Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 24,269 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in Chicago just over a year, so we aren't that familiar with the city. We currently live in Lakeview, and love it. However, he just started attending UIC, and we would like to move closer to campus--if we can find an affordable and safe place.

We don't have a car, so we have to live close to buses and trains.

We are 30 and white.

We are looking for something $1200 or less.

We like being able to walk to the grocery store, library, etc.

We like to go out occasionally, but night life isn't a big factor for us.

So Lakeview is great for these things, and from the other threads I have read, it seems a lot of people think this.
Are there any neighborhoods near UIC that are safe for 30 year old married white couple, who walk and use public transportation? I've read mixed reviews of University Village and Pilsen, so I am skeptical of both of those neighborhoods. We have also talked about living close to a blue line stop, because even that would shorten his commute. Any neighborhoods along those stops? I was thinking Logan Square, but now after reading several posts it seems that wouldn't be the best place.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
I would go with Bucktown,Wicker Park,Noble Square,East Ukrainian Village,West Town...

Old 08-25-2009, 06:27 AM

440 posts, read 1,502,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP614 View Post
k this.
Are there any neighborhoods near UIC that are safe for 30 year old married white couple, who walk and use public transportation? I've read mixed reviews of University Village and Pilsen, so I am skeptical of both of those neighborhoods.

Thanks!
Frankly, I am skeptical about you being able to find anything decent in University Village, or anywhere near UIC for $1200 or less, so your skepticism is well-placed.

East Pilsen is probably where you belong, but since you are obviously too good for that, you should porbably make it easy on yourself, postpone the moving project, and work on your superiority complex instead.

All you really need is to be near the Halsted bus.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:11 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
How in hell did you get "I'm too good to live in Pilsen" from his post. All I read was a post from someone who doesn't know the city wondering where to live. The only person in this thread who has indicated he/she has a complex is you for jumping down the OPs throat because he admitted reading mixed reviews of Pilsen. I've read mixed reviews of Pilsen too, but unlike the OP, I know loads of people who live there so I take them for what they are worth, perhaps he does not.

If you want to remain on the northside but live reasonably close to UIC, I would suggest trying to live off of the Chicago stop on the Blue Line. You'll be reasonably close to the Halsted Bus and to UIC via the train. There are some decent deals in the area, so you should be able to find, at the very least, a one bedroom in your price range. As you become more familiar with the area surrounding UIC (attending UIC will help), then you'll be able to make a more informed decision on whether or not that area is for you.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,932 times
You can find some 1 and 2br places on the UIC campus for around 1200 (the 2br will probaly be vintage for that price tag). Stay north of Roosevelt and generally the closer to Harrison the better. You can find some nice places closer to Western for that price range but then you will be looking at a bus ride to campus and that area is more sketchy.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:00 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,827,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I would go with Bucktown,Wicker Park,Noble Square,East Ukrainian Village,West Town...

doesnt all these neighborhoods have gang presence?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:34 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
doesnt all these neighborhoods have gang presence?
Is there a place in Chicago (or any other large city) without gang presence?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Frankly, I am skeptical about you being able to find anything decent in University Village, or anywhere near UIC for $1200 or less, so your skepticism is well-placed.

East Pilsen is probably where you belong, but since you are obviously too good for that, you should porbably make it easy on yourself, postpone the moving project, and work on your superiority complex instead.

All you really need is to be near the Halsted bus.
you're the only one that has a complex. issues much?

I lived in Pilsen and have mixed feelings about if the OP did their research and aren't comfortable w/ that area, there's nothing wrong w/ that. let's not pretend Pilsen, either East or further west, is the perfect area for everyone

Old 08-25-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
How in hell did you get "I'm too good to live in Pilsen" from his post. All I read was a post from someone who doesn't know the city wondering where to live. The only person in this thread who has indicated he/she has a complex is you for jumping down the OPs throat because he admitted reading mixed reviews of Pilsen. I've read mixed reviews of Pilsen too, but unlike the OP, I know loads of people who live there so I take them for what they are worth, perhaps he does not.
And what "mixed reviews" have you ever read or heard about University Village or West Loop for a 30-something white couple? Sorry, but that premise is so ridiculous it does not warrant a straight answer.

The reality is that these people can't afford University Village or West Loop. Plain and simple.

What they CAN afford is East Pilsen, Bridgeport, Tri Taylor, and possibly East Taylor Street, all of which they already know about, but none of which is acceptable because they are not the kind of people to leave the Great White Homeland, as evidenced by the fact that the OP felt compelled to make a point of his/her whiteness.

So hold the "mixed reviews" hooey: what these people want is a place where the faces are white, the rents are cheap, as close to UIC as possible. In that order. What that criteria buys is a 45 minute commute. I hope they enjoy it.

I also hope they enjoy their time at college, although I suspect they will be giving UIC "mixed reviews" when they realize that white people are not a majority there.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
you're the only one that has a complex. issues much?

I lived in Pilsen and have mixed feelings about if the OP did their research and aren't comfortable w/ that area, there's nothing wrong w/ that. let's not pretend Pilsen, either East or further west, is the perfect area for everyone
What I said is East Pilsen is what the OP could AFFORD, not "Pilsen flipping wonderful".

And when exactly did YOU live directly south of UIC? Uhhhh - didn't think so.

If you did, you would know that Pilsen changes dramatically west of Morgan. Its a fact, and everyone who lives around here (and has anything besides shirt for brains) knows to stay east of Racine. Its not a perfect world, but it is the world we are living in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago