Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 03:57 PM

6 posts, read 25,808 times

Advertisements

Does any one live in the immediate vicinity of foster and kedzie? Know about it? Is it safe? I fell in love with an apartment in the neighborhood but have heard of some active gangs in the surronding areas. I have a two year old and a baby who I take out by myself only during the day. I get distracted enough chasing them so I don't need to worry too much about "watching my back." I know about the albany park area around Lawrence and Kedzie, is this the same neighborhood, or is it a different situation? What is going on with the whole area East of North Park University and West of the river (st. louis to kedzie between foster and brywn mawr)? Is it safe? Family oriented?

I like the ethnic diversity and really want something in walking distance to a nice park. What's your suggestions? I need to stay somewhere on the NW side of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 04:15 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,159 times
The gang stuff starts around Argyle,and the Chicago river going Southwest.

Between Foster and Bryn Mawr it is fine.
Although I have heard of the white gang (Royals) having a set up there on Bryn Mawr and Spaulding.
But they're not on anything.

The area is better then the Lawrence and Kedzie area, so if you think that's fine.....you'll be even better there.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:31 PM

6 posts, read 25,808 times
Thanks. That is helpful to know. I figured it was safer, I just want to be sure there are no real problems that would make me not want to live there. I probably would not like living down by the lawerence/kedzie area because of the safety issue. Gangs and I have heard of muggings and what not. How would you rate the safety of walking (single man) from kedzie/foster to anslie and the river at 4:30am- 6:00am or 10:00pm-11:00pm? (as if that is really a safe time to be walking around anywhere anyways)

Old 09-23-2009, 05:07 PM

At 10 to 11PM there's still some people walking around so it's okay.

At 4:30AM-6 AM you could encounter some dangers....

Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM

60 posts, read 173,116 times
I live on foster and kedzie.Those neighborhoods are great to live.You are always going to see gangs all around chicago ,,,even in the best areas in the city.Now what you dont want is a neighborhood infested meaning that they have big hoods.Likw humbolt park,kedzie and montrose,north and kedzie,wilson and brodway,fullerton and kostner, etc.... The biggest set there is around albany park is Lawrence and kedzie and yet you dont see them to often ...good luck

Old 09-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Biggest set is actually Leland and KEdzie with the Familia stones
They spread down to Addison ave East to Horner Park West to Kimball

Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 AM

233 posts, read 701,122 times
When we first moved to Chicago eons ago we lived on the 5200 block of North Sawyer. What a different time and an idyllic world compared to today. In the half century or so since then the neighborhood has held up pretty well, of course there have been massive changes in the ethnic mix. It was Swedish in the area close to North Park College (it wasn't a University then) where we lived and mostly Jewish everywhere else. Peterson elementary school was about 80% or more Jewish. The neighborhood looked great and there was virtually no crime. I really miss Lorees which was at 3232 W Foster. They made the best ice cream sundaes on the planet. Anyway as for the OP, in 2009 Chicago that area is not bad and a lot better than most. Good luck if you move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: