtown which can be fun, and they have a really good staff suggestion wall with ideas for things to do outside of the loop.

I second the suggestions for lakefront parks and renting a bike. (and the architectural tours are awesome, definitely worth a splurge). I'd also check out the history museum, art institute, museum of contemporary art- all have free visit days which you could hit if you time it well. Museum of Surgical Sciences is awesome, too, if you're into that kind of thing!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 12,600 times
If I were you, I'd stay either on Michigan Avenue (loads of hotels) or at one of the smaller hotels in Lincoln Park (i.e. Park Inn, Ambassador East) or Lakebview (i.e. the Days Inn). You'll get more of a neighborhood feel if you stay off Michigan Avenue. That is where all the big shopping and tourists are.

Foodwise, Chicago is like any other city -- you can eat as cheaply or expensively as you choose.

If you like kayaking (or even if you've never tried it), I highly recommend going on a tour with Chicago Kayak. They send out groups at various times -- the evening trips are fun -- you kayak down the river through downtown to Navy Pier on Wednesday and Saturday nights to watch the fireworks. Would be a fun thing to do on your own, and the city views are amazing, especially at night. Don't worry if you've never done it before -- they teach you all you need to know. Costs about $50 for a three hour tour/rental. You can get details on their website.

If you like shopping, also check out the Armitage/Halsted area in Lincoln Park -- lots of cute boutiques, and historic buildings. Belmont/Clark in Lakeview also has some cool shops.

Depending on when you are coming, also google for chicago events or festivals. There are loads of neighborhood festivals in Chicago during the summer/early fall that are a lot of fun.

As far as museums, I like the Art Institute and the Museum of Science and Industry and Adler Planetarium. You might also check out Navy Pier, just to see it. I also second the architectural boat tour on the river.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:08 PM

838 posts, read 3,097,587 times
make sure the architectural boat tour is by CFA

Old 08-18-2009, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 34,674 times
Default what is fun ALONE in Chicago? locals....HELP

I am a 27 year old female taking a solo vacation to Chicago this Friday! I have looked at so many websites about where to go and what to see! Where is the best view...Hancock observatory..or Sears Tower? Is the Buckingham fountain best late at night? But more than that...clubs pubs or bars that a single girl can get a drink and hangout with no problems and minimal meat market guys and scantily glad girls. What is something to see that no book would say? Thanks!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
For bars - get to the Violet Hour on the early side, sit at the bar, and talk to the bartender about how he makes the drinks.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,446,874 times
^^What's early for that bar? There's a line of desperate looking hipsters standing out there waiting to get in by 8:30.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:20 PM

367 posts, read 917,998 times
I'm hoping all the guys shut up now. I would love to read a vibrant discussion among women in Chicago on the pubs and bars they love going to alone to hang and have drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: