Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 PM

47 posts, read 155,488 times

Advertisements

I am a 29 year old woman moving by myself to Chicago around April (March is too cold and the roads) and I have a couple of questions.

Since I'm moving by myself, could someone suggest a good neighborhood that's relatively safe.

I don't know many people in Chicago and I heard crime is kind of high but I want to rent an apartment in an new neighborhood where I can fend for myself better.

Also I make around 30000 a year, is there a safe, kind of inexpensive neighborhood that fits my profile?

Thank you for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,644,071 times
come on, you're coming from Milwaukee and you're worried about the crime in Chicago?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:05 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,409,581 times
The crime here is no worse than in Milwaukee. There are some lousy neighborhoods that hurt the city statistics, but most of the neighborhoods are just fine. Check through this forum. You'll find lots of threads on this.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,546,260 times
Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wrigleyville are nice, safe, and tons of fun for a single girl, but they are also kind of pricey. Some safe areas that are a little more budget friendly are Lincoln Square, Andersonville, Jefferson Park. All these neighborhoods are on the el (train) to get downtown if you need to.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:53 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,225,318 times
Check http://www.chicagocrime.org for stats on crime. One thing to keep in mind is that assaults that happen around 2AM are generally fights that happen when a bar closes (that one one thing makes Wrigleyville, a generally safe area, look like a war zone in certain months).

Andersonville is great, very safe and neighborhoody. It makes a great neighborhood to start out in and then explore the rest of the city.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:08 AM

47 posts, read 155,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
come on, you're coming from Milwaukee and you're worried about the crime in Chicago?

I have never lived in a high crime area in Milwaukee. I have never had any concerns. I lived on the east side in Milwaukee and the Northwest side and have never experience any kind of high crime by me. Sorry.

Also my family is here in Milwaukee so if I need anything my family is here to help me but I'm moving to Chicago by myself so that's why I'm concerned a little.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:33 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,258,059 times
You need to figure out what your budget is for rent. Exactly how much per month do you want to spend?

Old 10-11-2007, 11:17 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,409,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle29 View Post
I have never lived in a high crime area in Milwaukee. I have never had any concerns. I lived on the east side in Milwaukee and the Northwest side and have never experience any kind of high crime by me. Sorry.

Also my family is here in Milwaukee so if I need anything my family is here to help me but I'm moving to Chicago by myself so that's why I'm concerned a little.
Your concern is understandable. The solution you'll find from folks here is to avoid high-crime areas in Chicago, too. Just like in Milwaukee, those are available. SBD78's recommendations were pretty good.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,810,661 times
You'll do fine. Lots of people move by themselves from Milwaukee to Chicago(or vice versa) ....or even across the country or Internationally.

Yours is a short distance from where you are, and from your family.(always accessible via day trip or weekend) You just need to find a neighborhood(Chicago is a city of neighborhoods) and get in your routine and you'll do fine. Your neighborhood will shrink the size of the city for you a lot and quickly. You have a lot of choices.

Moving to another city by yourself brings natural nervousness for anyone of any age or gender. You'll find out that it won't be a big deal.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:31 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,429,057 times
I have to agree on this one. The move from Mil-Town to Chi-Town is a very common move, and besides the fact that Chicago is a much bigger city with a faster pace, it's really not going to be all that drastic of a change (especially because Milwaukee is also a city and not a country area). I'd say that moving to New York City, Los Angeles, or Miami would possibly be a bigger cultural shock (maybe more of a financial shock actually in NYC particularly), compared to moving to Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
You'll do fine. Lots of people move by themselves from Milwaukee to Chicago(or vice versa) ....or even across the country or Internationally.

Yours is a short distance from where you are, and from your family.(always accessible via day trip or weekend) You just need to find a neighborhood(Chicago is a city of neighborhoods) and get in your routine and you'll do fine. Your neighborhood will shrink the size of the city for you a lot and quickly. You have a lot of choices.

Moving to another city by yourself brings natural nervousness for anyone of any age or gender. You'll find out that it won't be a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: