Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:19 PM

506 posts, read 2,573,742 times

Advertisements

Do restaurants do this for you? Say you have 6 people at dinner, will the restaurant give each person a bill for the food that they ordered so that everyone can pay separately? When we used to live there we would usually just divide the bill evenly amongst everyone despite how much someone ate or drank (we didn't really have any "over-eaters" in the group though) so we would usually just toss our cards/cash in after someone made the calculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:49 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Do restaurants do this for you? Say you have 6 people at dinner, will the restaurant give each person a bill for the food that they ordered so that everyone can pay separately? When we used to live there we would usually just divide the bill evenly amongst everyone despite how much someone ate or drank (we didn't really have any "over-eaters" in the group though) so we would usually just toss our cards/cash in after someone made the calculation.
Depends on the restaurant, but most will divide it for you.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
If you've got 6 people, I'd highly advise letting the server know ahead of time.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:48 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Don't many places automatically lump it all into one bill and automatically add 18%? That's a pretty large group.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM

102 posts, read 332,552 times
Most places will split the check for you, but there can be limitations. I worked in a restaurant that specifically wouldn't split checks for tables with more than six people. As for the gratuity added, as Manheim mentioned: Most restaurants use computers to compute the check, and so the gratuity will automatically be split appropriately among all the checks.

I definitely recommend letting your server know in advance if there are going to be more than two separate checks or if it may be really complicated to figure out later. (sometimes no one remembers how many drinks they've had when everyone's been drinking) 

Old 11-02-2009, 08:33 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
A lot of places will only split the check two or three ways, and usually a group of six will have an 18% gratuity added to the check.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you've got 6 people, I'd highly advise letting the server know ahead of time.
Some places, it doesn't matter, if you tell them you have 6 people and want it split they won't do it. Or, even better, they won't split one person out because that person is leaving early. Those are the places I won't patronize anymore.

It seems to be a Chicago thing... everywhere else I've ever lived they will ask you if you want separate checks to begin with. Here they just assume that everybody wants to spend 15 minutes figuring out how to split their bill.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:22 AM

102 posts, read 332,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Some places, it doesn't matter, if you tell them you have 6 people and want it split they won't do it. Or, even better, they won't split one person out because that person is leaving early. Those are the places I won't patronize anymore.

It seems to be a Chicago thing... everywhere else I've ever lived they will ask you if you want separate checks to begin with. Here they just assume that everybody wants to spend 15 minutes figuring out how to split their bill.
Just thought I'd mention that the restaurant I worked in that didn't allow split checks for tables of more than six wasn't in Chicago, it was in Florida.

I've been to restaurants in many states, and rarely have I ever been asked if I wanted the check split. You really should let the server know if you plan to split up the check.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Some places, it doesn't matter, if you tell them you have 6 people and want it split they won't do it.
Which is exactly why I advise asking ahead of time, because it sucks to learn this only after you've all been served your meals.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Which is exactly why I advise asking ahead of time, because it sucks to learn this only after you've all been served your meals.
Absolutely! My problem comes when I try to ask them and they have a fit about it. That's when I either don't order anything or leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago