Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:48 PM

6 posts, read 7,364 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at options for places to move and have gone through the stickies and a lot of other threads and even searched for some apts online but I'm still not quite sure about all this...

I'm 26, single, will travel out of town 2-4 weekends a month, currently have a car, will probably be working downtown, like to go out and party on weekends but keep fairly low key during the week and go to the gym very often. So I am thinking my ideal options are Wicker Park and Bucktown but Lincoln Park and Lakeview seem like options as well. A one bedroom would be ideal but I can do a studio or share a room in a two bedroom if need be. The main thing for me is having lots of counter space in the kitchen (which appears rare for some reason), a big bedroom and closet (preferably walk-in) as well as being close to the action and transportation. I'm thinking I'm also going to need parking space because I think having my own car is the cheapest option for the weekend trips. Everything else is a bonus.

Is all this possible for under $800/month or am I being unrealistic? I see some stuff in that price range when looking around but there is such a wide variance that I wonder if it is out of the way a bit or not in an ideal location. Also, are any of these neighborhoods better suited for someone who has a car? Seems like I'll spend maybe $150 on parking/month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM

838 posts, read 3,097,917 times
I cannot speak for neighborhoods, but $800 a month is on the VERY low end of a studio in Lincoln Park. At that price point, finding ample counter space is next to impossible. I'd say probably enough space for a coffee maker and a toaster, maybe a microwave. If you are ok with a 200 sf studio with no kitchen, no closet and a tiny bath, enough room for a full size bed, but not big enough for a queen, look into wrightwood place, near wrightwood and hampden, they have studios for rent for $500-600 a month

Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,962,511 times
travel out of town 2-4 times a month? Split a place with a room mate

Old 09-09-2009, 04:09 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,447,540 times
You are being completely unrealistic. Branch out. Maybe try Avondale/Logan Square where finding a rental with a parking spot/garage included is more common place. As for the kitchen, buy a mobile chopping block island on craigslist or at target for the extra counter space. You will not find sprawling granite counter tops (and very likely not find a walk-in closet) on your budget unless you want to live in Garfield Park.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times
I was looking through the Chicago reader and I just have to ask...

Who would pay $1,600 a month in rent to live in Evanston?

To be realistic, in the whole of Chicago there are only a handful of very specific places which command that pricing. That's more than a mortgage.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM

Really? $1600 for a two bedroom doesn't seen THAT far off - that would be $800/month with a roommate. I figured the studio or one BD might be a bit far fetched but the two BD is unrealistic too??

I get the point about parking space being unrealistic in wicker park/bucktown - I was afraid of that. I was thinking that I could maybe pick some place in another neighborhood to stash my car since I can get by only using it on weekends and can take public transportation to get to the car if need be. So minus the parking space is a $1600 wicker park/bucktown 2 BD with good counter space (or space to put a mobile chopping block) and a walk-in closet (or at least big closet) with room for a queen bed still unrealistic? If so, what would be the expected price for something like this?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:38 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,447,540 times
You can do a two bedroom but that seemed like something you'd only do if you have to. You might end up paying a greater portion of the rent or agree to pay the utilities and split the rent in 1/2 if you want a place with a large master w/walk-in closet and a smaller 2nd bedroom. I'd be weary about parking your car in a separate neighborhood. It behooves you to park within your ward so you'll see street reminders or be able to receive email reminders from your alderman about street cleaning and road closures, otherwise those tickets will add up quickly.

Why do you need to be in WP/Bucktown? You can swing more for your money and still be near a train stop if you expand to Noble Square or Logan Square on the blue line or better (cheaper) yet Albany Park on the brown line where you'll be able to swing a 1 bedroom/large studio in your budget.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Well it doesn't have to be WP/Bucktown, but from all the threads I've read so far, it just seemed like the ideal spot for a single 26 year old male. Maybe WP/Bucktown is overrated then? I don't really know much about Chicago yet.

I could afford more for rent if WP/Bucktown is worth the price. But I'm still not quite sure what I'd be paying and if it is worth the extra premium or not.

Currently, in West Des Moines, I'm paying $750 ($375 for my half) for a huge 2 BD with free parking and every perk you could imagine so even though I can afford double what I'm paying now it just seems like I'm going overboard

Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 PM

838 posts, read 3,097,917 times
Now for $1500, we are talking about a decent one bedroom (>700 sf, modern kitchen, hardwood, newer construction etc)in Lincoln Park that may or may not cover parking. Parking is usually rented separately in LP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
Well it doesn't have to be WP/Bucktown, but from all the threads I've read so far, it just seemed like the ideal spot for a single 26 year old male. Maybe WP/Bucktown is overrated then? I don't really know much about Chicago yet.

I could afford more for rent if WP/Bucktown is worth the price. But I'm still not quite sure what I'd be paying and if it is worth the extra premium or not.

Currently, in West Des Moines, I'm paying $750 ($375 for my half) for a huge 2 BD with free parking and every perk you could imagine so even though I can afford double what I'm paying now it just seems like I'm going overboard

Old 09-09-2009, 08:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
Unless one makes 75k a year or more-paying 1500 a month in rent for a one bedroom is just plain stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago